LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 26, 2007, 9:37 pm 

I found a nice selection on www.McMaster.com . I especially like the PN: 1070A79

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 9:46 am 

I went with these units from Speedway instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 11:23 am 

I picked up a pair of these on my last Aircraft Spruce order. They look the same as many of the mcmaster pieces only much cheaper.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... atches.php

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 2:11 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I like the L6000190. Turn the key and the handle pops out:

http://www.hanayainc.com/downloads/cata ... dle002.pdf

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 8:56 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Instead of external latches, the miata donor hood latch and cable could be used. 1/2" square tube can be used around the edge, heated and bent to match the hood radius, and riveted to the skin to maintain alignment of the panels. The hinges at the front and the latching loop would attach at the rear. The hinge pivots can be quick release for complete hood removal without tools. The latch would have slotted mounting for tension adjustment.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 4:09 pm 

Chet,

I also purchased the rubber jobs from Speedway, then decided I didn't like them. I then bought the 1864A17 stainless steel adjustable draw latches with a safety catch. A little pricey, but I like them a lot better. I wasn't sure how well I would be able to paint the cad plated latches and the SS I can just leave as is.

As it turns out, I may not need latches at all. With the way my one piece hood/nose is hinged at the front, it just lays down and doesn't move even at freeway speeds.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 5:45 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

But at rest, couldn't a strong gust of wind lift it? Or worse, if you're on-track and spin backwards, would the hood catch air then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 8:54 pm 

Hey if your spinning backwards then the hood flying off should be the least of your worries. :shock:

I should get the Speedway latches tomorrow. I'll post a pic when I get them installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 9:26 pm 
The voice of reason

Spinning a car isn't that unusual. It is also likely to be part of the learning curve for many people transitioning from heavier and/or street cars to a car like a Seven. It will simply swap ends before you even notice the first time.

And it would be a little unusual for a spin to cause damage. With any luck you wouldn't hit anything. Obviously, your rolling the dice here, but it would be a shame to rip the nose / hood off and destroy them.

I don't think any clubs would allow it, if they notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 10:57 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Spinning a car isn't that unusual. It is also likely to be part of the learning curve for many people transitioning from heavier and/or street cars to a car like a Seven. It will simply swap ends before you even notice the first time.

And it would be a little unusual for a spin to cause damage. With any luck you wouldn't hit anything. Obviously, your rolling the dice here, but it would be a shame to rip the nose / hood off and destroy them.

I don't think any clubs would allow it, if they notice.

Well it is certainly safer than when the hood flew up on the car I was drafting down the straight at CMP one year.

Well yes, on a track you might not hurt anything, but I was thinking of the roads I drive on around here. All you will find on the sides of our twisting mountain roads are cliffs, trees, guard rails, gulleys or river banks. A spin on the roads I drive would likely be tragic. I had some school friends come to my home in WV from Minneapolis MN with me over spring break one year. Those guys were crapping their pants constantly and were at all times convinced we were going to die when I drove to Snowshoe mountain at the posted limit on dry roads. Those poor flatlanders never came back.

Regardless I will be clamping on both ends of the hood. A hood clamped only from the front is liable to lift or otherwise part ways with the car if you got in the aero wash (or whatever you call the area of low pressure/turbulence) of a semi at highway speeds. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 11:50 pm 
The voice of reason

I agree, Chet. These country roads in the Northeast also take a toll.

Locost_Johnh, I wouldn't say the car isn't drivable without the latches, but in the long run you should do something for things like that. You can get away with things, but making a habit of doing it is kind of trolling for trouble. And these things will swap ends in a heartbeat. The first time, you will be backwards before you notice it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2008, 12:18 pm 

I got them today and they are crap indeed. Shortened rubber bungees is all they are. I thought I was ordering rubber covered latches and I got some rubber bungees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2008, 4:19 pm 

KB58 wrote:
But at rest, couldn't a strong gust of wind lift it? Or worse, if you're on-track and spin backwards, would the hood catch air then?

Well, it might be unpleasant, but by that time I would be needing the rear view more than the front. ;-) Actually, the latches will help hold the hood to the form of the scuttle lip so the edges all blend well. I wanted the safety catch type latches so they wouldn't rattle open on their own.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11, 2008, 4:24 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
And these things will swap ends in a heartbeat. The first time, you will be backwards before you notice it...

You are right there... two firsts that time - first ride for my mom and the first time the back end passed the front. Now she has a great story to tell and I'll never hear the end of it. :oops:

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12, 2008, 5:14 am 

I am using a set of hood latches from a wrecked 2006 freightliner. A bit on the large size, but I know they will hold. Also, free. I imagine those that go junking could pick these up for free or for very little cash, esp since they are pretty cheap new.