LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 5, 2019, 1:36 am 

Every now and then Kinetic takes on a short term Real Job, which temporarily diminishes my Locost output*. Sometimes it's something extra cool (fx and on-location engineering work for James Bond movies, for example) and my latest is as a member of a crew making a bunch of models of luminescent fishes for a museum, thanks to my composite and model making experience, plus the fact that the primary contractor is my kid brother. We started the project in late November, and the plan was to keep me for a month to six weeks, but it has turned into two months to twelve weeks.

We have composite turtles and rays and sharks stacked up like cordwood, and 120 imitation goatfish hanging from the ceiling, and the checks are clearing, and I'm in Monterey CA which is a bunch warmer than Fortyfifth Parallel, OR, and there are many positive aspects, but then again, I have days I'd like to click my ruby slippers together and say "There's no place like home" three times.

So what's it to you, you might ask? Well, Locost parts are still shipping, as there's my partner/accomplice minding the store and all the fiberglassing and laser cutting is done out-of-house, but not all of the parts, because some of the fabbing** and packaging*** is done by Yours Truly.

Also I'm out of phone range, but I do have internet access, so best bet for contacting me is email. I apologize for the inconvenience, and when this is over I'll post another notice here.

*And on the bright side, temporarily increases Kinetic's income, which keeps the doors open, and keeps the IRS from classifying Kinetic as a "hobby".
**Windshield frames and stanchions, for example.
***E.g. I make the boxes for clamshell fenders

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 2:29 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
Another satisfied Kinetic customer here. I attached pics of my car with all of my unpainted glass bits all sourced from Kinetic. I'll post pics with the windsheild when I get it on.

Like the side bar. Going to add that to my American 7.

PostPosted: January 10, 2019, 12:49 am 

And get back to us on those clamshell fenders.

PostPosted: January 10, 2019, 1:53 am 

Clamshells are in production, both Series II size and 3" wider, but the boxes are weird and I'm the guy that makes the boxes from 96" x 48" sheets, and unless you're willing to come to Creswell Oregon to pick them up, they'll have to await my return...which could be as late as late February. I apologize for the inconvenience, and my first job on my return will be shipping those orders that require my (cough, cough) irreplaceable personal skills..

PostPosted: January 10, 2019, 9:56 am 

nick47 wrote:
And get back to us on those clamshell fenders.

I'll second this. In my case, I need to figure out if the 3" wider ones would cover my front track, so I need some dimensions. Posted photos with dimensions annotated on them would be even better.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 10, 2019, 10:14 am 

I would love to know more about 3" wider set. I live in Boise now and maybe could come get a set.

PostPosted: January 10, 2019, 9:20 pm 

I'd love to tell you more about those fenders, but I'm down in Monterey CA and the fenders are in Creswell OR.
Lonnie-S wrote:
...I need some dimensions. Posted photos with dimensions annotated on them would be even better.
Right you are; that would be much better. When I get home, first I'll ship the parts that have been ordered, then I'll take fender pics and fire up the annotizer. It looks like a full March for Yours Truly; there's no rest for the wicked, as Micah used to say.