LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rockauto.com
PostPosted: October 1, 2010, 5:13 pm 

I just bought 2 TRW lower Chevette ball joints from Rockauto. Both were TRW but from different manufacturing plants I assume. One was nice and loose - just the part for a Locost. The other was very stiff. I emailed them about the problem. They asked for a picture showing the difference between the joints so a "manager in the warehouse" could see which one I needed. A day after I sent the picture via email, I received an email confirming shipment of the "loose" part. They even said keep the other one as a spare!! These guys are GREAT!!!

JR (not J.R.)

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: February 15, 2011, 5:07 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Yes, they have a great customer service attitude. I use them a great deal.

The fridge magnets are now shipped in the outside envelope, but only on orders they process; not the ones that ship direct from the mfg.

The 5% discount code is emailed a few weeks after an order is delivered. They also post a non-customer specific discount code on certain forums. Discount codes are good for two months.

Anytime you need a discount code, just do a google search and there will be several online with expiration dates.

I know we all want to help each other, but I advise against posting your emailed code, since your order number and personal info are obtainable with a little more information.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: February 20, 2011, 11:27 pm 

No problem here with RockAuto. I actually got valve stem seals for my Toyota 20 valve from them. I found the seals are the same as a Prius so I bought 2 sets (have some spares) as the Prius is a 16 valve. The two sets cost about $40 shipped. The price from Toyota was $8.16 each seal times 20 is :roll: ......$163.20. I am a RockAuto faithful.
:cheers:

PostPosted: July 8, 2011, 1:53 am 

Bought a clutch alignment tool and a clutch slave cylinder. Neither was the correct one.
Freight costs to return them would have been a wash.

PostPosted: July 31, 2012, 8:21 am 

105905578703782 - Exp. Sept. 30th.

As far as my experience with RockAuto? AWESOME. -- I ordered parts Friday morning, and they were at my door Saturday around noon. Didn't pay for expedited/overnight shipping or anything. Parts came days before the expected delivery date! AND everything was right, to boot!

This build is already locosting a fortune...

PostPosted: July 31, 2012, 12:38 pm 

i use rock auto but don't like the shipping charges if all the parts you order come from different warehouses

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: July 31, 2012, 1:23 pm 

Quote:
use rock auto but don't like the shipping charges if all the parts you order come from different warehouses

This may be why.....

Quote:
RockAuto customers choose their own parts using our online catalog. We ship directly to our customers from wholesale warehouses or manufacturers. We have no retail stores, no counter-people and we don't have a lot of money tied up in slow-moving inventory.

I can sometimes get a better price out of Amazon.com when Amazon carries the part, not from a 2nd party. But with their (sometimes) free shipping, I find that the time it takes from Amazon isn't worth the wait. RA has always been 1 or two day delivery except when they state it is from an oulying warehouse. When it comes to brakes etc, they have som many suppliers it may be worth getting a more expensive part if it comes from the same warehouse. You just have to do some homework.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 31, 2012, 9:58 pm 

A coworker, from Rockford IL, turned me on to these guys. Great great great idea.

Rock Auto tech support (yup, they have tech support!) is great.

And with their web site you can look up a part number, see what vehicles it was used on, and then get some ideas from there. Oh, and the pics of items sometimes are helpful too (ie, motor mounts).

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: June 5, 2014, 11:30 am 

Would anyone have the current disconnect number for Rockauto.
I'm planning placing a large $ order next week. Thanx Dave W

PostPosted: June 5, 2014, 8:47 pm 

rock auto.

well yes i use them but and thats a big BUT!!!

first off, the year, make and model of a vehicle are a matter of conjecture with rockauto, what it says on the vehicle vin plate as far as year of manufacture may not be what rockauto considers the model year of the vehicle, especially if you get the parts a year out and want to return them for free as supplied incorrectly!!!

the vin plate on the door says words to the effect that "this vehicle complies with emmission for **** it will also say manufactured on month/ year, this is not good enough for rockauto and if the parts are a year out, because the model year is later, you will be at fault and will have to pay to return them and shipping on the replacement parts, when manufacturers are introducing new models in April of one year and calling them a year newer there is a problem, even if the dealer refers to them by the date of manufacture on the vin plate, rock do not unless its the other way round. catch 22.

when you select the parts they always ship from different warehouses and if you try to select different manufacturers parts to correct this they will always update existing parts to a different warehouse and it is almost impossible to get everything from the same source, i have never been able to beat this in there system, you will always end up paying multiple shipping on your order!

sometimes the parts are nothing like what you ordered.

the prices are generally better than Autozone of Orielys.

if you order from autozone there is some added benefit though especially if there is a core charge and you have to get the old parts returned, rockauto has to be shipped where as with Autozone you can drop them off at a store when you go by, this applies to incorrectly supplied parts as well.

autozone requires a zip code to be entered to get your price, they say it does not affect the price but it does by about 10-15% so pick a cheap zip code in a major city, you can have them shipped for that price to any u.s. zip code.

all in all, they are all at it in one way or another, just don't make NAPA your first choice or you may end up paying more than the dealer for parts, duratec pcv valve from blue spring ford $11.00, NAPA $40.00.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: June 9, 2014, 9:31 pm 

Quote:
Would anyone have the current disconnect number for Rockauto.
I'm planning placing a large $ order next week. Thanx Dave W

Dave, I just google something like Rock Auto discount code and always get something current. You can try to enter the code during checkout and if it doesn't work you try a different code. RA tells us to share the code when I get an email from them so it isn't anything sneaky.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766