LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 19, 2010, 2:24 pm 

So yesterday i came home and there was a box on my porch from Midwest Control. I was confused as to why so i opened it up and read the receipt. The receipt was dated March 2009! Back in March i made an order for threaded bungs online. Well after not getting anything for a week i called them and they said half my order was on back order. I understood that so before the order was processed i requested that the order be canceled. Well now nearly a year later i get my parts in the mail.

So i called and talked with a female that works for the company. She heard my story and said "we have no record of the order being canceled". I politely told her that it was in fact her that i talked to when i canceled it :shock: So she said she will have to talk to her "boss" and call me back to let me know if they can refund an order that i initially canceled!!! So needless to say im filing a complaint with my bank for the purchase.

Id give them an F minus thus far concerning their customer service. They dont inform you when parts are not in stock, they do not cancel orders when asked, they bill orders that have been canceled, and to top it all off they do not (as of now) refund for THEIR mistakes :x

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: January 19, 2010, 2:41 pm 
spindlefied

That's bizarre.

Where I work, a backorder that sits around for almost a year:

A) generates more than a few questions, and

B) warrants a phone call or email to the customer.

Up until now, I've heard nothing bad about Midwest. I used them without a problem. Obviously something here slipped through the cracks. My hope is that they'll make it right for you and we can change that F- to a near respectable D.

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

PostPosted: January 19, 2010, 3:18 pm 

Have placed and received several orders of rod ends from Midwest without any problems. However, there was not a backorder situation as did have all in stock.
Conversely, have not had good luck with electronics company with items backordered. So, maybe its a backorder thing which brings us back to customer service. Yup.

PostPosted: January 19, 2010, 11:48 pm 

I placed an order with midwest and they left some bungs out of my order. I ordered 11 of them (in case i bunged one of them up :) ) and they sent me 1. ONE. For some reason someone put a check mark next to that line on the order too, along with all the other lines..

I shot them an email and they get me the rest of the 10 though within a week or so.

PostPosted: January 20, 2010, 12:37 am 

My only complaint about Midwest is they don't account for inventory on their website. You have to place your order then find out later if they have what you wanted. - Those parts I had to back order came within a few weeks without any major problems.
I'd use them again.

- Now Coveland on the other hand... ... ...

:)

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: January 20, 2010, 9:22 am 

I had only one experience with Midwest. I searched far and wide for weld bungs to match the tubing as I co-designed the two together for low cost. I placed an order with Midwest for parts that showed up in their online inventory and placed an order for the tubing elsewhere. A week later, Midwest got back to me to say the parts were out of stock. They didn't expect more inventory for several more months. My tubing had already been delivered. Needless to say, I cancelled the order and went elsewhere.

Their breadth of selection is great, prices are great and if you are lucky enough to order parts that actually are in stock, you might get good service. I personally can't speak to the latter. I'd give them a "MAYBE". IF, and that is a big IF, you are prepared to take the possible hit on your build schedule. I can't imagine that a professional builder would use them without some backup plan.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice......

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 20, 2010, 11:21 am 

Well they said now that i can return them, but i have to pay for shipping back. Its not a cost issue to me as much as its poor customer service. Why should i pay for shipping back if they never canceled my order when I requested it.

Next, if infact they did not cancel my order as requested, then why did I never receive an email to state that it would be a year before I got the parts? You would think that like 95% of the other companies out there they would return them with no problem and cover shipping.

Another thing that irritated me was when I was on the phone with her, she asked for my phone number and said she would call right back. Well over 24 hours later I get an email. I understand an email is easier, but if a customer has a problem you might as well take the more personal route and make a call like said.

Finally, I will use them again, but only for their prices. If I ever cancel an order again I will have them fax/email me a receipt that the order has been canceled.

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: January 20, 2010, 2:35 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, BD-
Long ago and far away, I worked with a fellow named Bill Miller. Bill was your basic crusty old B-st-rd. Retired military... Infantry... Officer... THE most eloquent cusser I ever heard.

Bill had a problem with an invoice from a consulting firm. He called them, told the person from accounting what the problem was, and that person said he'd have to ask his boss... Bill talked to the boss, got the same response.

He then started asking, first thing when the next person picked up the phone, "Do you have a supervisor? Let me talk to him." Sometimes it took more "eloquence" than others. When he went up about six levels, evidently the person answered "No." Bill said, "Good, you're the Son of a B---- I've been tryin' to reach for the last twenty G-- D--- minutes. Listen to me!" And went on from there. Problem was solved in about 2 minutes.

Not sayin' that technique would help your situation... But it sure would be fun to try, doncha think?

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 20, 2010, 3:25 pm 
Lumbering Giant

Have your credit card company stop the payment from them, and tell them that if they want the parts back they can send you a prepaid freight label, or whistle.

Climbing the org chart is good, too.

PostPosted: January 20, 2010, 8:09 pm 

Pete B wrote:
Have your credit card company stop the payment from them, and tell them that if they want the parts back they can send you a prepaid freight label, or whistle.

yup working my way up the scale now...

already put the hold payment on...

PostPosted: January 20, 2010, 8:31 pm 

Pete B wrote:

+1. I still have a coked up T3 turbo somewhere around here that some crooked junkyard peddled as "Grade A". :roll: I called my Mastercard company and told them that I wasn't satisfied with it and I wasn't paying for it nor was I paying to send it back. I had to write a couple letters and go through their "process" but in the end I got the card charge reversed and they never did send a call tag for the worthless turbo. So when making an online purchase always select "credit" and not "debit" when given an option. It's cheap insurance to protect you from unscrupulous BS like this.

Sounds to me like someone at Midwest screwed up, dropped the ball and now their trying to cover their ass. Like Mookie said, there is likely a system in place designed to catch these screwups before they become an issue.

But for the record I've used them a couple times and had no issues. Maybe next time I'll call to verify that my order is in stock.

PostPosted: January 21, 2010, 9:53 am 

Chetcpo said:
Quote:
Maybe next time I'll call to verify that my order is in stock.

This is probaly the best "takeaway" from this whole discussion. Good advice.

Chuck

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 25, 2010, 6:48 pm 

blue devil wrote:
Id give them an F minus thus far concerning their customer service. They dont inform you when parts are not in stock, they do not cancel orders when asked, they bill orders that have been canceled, and to top it all off they do not (as of now) refund for THEIR mistakes :x
Yeah.. something is wacky with these folks.. They fouled up my simple order.. promised me they'd do it right.. and then stiffed me for it too boot... and that was from her supervisor!!!

Read about my fun here.

Too many other places out there that value the biz... I'd suggest going somewhere beside.. MCP!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein