LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 12, 2019, 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 18, 2017, 9:26 pm 

I couldnt buy someone elses car as I would have to take it apart and make it "right".

But then again you could buy a finished car and run it and learn AutoX and just fix stuff the car is doing wrong.

Or you could do what loosecannon has done https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/scca-emod-mgb-gt-v12-build/26822/page1/ here.

PostPosted: January 18, 2017, 11:52 pm 

Heh, well, I've just made arrangements to pick up a frame this weekend. :)

I spoke with Chris at Haler Concepts and it turns out he has an extra frame that I've agreed to buy. I've also made contact with a gentleman who races a locost locally, and learned his shop has experience with these and should also be able to help me along the way. Getting pretty excited to start now!

PostPosted: January 19, 2017, 12:05 am 

Congratulations! You're off to a running start- now, the madness starts!

It's amazing how engrossing these cars are - I spend hours, every day, even when I'm not around the car, thinking about this detail or that, how I can fabricate this or that, etc. It never, ever ends!

Not that I'd want it to....

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 19, 2017, 12:24 am 

Thanks! I'm the exact same way. Haven't been able to think of much else lately. And I have a couple other advantages that should serve me well. I'm a professional mechanical designer with access to the full Autodesk Product Design Suite at work, I have some access to a lathe and milling machine, as well as a 3d printer. I plan to take advantage of those things as much as possible to make this car as awesome and unique as possible. I'm also a big fan of open source designs so I don't mind sharing the things I come up with.

I've already ordered "How to Build Motorcycle-engined Racing Cars" and will be buying more books soon. In the last few days I have learned a ton about suspension geometry, roll center, track width etc. And learning is one of the main things I want to get out of this, aside from a car that goes nicely around the track. Perhaps that will end up being a side effect more than anything else!

PostPosted: January 19, 2017, 1:40 am 

good luck with the build Ryan. Looking forward to seeing it soon at the track.

Bill

PostPosted: February 15, 2017, 2:56 pm 

ZiG wrote:

I spoke with Chris at Haler Concepts and it turns out he has an extra frame that I've agreed to buy.

Whats going on with Haler, is he shutting his Innisfail shop down and moving to Panama?

PostPosted: February 15, 2017, 11:34 pm 

Trochu wrote:
ZiG wrote:

I spoke with Chris at Haler Concepts and it turns out he has an extra frame that I've agreed to buy.

Whats going on with Haler, is he shutting his Innisfail shop down and moving to Panama?

Yup, already done in fact. Had to pick up the frame from a friend of his. He has a few jigs and one more frame left.

Here's the one I picked up, beside my current RX8 race car. The one thing I'm a bit worried about is one of the outboard corners on the back of the frame is slightly higher than the other. I'm hoping this won't affect anything and at worst I should be able to fix it by rewelding the top and bottom parts. You can sort of see it in the picture, though the angle of the shot doesn't really help. It's the round tube that X3 and X4 are holding up.

I am now on the hunt for a Yamaha R1. Just need to wait for it to warm up so people bring them out and start crashing them, haha.

Attachments:
16403287_10155088785694903_296580909264449853_o.jpg
16403287_10155088785694903_296580909264449853_o.jpg [ 310.79 KiB | Viewed 157 times ]
PostPosted: February 16, 2017, 9:42 am 

To straighten the rear of the frame you will want to cut [at a min] 5 or 6 of the rear frame tubes, i.e. section the longer tubes. Then use a racket strap to pull the section up until it straight. If it take more then a little effort you need to make more cuts. You do not want to have to use a lot of force, which means that you have built in stresses into the stucture. If it is really out of square, you may even have to cut free the top loop and RU1 and 2 tubes. It should not be difficult to straighten, just take your time and build off of a nice flat work surface. Also cut some drain holes, 3/4 to an inch Dia, in the center tunnel sheet metal area. Dave W