LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 20, 2014, 7:25 am 

While at the Carlisle Import Auto Show over the weekend I came across the one and only kit car vendor with a seven. CRS Inc had a display with their Capefear 7. I talked to Dave Culp, president of the company about his car for a good long while and took some pictures as well. The car on display was his daily driver and had about 30,000 miles.
Attachment:
IMG_0320.JPG

The car is Miata based and is meant to use the complete Miata suspension including A arms. He has heat and AC in his cartaken directly from the donor,
Attachment:
IMG_0316.JPG

The extra tall top on his personal car is so that his 6'5" son-law can drive the car. I don't think having the top this tall is a production item.
Attachment:
IMG_0313.JPG

The website below has information, though not all of the options are there because his wife made him take some down due to mis-spelled word.
http://www.capefear7.com/#
From talking to Dave I gathered that this company is something he is doing since he retired from the classic car restoration business.

My overall impression is that he is doing this because he enjoys it and isn't planning on being the next Factory Five.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 20, 2014, 8:52 am 
Locostering Legend

Interesting car. Not the most pleasing body shape but, it looks like a fairly complete kit.

With the engine that far forward, looks like driveshaft wasn't shortened. The frame photo on the website appears to allow/require removal of the PPF beam.

Luxury touring car with heat and AC.

That building was half empty. Looks like I didn't miss much by not attending this year.

PostPosted: May 20, 2014, 10:46 am 

The funny shape of the nose comes from the position of the MAF. If you moved the radiator forward and turned the intake plumbing towards the middle you could use a normal nose and make a hood. I think it would look much better that way.

I'd guess there was about a third of the kit car manufacturers that there used to be.

PostPosted: May 20, 2014, 12:18 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Run87k wrote:
... The car on display was his daily driver and had about 30,000 miles...

I want to live where he lives, where there's no sand, pebbles, or rocks that get kicked up by the front tires, damaging the rear fenders. I understand the "put your best foot forward" thing at a show, but showing a car with X miles on it is a little misleading if bodywork consumed by those miles have been replaced or repainted. Doing so implies that the rear fenders are impervious to damage, and while they have the coating, even that won't save them.

PostPosted: May 20, 2014, 1:06 pm 

Seriously, that looks like a nice Locost that's had an accident such as run off the track and hit the armco railing. The bonnet/hood line is just awful.

PostPosted: May 20, 2014, 4:24 pm 

She's not the prettiest I've seen.

ND Club Miata
Nissan Titan Sold
Rubi Wrangler
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: May 20, 2014, 4:30 pm 

Kind of awkward looking at best. But it is his dream, and it works for him. However, A/C would be nice...... With so many other good looking kits out there, I wonder just how many kits he has sold? Who am I to criticize?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 20, 2014, 7:50 pm 

In his eyes it is just what he dreamed it would be, one can't ask for more than that.

Al

PostPosted: October 11, 2014, 1:21 am 

Anybody besides the owner built and driving one of these?
Don

PostPosted: October 11, 2014, 1:57 am 

I know he's sold at least one. I talked with a guy at an auto-x here in NC and he had a kit from Cape Fear 7. Good looking car from my point of view. He drove it to the auto-x, raced, then drove it home. the windshield folded forward and clipped to the bonnet. Pretty neat option.

PostPosted: April 15, 2016, 11:32 am 

Ive known David Culp for years now.. We race together in the North Carolina Region of the SCCA.. He isn't twisting the truth when he says its his daily driver.. Its also his autocross car.. He drives it to the track, puts slicks on it and takes it through the wringers.. Oh and usually he has at least one co-driver, if not more... Then puts his street tires back on and drives home.. Im not a fan of the Caterham stylings anyways, so I can't comment on that, but I can attest to the fact that his car is certainly reliable if anything...