LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: STALKER -ish build
PostPosted: August 9, 2014, 2:10 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Well thanx to Panamericano, and I don't know whether to thank him or curse him, I just took delivery of a Brunton Stalker. No body work.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4577125012.html

It's a 2012 M-Spec
http://stalkercars.com/models/

I wasn't looking for a car, but sometimes you've just got to jump on something if it's right.

It's a roller so I think that saves me about a year. Although that's not to say it won't going to get modified. That's why I said Stalker-ish build.

I have an idea of how I can mount a real windshield and I have this little Ferrari front end that might end up being grafted on there - if it fits.

Pics are going to have to wait as I have this little meeting with one of the guys who built the Chapparals in about an hour and I have to do some shop moving around to make things fit well.

This will allow me to get rid of the Z2000 project. My son & I will build this instead. The S2000 engine & diff can go in here.

I was able to get him a wedding car just 2 days before I saw this car. I found a spectacular 1999 Miata which is the same color as one of his early Miatas. His old one met an ignoble death when a fat lady ran a stop sign and her SUV ended up across the front of his hood. So I found one just like it except it's got a few mods he'll like, like a full Racing Beat exhaust with high flow cat & the rims he was about to buy for his old car just before it was hit.

Things are piled up so I don't really have any pics of the Stalker yet, but I do have some pics of my son's new Miata.

No I don't, they are too large and I don't have time to fix it. I'll add pics tomorrow. I have a full afternoon and evening so I can't do a blasted thing to the car!!!! Which also means I won't sleep well tonight

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post subject: Re: STALKER -ish build
PostPosted: August 9, 2014, 2:31 pm 
Always Moore!

Glad to see that go to a good home. That was one heck of a deal on the kit!

PostPosted: August 9, 2014, 3:08 pm 
Toyotaphobe

a.moore wrote:
Glad to see that go to a good home. That was one heck of a deal on the kit!

Stalker used Miata hubs at that time and I've got a Miata Wilwood Big Brake kit still in the box, never opened.

The steering rack is a Franklin and apparently quite expensive. I think the receipt was close to $1,000.

The rims & tires are awesome!! Bigger than I would have ordered, but they were talking 500+ hp on their build.

I sure wish I didn't already have other plans. I'd like to measure and see if the S2000 diff & axles will fit.

Anyone know how to transition axles from S2000 to Miata right off the top of their heads. I could use a good Miata diff if I needed to and just make the driveshaft fit, since I'll have to get the driveshaft shortened anyway.

I did notice that 280Z seats are too wide so I have to see what will fit or whether I want to widen something. I'm thinking widening since I doubt I'll be getting any skinnier, but we'll see.

They had already cut the chassis to allow them to run longer rear suspension arms to help control the rear end an allow them to run the wider tires.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 8:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Really nice lookin' shop in the Miata pic. Now, can we see some pictures of your goat pen(s)????
:twisted: Had to do it... :twisted:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 1:27 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
. . . . I wasn't looking for a car, but sometimes you've just got to jump on something if it's right . . .

Amen. Besides, if you hadn't really in-your-heart wanted to do it, you would have passed it by. Now, you'll be motivated. Good luck with it. It looks like a cool project.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 2:20 pm 

My carguy123, that is a very neat purchase you have completed.

I think it is magnificent to hear of the bonding pursuit you are undertaking with your Son, it avoids your Son developing insecure attachments, experiencing discouragement and rejection, which makes them vulnerable to developing behavioral problems later. So you can see your bonding with your Son is very important for his emotional development. This may not come easy all the time.
Good tidings Sir.

GonzoRacer wrote:
Now, can we see some pictures of your goat pen

Although it is somewhat of an unusual request, I previously offered to assist you whenever I could and discovered the following; I believe the yellow one on the left is what you are seeking.

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 2:26 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer that's not my shop. That's the shop of the guy who had the lift and allowed me to check out the Miata. He's the least carguy in my neighborhood so his shop is the cleanest. He also has all the bells & whistles.

2 powder coating ovens
Full paint booth
4 post lift
fancy, painted, clean floors
and a room with linked car games so you can race each other.

I started a Car Show & Tell in my neighborhood a few months back and it's paid off.

We have one man who works for PPG and he's offered to help anyone who needs it plus get paint at a good price.

2 different people run small powder coating business and have offered us all deals

6 guys have lifts and have said we all can use them when we want

A couple of good welders

Several racers

2 guys own hot rod customizing shops

We calculated there's over $4,000,000 of completed collectible cars in the neighborhood and that doesn't count the cheap stuff like I've got.

This last meeting (Saturday) one of the guys offered to give me guitar lesssons if I'd let him come over and help so he can learn about cars.

Anyway here's the pics I promised yesterday. Starting with the obligatory Vroom Vroom shot. That's me playing like I'm Barney Oldfield.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 2:35 pm 
Toyotaphobe

More detailed shots

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 2:40 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Gotta catch my "build" up.

This is the motor mounts that came with it. They are for the LSx or GM6 engine. Since I have the whole S2000 drivetrain and diff I'm going to see how that fits first. I really want the S2000, but I can sell that for much more than it would cost me to buy all the Cheby stuff so that could help fund the rest of the build.

Decisions, decisions

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 2:46 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Now for the issue.

They cut the chassis to clear the 295 rear tires. They said it's because they said the M-spec chassis wasn't designed for a tire that wide, but to me it just looks like they got rims with the wrong offset. Spacers can take care of that now - or I can change rims.

I like the tires R888s, but were I to find a buyer and rebuy I'd go the on again, off again RA1s. They are the same compound, but a more street friendly tread.

The issue with selling is these are 4 bolt Miata rims. Other than another Stalker, who'll have the same problem I have, who else can fit these rims?

I wouldn't mind a little more cabin width so I could fit less snug seats so maybe I work out both issues at the same time.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 2:51 pm 
Toyotaphobe

From memory I'd swear that both NASA & SCCA require all portions of a roll bar/cage to terminate on about a 3/16" plate which this one doesn't so if I were to widen the passenger compartment slightly I could correct that problem at the same time.

My faulty memory also says that this cage structure won't pass muster either. I was thinking I had to have a X, diagaonal or something different than just these 2 middle bars. Simply because I was thinking of doing it this way a couple of years ago and I thought I'd gotten shot down in flames. This would make it easy to hinge a top right there.

I also thought a bar was required around the perimeter and I wanted to do it this way because it would make it easier for ingress and egress.

Also just from sitting on life vests it appears that the steering wheel will be too close and limit the size of people who can drive it and make it tougher to enter so if I widened it I could move the front roll hoop and scuttle bar up to the joint just ahead.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 2:56 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Here's a good look at the rims.

The tires are 255 fronts and 295 rears.

On the fronts the lugs are recessed way into the rim, but the rears leave part of the lug exposed.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 3:03 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Here's a look at the Wedding Car.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 3:15 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Cheapo, you're starting to creep me out. Have the pod people invaded China? If not you're probably having to stay up all night to write those posts as they go totally against your nature.

Gonzo I don't keep my goats quite as close as you do (Top Secret Spy Shot from Gonzo's bedroom.) You can't deny this is your offspring, look at those ears.

WARNING - UDDER ALERT! We know what Gonzo's priorities are as he's developed a goat with 2 sets of udders.

Now if he'll only work on giving women a set on their back to make slow dancing so much more interesting.

Attachment:
1.jpg

I pamper my goats and make sure they get their exercise!!

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2014, 6:51 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Since this is the Lord's day and my wife said that since she's the Lord that meant I had to do somethings for her (and besides it was 103) I got to thinking (ohhhhh that's going to hurt in the morning!).

As I may have mentioned here once or twice before, my least favorite part of the car is the tail end. I haven't seen the new Brunton softer tail end yets so I might really like it but . . .

There's been discussion on here before about some 50's racing lines which got me to thinking. I was hit with an startling idea (did you feel the earth move? It registered as a 7.6 on the Richter scale here) what about a boat tail?

Here are some ideas:

This one doesn't set my heart a flutter, but if you added some machine guns I could grow to love it.
Attachment:
1.jpg

The picture calls this a "boat tailed rat". Personally I don't see it myself, but if you squint your eyes you could almost see a Locoust done like this.

Attachment:
1.jpg

There are definitely better looking boat tail examples out there.

Attachment:
1.jpg

Here's one after my heart.

Attachment:
1.jpg

So anyway I dusted off my photoshop skills and went just a little further. I decided that maybe this could give some much needed storage and if it were left open like a pick up truck bed I could put tall stuff in and just use some kind of tonneau cover on it.

It's been a while since I've done this so I think I've made it a little too long but I think you will get the idea of what I'm talking about.

Attachment:
1.jpg

Attachment:
1.jpg

I think I'm onto something here. I'm not sure I could haul a refrigerator in there, but you could definitely put enough stuff in there for a weekend getaway.

This seems to be the easy way to get the 3 seater that's been discussed and there's still room for Gonzo's favorite goat!

I can explain it to you,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next