LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 19, 2014, 12:54 pm 

I am curious as to the finished weights of our cars.
Maybe start a thread with this this info stickied for future reference.
listing engine, trans, rear end used.

Mongo

PostPosted: December 19, 2014, 1:08 pm 

I've seen a range from 1000 lbs up to ~1700lbs for our 4-wheel'd versions. Track car vs Street car; Book chassis vs 442 or?; BEC vs CEC, I-4 vs V8. We are a wide focused group.

My street car book chassis with RX-7 donor components (engine, trans, diff, uprights, brakes, wheels, etc....) came in right at 1400lbs. No real effort was made to save Lbs. Heck, I added lbs afterwards just for the hardtop.

As a matter of fact, I wasn't looking for the lightest, fastest thing on the road. If I were serious about that, I'd drop 40 lbs. I enjoyed just building it and now enjoy driving it.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 7:43 am 
We are Slotus!

The Slotus - Ford 5.0 V8, T5, Ford 8.8 IRS in a 1.5" sq tubeframe with a old, fat white boy in the car weighed in at 2120 lbs.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 12:26 pm 
Toyotaphobe

DANG! I had no idea you weighed 500#. You wear your weight well.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 2:16 pm 

Plus 4 McSorley plans as a starting point for the chassis, Toyota AE101 4AGE engine, early Corolla T50 Trans, much modified Miata rear sub frame w/Celica GTS diff. Weighs in at 1,412 lbs with 6 gallons of fuel and all other fluids.

Scuttle is pretty heavy with 18 ga steel skin, floor pan is 16 ga steel. Not much effort to save weight. It's just a street cruiser, not a race car.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 21, 2014, 10:32 am 

My Seven is almost the same as Larry's. Use a Corolla GTS 4AGE engine ,trans and axle, but built with a book size frame. Did put an effort into Wt reduction, 1267lbs wet. Dave W

PostPosted: December 21, 2014, 5:04 pm 

Mine is 1294 with about 2 gallons in the tank. Book frame with a 3.0 v6 (all iron), Mitsubishi 5 speed, and toyota rear axle and front spindles/brakes. I don't have a windshield or heater, but didn't really go to any great lengths to keep the weight down.
Kristian

PostPosted: December 22, 2014, 11:41 am 

my deman SR27 is 1346 lbs in running condition with 1/2 tank SR20 DET engine and transmission, Miata rear diff and spindles (only missing mirrors and deflector. I had a fiberglass hood that will be replaced by an aluminium one) I had some weigh saving effort, DBA500 brakes, willwood calipers, aluminium wires, carbon fiber driveshaft, all can bus body control and gauges (aim dash and isis body control unit) light weigt battery, cromoly roll bar and light weight forged mags aluminium flywheel and pulleys

My fathers car (a bono bonate bought here on the forum) its a 7ish looking frame with a unusual suspension point and the engine is sitting wayy back (flywheel is beside the ankle of the driver). it has a 12A rotary with matching transmission. Datsun rear diff with custum rear hubs and triumph front (with heavy cast disc) no weight saving effort really.. and we got to 1376 lbs with a bit less gaz than mine (1/2 tank of a small fuel cell) i was expecting it to be lighter than mine honestly...

PostPosted: December 22, 2014, 2:16 pm 

My book frame street car with MGB running gear comes in at 1560 lbs. When it came to building the thing, I spared no steel. Also, the MGB running gear is massive. So I have to think this is the upper limit on book frame builds.

PostPosted: December 23, 2014, 8:38 am 
We are Slotus!

nick47 wrote:
My book frame street car with MGB running gear comes in at 1560 lbs. When it came to building the thing, I spared no steel. Also, the MGB running gear is massive. So I have to think this is the upper limit on book frame builds.
I think I've seen numbers somewhere that showed the MGB 4-cyl weighed more than the Rover (nee Buick) 215 V8. I can testify that it's one heavy l'il engine. Tough, simple to work on, fairly reliable... not a bad choice overall... but heavy...
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 23, 2014, 1:41 pm 

Have a look at this link:

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8520

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 3:33 pm 

Duxbury Hodgepodge weighs 1280 without fuel.

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 6:28 pm 

1045pounds on the road with approx. 10litres of fuel in the tank. If I changed my wheels from 17in to 15in then I can save another 50 pounds. Each of my 17in wheel and tyre weighs 50pounds.

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 8:08 pm 

My custom mid-engine build using GM LS2, Muncie four speed mated directly to C5 Corvette diff, and all C5 Corvette suspension pieces weighs 2120 lbs in its current configuration. It got as high as 2440 lbs with a turbo, iron block engine, and automatic.

PostPosted: February 23, 2015, 9:53 pm 

Heavily modified CMC Miata chassis that I boxed in the transmission tunnel, rear bulk head, and floor w/16gauge steel that weighs in at a whopping 1643# with 7 gallons of fuel and me in the drivers seat.Image
http://www.lightningbugcars.com/photo/L ... tFinal.jpg