LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 18, 2015, 12:58 pm 

I don't have any interest myself but I thought I'd post pictures of the two BEC kits at Carlisle. The first kit is Silver Car. It is actually smaller in person that it looks in the pictures. They have information on the web though a quick look didn't turn up a price.
Attachment:
IMG_0605.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0606.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0607.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0608.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0609.JPG

The second kit is Sylva. I looked on the web for this one and it has a confusing heritage. I was unable to tell which of the many Sylva kits it is or even who the manufacturer is. It seems that many of the designs have been sold to other companies. Anyway here are a few shots.
Attachment:
IMG_0615.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0616.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0617.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 18, 2015, 2:05 pm 

It looks like a Sylva Vectis. According to the Sylva website, the owner of the company retired this year and is looking for someone to market and build the kits.

http://www.sylva.co.uk/the-sylva-story/
Quote:
2015 ~ Retirement!
I first started mucking around with cars back in 1965 whilst still at school. After an apprenticeship as a draughtsman and years working for myself in 1979 I decided to take the plunge and sell my house in Lymington to finance the creation of Sylva Autokits. Now it is time to put my feet up and hand over to someone else to market and manufacture the Vectis with the drive and enthusiasm I used to have all those years ago. Would you be up for the challenge?

Maybe what you saw was someone testing the idea of doing so in the USA. However, it is based on the MGF which was not available here in the US. So donor parts would be difficult to obtain or maintain. Changing the donor parts to a more available drivetrain here, would not be difficult for many of our experienced builders.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 18, 2015, 2:08 pm 

That Sylva appears to be the J15 imported by Galek Motorsports.

PostPosted: May 18, 2015, 2:15 pm 

The Vectis is based on the J15. The main key, based on the photos shown, is the windshield surround.

Who really knows? A lot of his cars look similar, just minor updates make a new model.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 18, 2015, 2:37 pm 

The SilverCar website says, "Carbonated Steel Spaceframe, cold stretched without welding, ø 40 and 30, protected with Epoxy paint."

Can someone translate that for me? (not the epoxy paint part :D )

http://silvercarusa.com/technical-specifications/

PostPosted: May 18, 2015, 3:37 pm 

"Carbonated Steel Spaceframe" - Must be a steel tube frame filled with soda pop! :rofl:

PostPosted: May 18, 2015, 3:50 pm 

High carbon steel? Bad ductility!

PostPosted: May 20, 2015, 11:30 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
The SilverCar website says, "Carbonated Steel Spaceframe, cold stretched without welding, ø 40 and 30, protected with Epoxy paint."

Can someone translate that for me? (not the epoxy paint part :D )

http://silvercarusa.com/technical-specifications/

My guess would be DOM, based on the cold stretched part?

--JOsh

PostPosted: June 5, 2015, 1:49 am 

rx7locost wrote:
The Vectis is based on the J15. The main key, based on the photos shown, is the windshield surround.

Who really knows? A lot of his cars look similar, just minor updates make a new model.

The key difference between the J15 and the Vectis is that the latter uses the MGF as its main donor package, including the suspension components and suspension subframes.

As Dauntless says, the car in the pic above is a J15, which uses Triumph front uprights and fabricated steel rear uprights (and is actually the superior design - but more expensive due to not being single-donor). The J15 was launched with the Ford Sigma engine, but has also been fitted with various others (the one in the pic is clearly a BEC).

For comparison, a pic of the Vectis rear suspension, with MGF subframe, can be seen here: http://www.sylva.co.uk/sylva-vectis-2/

Jeremy Philips (the founder/owner of Sylva Sportscars) is one of the best lightweight car designers in the world, IMO; he has numerous designs and endless race/championship wins to his credit, but has never really received the credit he deserves because he has always operated at the 'budget' end of the market, hence doesn't attract much mainstream press coverage. It's a great loss to the UK kit car industry that he's chosen to retire. :(