LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25, 2007, 3:13 pm 

Thanks - I'll keep state farm in mind. Ideally I'd like mine as a summer daily driver but it depends on what coverage I can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25, 2007, 4:37 pm 

Ha, depends how far you have to go, soon get fed up with the blast to the left earhole! Some better roads to drive on down your way so that should make life a bit more bearable too. If you can get them sidescreens make a huge difference to the driving pleasure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25, 2007, 7:35 pm 

Nice to see there is knowledge here about the Alberta registration process, that was another thing I was slightly concerned about.

Gavin, I'd love to see you car in person, engine or not. As soon as I finish up my garage construction at the house (should be another month and a bit), I'll have my fun car back at home, I'll take it for a spin out to Stony to see you and shoot the breeze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25, 2007, 8:03 pm 

Quote:
Gavin, I'd love to see you car in person, engine or not. As soon as I finish up my garage construction at the house (should be another month and a bit), I'll have my fun car back at home, I'll take it for a spin out to Stony to see you and shoot the breeze.

Sounds like a plan as long as the snow doesn't get here first!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25, 2007, 8:05 pm 
spindlefied

GavinR wrote:
I found it relatively straightforward. Make sure you keep receipts for everything. The Alberta assigned VIN was a breeze, a chap just came and kicked the tires, checked the receipts of the major components and rivetted on a VIN plate.

Glad to hear it's not too bad also. The guy didn't mention bumpers? And this chap - was he RCMP? I thought they were the ones who had to assign the VIN.

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 12:03 am 

GavinR wrote:
Sounds like a plan as long as the snow doesn't get here first!

Fingers crossed that the snow won't be early like last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1, 2007, 7:48 pm 

Welcome. although I was born in BC and now live in BC, I did live in High Prairie, Sedgewick and Edmonton as kid, so I do have an affection for Alberta and many good memories.
I have said some dumb things and still been accepted, so this is a great place, you wont find a better group.
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2, 2007, 12:51 pm 

Thanks! Yeah, looks like a great group, similar to the 924Board I frequent. I've been quiet but reading through a lot of the old posts, lots of good info here.

PostPosted: September 9, 2012, 10:25 pm 

Hello Chrenan,

lol, Im a goof. I didnt realize how old this thread is. Rookie or what?

Im also in Edmonton and building a locost of sorts. Actually I building an R1 powered NSU Prinz iii. I am planning to start a build log here when I have a bit more progress made. This is my first post.

Did you see the locost 7 project for sale about a month ago on Kijiji? A guy in Stoney Plain was/is selling a project that is 90% complete for $15000. Looks like he did an awesome job. It is Hayabusa powered. I just searched but I dont see it advertised now.

Also Ken, the owner of Miles Import Auto has a Locost 7 sitting unused in the back room of his shop. Its surrounded by several classic minis and a fully tube frame race mini under construction. He always has the coolest stuff in his shop. I allways go to the back to peek in the bay door. Ive seen classic MGA`s, A mint Lotus Europa, and many others. There was a customers beat up Lotus Europa with no drivetrain at a give away price there a couple of weeks back. I was tempted but I have to focus. It could still be there.

Anyway, as for my own project, I am hooked on the design of the European autoslalom becs. There are many Fiat 500 and 126 cars on youtube. The performance looks incredible. Look up the green and black fiat 126 kawasaki 1000 car driven by Alssandro Polini. I love the wide stance of the full width suspension on the micro cars. The Prinz body is fairly easy to come by in Alberta as we had a dealership here in Edmonton in the early 60`s. I found a decent deal on a 61 Prinz 3 shell in near perfect condition. Since NSU has a long racing history, I dont feel too bad about re-powering the vintage micro body. Infact, its hard to find pics of an unmodified NSU TT. Besides the car was turned into a convertable in an earlier restoration. I dont like the top cut off, but Ill deal with it. I have an R1 engine in the garage right now and am bench running it with a Meagan Racing muffler. I love reving it quickly to 12000rpm and back. It sounds like its barking.
Here small sample of what I have so far.

Dean

PostPosted: October 26, 2012, 10:50 am 

Hey Dean, I'm new here too (first post too). Very old thread indeed. Looks like you have a great project!

My dad and I are hoping on starting out on a locost build. I am in Ontario, so we may have a few of the same hurdles to cross as far as getting our toys registered. Might be easier for you assuming your car already has a vin?

We want to go Hayabusa front engine, rear drive. I want that shifting and high rpm :)

Good luck with everything.

PostPosted: March 2, 2013, 10:16 pm 

Also in Edmonton, & also an ex Prinz owner. I'm "only" 40 years old, but when I was in high school, I had a sport Prinz and 2 regular Prinz's (but only one regular Prinz engine between them).

There's a loosely organized small car club in Edm, with some really cool members- a 4age Spitfire among others. Another guy had something like 6 Panhard Dyna's in various levels of restorability. PM me if you want to drop into a monthly meeting.

I have a Volvo 63 PV544, a 73 142GL, and a Suzuki Sidekick I am building a "half an IHRA ProStock" aluminum 253cid hemi head 4cyl to go in. Lowered, EFI and viscous coupler AWD, as a daily.