LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2007, 1:49 am 
Grintch wrote:
Yes, the standard live axle version they offer I think is standard Book locost. I think Champion consulted with CMC (Champion Motor Cars - recognizing him as the designer) setting up their operation, but it's not really a CMC design.

My understanding was that they basically licensed the molds and the chassis design, although I'm not sure how much legitimacy there is to that as I don't remember the source.

Grintch wrote:
The Miata modifications could be argued as a CMC design. Did they or Coveland ever incorporate a fix for the PPF / rear dif location problem?

Yes, the Miata chassis was a CMC product, although it's a standard book chassis up the rear bulkhead or so. The front track was extended by simply making the control arms longer (leaving the shock mount in the same place!), the diff was never tested before the GRM car was completed and you can date the frame by the design of the rear suspension pickups. The original design (on my car) was very difficult to adjust and also had some problems with how the uprights were mounted to the lower control arm. Both of these problems were sorted out in later frames, the latter thanks to Jack McCornack of Kinetic Motorsports.

All in all, CMC didn't distinguish themselves in the engineering arena really :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2007, 9:24 pm 
Louisville's luckEseven Lauds Locosts

I was under the impression that Jack @ Kinetic had a few CMC kits left over. If that's the case, I know first hand that he is a pleasure to deal with. Call or email him, maybe he can help you.

*Make way for the luckEseven!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28, 2007, 2:02 am 

Aw shucks (blush) :-)

My CMC Miata kits are long long gone...but still have a couple of their "book" kits. The chassis need a heavy hand with a wire brush, and maybe run through a vat of POR-15, set up like a sheep dip.