LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a frame
PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 6:21 pm 

Has anyone dealt with a company called Wharton Industries? What is their craftsmanship like , I am thinking of buying a frame from them.

Post subject: Re: Buying a frame
PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 6:28 pm 

can't don't know them or how good they are but i can't say i trust a dealer that won't show pictures on his website that display the full frame just my .02 cents

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Locost-F ... enameZWDVW

for frames try this guy everyone offers his up if you are just getting a frame

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 11:08 pm 

locostspeed wrote:
Has anyone dealt with a company called Wharton Industries? What is their craftsmanship like , I am thinking of buying a frame from them.

Been on this site and others researching locosts since 2005 and I've never heard of them. Got a link or anything?

PostPosted: April 21, 2009, 11:36 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
locostspeed wrote:

Been on this site and others researching locosts since 2005 and I've never heard of them. Got a link or anything?
in my early google searches i came apon there site just google the name they sound promising but all there photos are of half finished frames you never get to see the whole frame

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 6:44 am 

Here's the link www.whartonindustries.com .By the way they do have more pictures on their site now.

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 11:34 am 

First time I've seen that site. I've never heard any feedback about them good or bad. I'd need to see some pics of the frame and hear from a satisfied customer or two before sending them my money.

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 1:00 pm 

I can't find the original post, they were mentioned sometime last year in the forums. I want to say they have a registered user on the site, but I can't recall for sure.

PostPosted: April 22, 2009, 3:48 pm 

A google search on simply Wharton and Locost generates almost nothing. Google immediately jumps to close matches with the focus on "Low-Cost".

I tend to be cautious when it comes to a lot of money. That should be amplified 100X for Florida kit car vendors. The greatest rip-offs in the kit car industry have come from Florida. Apparently Florida has lax enforcement of fraudulent business practices and is very slow to catch up to massive customer complaints.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Wharton Industries. Just my opinion that you should wait until local customers (who are close and can hold the vendor to their commitments face to face) have good reports of customer service and product quality before sending money out of state.

John

PostPosted: April 23, 2009, 10:47 am 

I agree with John, you need face to face in put. Most of these frames I see for sale are really only half built. The most difficult part is not completed, i.e. all the brackets, mounting plates for the engine and trans and tabs the elec, fuel, brakes lines etc. and some do not even have a tunnel. Find someone in Ontario who has already has built a Locost, and get them to build you a frame. They will already have fab'd the jigs to set most of the brackets and will be able to help you with all of the extra mounting tabs, steering column mounts, brake pedal box, etc. that must been fab'd, and that is never put on these frames. Plus no shipping $ or very little cost if you could pick it up.

Good luck on the frame Dave W