LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 8, 2006, 7:45 pm 
I was instructing at our annual Autocross school today, and had a pleasant surprise when Graham Early, of Earleymotorsports.com, showed up with his recently completed Leitch Super Sprint 7-replica. So I did what any of us would do, and pulled a few strings to get the chance to be Graham's instructor! :lol:

That gave me a perfect excuse to scrutinize every bit on his car for the tech inspection....and I snapped a bunch of pictures too.

The craftsmanship of the car is increadible, the aluminum and fiberglass body is very well fabricated, and the construction of the chassis and front suspension is first-class.

Graham chose a Toyota Corolla GTS donor, and the immaculate attention to detail on the outside is carried over to the engine.

Of course, as his instructor, I had to ride along and *coach* Graham on his first few runs. :wink: Had Graham not told me - or if I hadn't noticed the 1.4-miles on the odometer - I would not have know this was the "shakedown" run for his car. There were no mechanical problems, the car seemed very easy for Graham to drive, and not so much as a squeak or rattle from the chassis - even after 6 runs through the course!

Honestly, I need to thank Graham for letting me ride along(he really didn't need much coaching, he's a darn good driver as it is), and I hope to take him up on his offer of letting me behind the wheel someday after he gets a few miles on the car. I'll be sure to post back afterwards!

More info can be found on Graham's website: www.earleymotorsports.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2006, 12:09 am 

Beautiful car indeed. I had never heard of such a kit to be honest but it obviously comes together nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10, 2006, 12:02 pm 
Wow, that old slab or cement is still going in Rantoul :lol:. I remember racing around it a few years ago. That is a nice looking kit, and being in B/N makes it a good one to look into. Thanks for the info Pete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10, 2006, 12:46 pm 
Yeah, it was pretty amazing how the car was so composed on that rough surface, even though it only has a couple inches of suspension travel.

I'm sure the fact in only weighs 1260lbs has something to do with it. :lol:

He was also pulling 1.17g's on Yokahama street tires. :shock: And the sidewalls were so stiff, that he was down to ~20psi on all 4-corners and still wasn't able to get the outer edge of his tread on the pavement. His car will be lethal with either DOT-R's or true racing slicks! :P

PostPosted: July 1, 2006, 7:54 am 
I have to say I wont ever buy a Leitch, I was in australia, willing to fly to New Zealand and pick up one of their cars, They dont answer their phones, nor reply to emails. i am actually really irritated by that even a few weeks later.

Maybe they make a good product, but I am not kissing anyones ass to buy one!

PostPosted: July 5, 2006, 10:33 pm 

Sorry to hear about your problems contacting Leitch Motorcars. If you like, try me out and I will see what I can do for you.
Graham Earley.
Earley Motorsports
www.earleymotorsports.com