LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: June 17, 2010, 1:11 am 

chetcpo wrote:
lusiphur134 wrote:
all the japanese cars i've driven vs. f-bodies or mustangs always felt more planted in the front end and not too noticable of a difference in the rear.of course that wouldnt matter in a 7-based chassis. i've never given a "live rear axle" car a good flogging though so it might show up more at that point. of course if you plan on behaving on bumpy public roads and only put into it on the track a person probably wouldnt notice a whole lot then either.

Sorry but that statement is just plain wrong. It's OK to be biased, but lets not mislead the guy. I don't care how well behaved a driver you are, a bump is a bump is a bump and when you hit it in a 1200 lb car with 150lbs of unsprung weight, it's gonna acellerate the mass of that axle upward for the suspension and the chassis to absorb and it's gonna disturb the ride quality a lot more than the same bump would with a lighter independent rear. It's not really debatable that for well behaved or otherwise street driving IRS will give a better ride quality.

You may have driven solid axle cars really hard over god knows what and loved it, but there's a HUGE difference between a solid rear axle in the 4000lb car it came out of and the 1200lb car you're putting it into. It all comes down to the ratio between sprung and unsprung weight Kurt just mentioned.

that came out wrong. i am biased but actually towards an IRS system much more than solid axle. check my build log. i'm going the uncharted route to configure a supra IRS for my build instead of just finding one of the many,many s10's rear end(i live in GM and truck country so there are many). and this is one reason i've never owned a f body car is because i'm not a huge fan of SRA. and i didnt really think about it but the lightweight chassis with SRA probably would be much more noticable than the irs.

i just think that he shouldn't write off the stalker because of the rear end. if he much prefers the rest of the car just thinks the rear end might be a issue, i would still go for it. i have yet to drive the mustang or camaro that i liked the rest of the car enough to worry about the rearend. i find most to not have a sports car feel to them like the japenese RWD do. i dont put blame solely on the SRA but the entire design of the car or i suppose factory intended use. all in all, i agree as i think we all do that the irs is better on real roads and less of a difference on the track.

for the long weekends it would be better with irs but also better to most people with a lazy torquey motor.
for track days maybe less of an issue of rearend design but probably better to most people with the lighter car and higher revving motor.
thats with power-to-weight and driver techniques and all those other variables being equal, which in reality they never are

mitsu 4g63 powered 442e - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7317&start=0

PostPosted: June 17, 2010, 5:36 pm 

I have a SS
Dennis has been really helpful to work with.
A brief comment the SS is exceptionally fast. There is inadequate travel for a bumpy track, or back road in the rear. This is a result of suspension design compromise, that Dennis had to do to make it easy for the average builder to assemble one. He has offered in the past to sell me a chassis unit designed for pick up points to install a miata rear end. However if you put in an IRS you will either compromise fuel tank space or have to mount the tank much higher - therefore higher CG, weight at the rear of the car. Also if you put in an independent rear, you will have to figure out the learning curve for suspension tuning and spring rates, whether you need a sway bar or not etc. There are not many stalkers that I am aware of that have an IRS.
The fastest person with a stalker is probably John Meyers, or Dennis himself. They are both exceptionally nice and will talk to you without bias.
Best of luck
R

PostPosted: June 17, 2010, 5:40 pm 

That is the biggest worry I have for touring in this car. :(

In the Northeast, there be some bumpy stuff.

Quote:
There is inadequate travel for a bumpy track, or back road in the rear.

PostPosted: June 17, 2010, 8:24 pm 

@Ravi, was your built w/ the street or track in mind? One thing that I have forgotten to research is spring rates.... I figure high spring rates would have more of an effect on ride comfort than rear suspension type, right? Thx.

ravi wrote:
I have a SS
Dennis has been really helpful to work with.
A brief comment the SS is exceptionally fast. There is inadequate travel for a bumpy track, or back road in the rear. This is a result of suspension design compromise, that Dennis had to do to make it easy for the average builder to assemble one. He has offered in the past to sell me a chassis unit designed for pick up points to install a miata rear end. However if you put in an IRS you will either compromise fuel tank space or have to mount the tank much higher - therefore higher CG, weight at the rear of the car. Also if you put in an independent rear, you will have to figure out the learning curve for suspension tuning and spring rates, whether you need a sway bar or not etc. There are not many stalkers that I am aware of that have an IRS.
The fastest person with a stalker is probably John Meyers, or Dennis himself. They are both exceptionally nice and will talk to you without bias.
Best of luck
R

PostPosted: June 18, 2010, 8:56 pm 

Designed for track use primarily so stiffer springs. There are a lot of users who are very comfortable with a street stalker. Talk to Kreb (?) I do daily drive it occasionally and I have driven it on the 5 Fwy from Orange to WSIR.
My research had me ranking them as follows SS/ Stalker / Westfield and then a push between the WCM and Leitch, based on price / anticipated durability and ease of getting one.
I do not regret anything .
R

PostPosted: June 19, 2010, 12:09 am 

ravi wrote:
Designed for track use primarily so stiffer springs. There are a lot of users who are very comfortable with a street stalker. Talk to Kreb (?) I do daily drive it occasionally and I have driven it on the 5 Fwy from Orange to WSIR.
My research had me ranking them as follows SS/ Stalker / Westfield and then a push between the WCM and Leitch, based on price / anticipated durability and ease of getting one.
I do not regret anything .
R

Saying your "research" lead to your ranking doesn't really tell us much. If you researched them thoroughly enough to be confident in posting that ranking, surely you can shed more light on the subject as to why the different cars placed where they did. I for one am eager to hear why you put the different builds where they are. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, or like that pesky math teacher that wants you to explain your answer, but there are people here myself included that may benefit from your studies. Please break it down for us.

PostPosted: June 19, 2010, 12:33 pm 

I had a mental idea of the amount of money I was willing to spend.
I knew how much work I was willing to do versus how much I would have to farm out to get my car running the way I wanted.
I knew FM very well from my miata.
I talked to multiple Owners of various marques. When I got my SS, FM did not have a bunch of Westfields out. They were still figuring out the turnkey part. Brunton has greater than a 100 units out, and the majority of people were happy with the end product. It also was significantly less expensive than WCM. On a cost basis It was a push between Brunton and Leitch with FM slightly higher and WCM significantly higher.

My personal decision - not truly objective, so my decision tree would not necessarily work for you.

PostPosted: June 19, 2010, 1:11 pm 
Locostering Legend

ravi wrote:
........... Brunton has greater than a 100 units out, and the majority of people were happy with the end product. .............

I talked to Dennis Brunton at Carlisle.
He said they have sold 150 Stalkers over their 10 yrs of existence.

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 8:59 am 

ravi wrote:
I had a mental idea of the amount of money I was willing to spend.
I knew how much work I was willing to do versus how much I would have to farm out to get my car running the way I wanted.
I knew FM very well from my miata.
I talked to multiple Owners of various marques. When I got my SS, FM did not have a bunch of Westfields out. They were still figuring out the turnkey part. Brunton has greater than a 100 units out, and the majority of people were happy with the end product. It also was significantly less expensive than WCM. On a cost basis It was a push between Brunton and Leitch with FM slightly higher and WCM significantly higher.

My personal decision - not truly objective, so my decision tree would not necessarily work for you.

Fair enough, and a statement the OP of this thread should take to heart. These "which _________ should I buy?" threads frustrate me because the answer will be (and should be) different for everyone.

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 12:21 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Just as a data point, my Miata/IRS/McSorley 442 Locost has a *very* smooth ride. Several car-guy passengers/guest drivers I've had in it have made the unsolicited comment that they were really surprised how nice the ride is. I'm stock Miata subframe in the rear, down to the stock springs. 300#/in springs (I think) up front, which could probably be a bit stiffer.

FWIW,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: October 4, 2010, 4:42 pm 

Old thread, I realize, but I just wanted to note that Stalker manufacturing is no longer owned by Dennis Brunton. I suspect that the new owner, Scott Minehart, will be a bit less prickly than ol' Dennis. (As a former Stalker owner I love the guy. But he has a strong personality, and there was a nasty row on this forum at one point). So perhaps there can be more open conversation without verbal fists-a-flying.

They also have a much improved website. I have no connection, so this is strictly FYO.

http://www.bruntonauto.com/

PostPosted: October 4, 2010, 11:22 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Ultralite has a new owner as well. Hopefully he will give a little more support.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 5, 2010, 8:31 pm 

kreb wrote:
Old thread, I realize, but I just wanted to note that Stalker manufacturing is no longer owned by Dennis Brunton. I suspect that the new owner, Scott Minehart, will be a bit less prickly than ol' Dennis. (As a former Stalker owner I love the guy. But he has a strong personality, and there was a nasty row on this forum at one point). So perhaps there can be more open conversation without verbal fists-a-flying.

They also have a much improved website. I have no connection, so this is strictly FYO.

http://www.bruntonauto.com/

Scott and Glen Minehart are well positioned to grow the Stalker name! Scott just took 3rd in Nationals with his Emod street legal Super Stalker! Great folks and a great product. Scott has built the Stalker frames etc. for several years. it's good to see the company being taken over by a crew that has been such a part of it for so long. They 'get' the Se7en thing. No direct affiliation, just a Stalker owner who has been treated well.

Scott W.

Last edited by snookwheel on October 14, 2010, 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 14, 2010, 1:39 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
To me it's a no brainer for the Ultralite. I may ruffle some feathers by pointing it out, but the stalker is a performance car built from pickup truck parts.

***zips up flame suit***

One is a high maintenance bitch and the other an easy going willing lover who when made angry would punch the [PooPoo] out of the prudish bitch.

One is fine for a weekend away but I know which one I would marry and live with and save lots of money.

PostPosted: October 14, 2010, 1:56 pm 

chetcpo wrote:

Sorry but that statement is just plain wrong. It's not really debatable that for well behaved or otherwise street driving IRS will give a better ride quality.

Physics agree with you but it's not wrong if you don't take shocks and springs into account - if they are wrong it doesn't matter if it's either IRS or live, the ride will suck.

Kurt the reason a small truck rides better is often the added load makes the springs softer/do their job better. Most trucks are way too hard unloaded.

I hear the reports of the handling and ride of recent Mustangs with live rear end is excellent, BMW matching by some accounts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next