LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 14, 2013, 1:28 pm 

I'm not quite sure where the term "bomber seat" came from, but we all seem to know what it describes now. The example below is actually a fighter seat, however. I pass it on because it does suggest something I'd not considered before - cantilever seating.

I've been daydreaming about solutions to my passenger seat issue, which is perhaps a little unique. My wife has had some orthopedic surgeries and it would be very nice indeed if she didn't have to "stiff leg" into the Locost passenger seat. Also, she needs a good degree of adjustability so she doesn't have to sit in the same position for long periods of time. I've been visualizing how the seat could be made to rise up so she could get in it easier and then lower to down to floor level once she was seated. I just keep poking around on the Internet from time to time looking for good ideas. Here's one that is very interesting.

It's a fighter plane seat from a legendary aircraft, probably designed in 1939 or so. I'm very impressed by it's sophistication and design. There are 3 photos, two of an unrestored seat and one of a refurbished one. It used a novel and interesting material, brand new in its time, of resin impregnated paper for the actual seat cushion tray, which was the pilots parachute in practice. The button lever on the right side adjusted the seat height. I don't know how fore and aft adjustments were done, assuming that was even possible.

I really hadn't considered cantilevering off the seatback bulkhead, but that could be done. It's one of the strongest areas on a Locost, especially my own build.
Attachment:
Spitfire-Seat-#1.jpg

Attachment:
Spitfire-Seat-#3.jpg

Attachment:
Spitfire-Seat-#4.jpg

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 14, 2013, 1:47 pm 

Investigate various interstate truck seats.

PostPosted: December 14, 2013, 2:52 pm 

Another source for ideas would be marine shock mitigation seats.

PostPosted: December 15, 2013, 11:28 am 

@cheapracer, gregk

Thank you, gentlemen, I'll check those out.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 15, 2013, 1:46 pm 

Quote:
I really hadn't considered cantilevering off the seatback bulkhead, but that could be done. It's one of the strongest areas on a Locost, especially my own build.
The seat itself sees no real stresses in a crash. Your seat belts hold you to the frame, not to the seat. I.E in a 10G crash, the seat belts will restrain ~2000 lbs. of force (200# body x 10G's). The seat will only need to withstand 100# force (assuming a 10# seat) so the strenght of that mount is small by comparison.

You might just consider mounting a nice soft cushy passenger seat on a pair of drawer slides mounted to the rear bulkhead and spring it accordingly. Maybe just an inflatable air bag underneath for the spring.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 15, 2013, 4:00 pm 
The voice of reason

The seat should be as strong as the belts. One issue is that if the seat moves around then the belts are loose and become useless.

You never know how an accident will ply out either. The first ig mistake I made in a formula car put me backwards into the wall. I spent a good chunk of a couple hundred feet wondering how that seat was going to hold up when I hit that wall from behind. My other accident broke the bottom of the seat somehow. I think the car was launched upwards.