LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 12:51 am 

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for local options for seats in my locost. I'm trying to get OEM seats from crashed cars, but, because of the limited space I have (book frame) there are not many options available.

Last week I found out that many SUVs or minivans that have 3 seat rows include either an small middle seat on the second row or small third row seats.

For instance, Volvo XC90 seats, the middle one from the second row is a really tiny one that is foldable, includes sliding rails and integrated seat belt.

Attachment:
xc90_secondrow_middle2.jpg

Attachment:
2014_volvo_xc90_rearseat.jpg

Third row seats are a bit bigger, but they fit the available space, they are mounted together in some kind of frame, so they would need some mods to make them work, also add sliders.

Attachment:
xc90_assembly.JPG

Attachment:
volvo_xc90_3rdrow.jpg

I can get for US$200 either the pair of third row ones, or two second row middle ones (different color).

Is there any drawback on using the integrated seatbelts from the middle seats? I mean, if they're used on a production car they should be safe enough right?

Anyone has experience on those seats?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 9:00 am 

No experience with the Volvo seats, But I used similar setup from a ’97 Pontiac Trans Sport (a.k.a. Chevrolet Lumina APV and Oldsmobile Silhouette) that I picked up on Craigslist. 20 bucks for the pair. They were still too wide for a book frame. Might have worked in a 442 frame. The only thing I used was the padding (thinned out), the seat cover, the back frame and headrest. If you have to narrow the leather, make sure that you can sew it.

As for the sliders, I found they lifted the seats too high. I felt like I was sitting ON the car rather than IN it. I gave them away to other builders. They might be OK in a taller frame.

If you still haven't purchased them check their width against your available space. On my car I only had 17.5" on the driver's side and 16.5" on the pass side to work with. it is amazing how narrow the seats have to be. What seems narrow in a regular car, is absolutely enormous in a Locost.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 9:43 am 

I agree with Chuck. Size is your enemy in a Locost. A while back I built my simple Bomber seats and was immediately disappointed in how it changed the seating position.

I thinned the back foam and went to a bench back with thin bottom squabs

I'd nab the bits I wanted off the 3rd row seats.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216