LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kid in Racing seat
PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 12:41 pm 

So my little one (5yr, 40lbs) loves the car but I find it difficult to take her around in it as i don't feel the corbeau racing seat and 5pt harness are safe. Is there any option to make this set up safer so she can go on rides that are more than a block??

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

Post subject: Re: Kid in Racing seat
PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 1:03 pm 

I commend your prudence with your daughters safety! :cheers:

I'm not to that point (with my car or my daughter) yet, but here are a few quick brainstorm* ideas. If there isn't a forward facing 'harness booster' seat that will fit in the race seat, I would consider devising a setup that interchanges with it. I'm thinking a frame that bolts to the seat mounting holes, a lap belt strap to secure the base of the 'harness booster' with, and a sheet metal pan to hold some seat foam below and behind to mimic a typical installation. Or maybe instead of the lap belt securing the 'harness booster' base, go with a standard high-back booster, and assuming your harness has 3" wide straps, swap it out for a 2" strap harness that is fed through the booster. Finally, and potentially least desirable from a safety perspective, it might be possible to find a backless booster that fits in the race seat, plus some creative use of foams (like styrofoam plus a little something firm but compressible for supportive comfort) to fill the gaps, and again going to a 2" strap harness.

* These are only ideas. The idea generator may not be held liable for any fault found with said ideas. They may not even be safe, or legal, in principle and/or execution. Use or incorporate any part of them at your own risk.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 5:05 pm 

Also check that it is legal for a front seat, some parts of the country it is not until a child is a certain weight or height.
Al

PostPosted: August 17, 2015, 5:22 pm 

To the best of my knowledge, insert long legal disclaimer here, 2-seaters are exempted from that in all states.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: August 19, 2015, 11:13 am 

One of the car seats my kids used to use fits in my car which is a book frame. I buckle them into the child seat and then use the lap belt of the 5 point harness in my car to hold the child seat in. I don't have a race seat though, just back and bottom cushions.
Kristian