LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 15, 2015, 2:20 pm 

If you were to build a second car, is there anything that you would do differently that you think that other builders would benefit to learn about. Conversely, is there anything that worked particularly well that you would recommend to others? Please limit this thread to the interior.

Jack of many trades
Master of unfinished projects
build blog/log at https://jerryslocost.wordpress.com

PostPosted: November 16, 2015, 1:12 am 

-Make sure if using vinyl that you buy good stuff. The cheaper stuff doesn't glue. Same goes for welting etc. Buy rubber instead.
-make sure your passenger seat can fit people. My car is book width, with a wide tunnel. Passenger seat is only 14.5" wide at best, and not many people fit. I feel bad when I look at all the people who would like to go for a ride but can't.
-make sure you can see your signal indicator on the dash when driving. Or you'll be that guy with his blinker on for miles (assuming no self-cancel.
-have a round or even padded section to protect shins on the bottom of dash. Passengers will thank you.
-race harnesses are not DOT approved, and not legal for road use in most areas. Have an alternate plan for DOT belts.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my interior for function. Spend the time making sure the car fits you nicely. I did, and I think it paid off (it's really comfortable so far).

Cheers.

PostPosted: November 16, 2015, 6:01 pm 

Some kind of positive attachment for the carpeting. Not Velcro. I'm going to try snaps next.

If you're anywhere close to 6' tall, get the seats as low as you can, or be prepared for an oddly-tall windshield.

PostPosted: November 18, 2015, 11:21 am 

I glued indoor/outdoor carpeting to the floor. Done!

In a book Locost, you (me actually at 5'8") cannot reach all the dash mounted switches when fully strapped in with a 5-point harness. And the ones I could reach were by the tips of my fingers. And getting strapped in a 5 point harnesses is a 2 minute exercise if there are 2 people. First one, then the other. If you both try it at the same time, you are leaning into, and elbowing each other.

I switched to a automotive self retracting 3 point belt. Still takes a "one then the other" process, but it is so much quicker only dealing with 1 tab to clip in vs. 5.

Getting into and out of a Sevenesque vehicle with full weather equipment is only for the young and flexible. Even with the wide book opening. That is why I went with the hinged hardtop. Easy-peasy.

Sorry if I offend with this one: Larger people find it uncomfortable because their body parts "flow" around the outer frame tubes creating a pressure point on their body. Every motion of the car pushes and pulls at the flesh. I inserted 1" building foam covered in vinyl in each of the triangle shaped frame sections. They are cut to snugly fit. No glue or screws are required. The entire inside wall is now flush taking the pressure points away. Much more comfortable for those long trips of 12+ hours, or even the short 1 or 2 hour trips!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766