LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heaters!
PostPosted: June 13, 2016, 4:36 pm 

Just a couple of points:

-seat warmers are pretty awesome for staying warm (and relaxing your back/leg muscles). I've installed carbon ones on a few cars with good success.
-you can just buy a simple heater core for around $20 and make your own box for it. Use a cheap manual shut off valve to stop the coolant through it for on/off. With space so limited you're probably best to make your own, and you can locate the fan elsewhere making two smaller boxes instead of one.

I haven't done either yet, but definitely want a big heater, and seat warmers. It's nice to be able to go for a rip on a cold day with the heat blasting.

Cheers.

PostPosted: June 13, 2016, 8:03 pm 

davew wrote:
You should really talk to someone who has already gone thru the NJ inspection process! I had fab'd a lot of parts and made several modifications needed, per the MI inspection list. The trooper never even looked at half of the items or checked there function. Could save you a lot of $ and time knowing what is really needed.
Another option is to intall a couple electrical outlets and use MC heated gloves and vest.
Dave W

I've actually gotten to know the Asbury Park guy pretty well. The vehicles are not inspected by a Trooper, or a bureaucrat, but rather a dedicated group, Asbury Park being one of them. Talking with them, they are obviously car guys, so skipping required equipment is not really a good idea. I'm not concerned with the effort or the cost, which really is minimal on the heater, but rather if people that installed them felt that they make a difference on a cool or cold day. Adding defrost to the heater is no big deal either.

PostPosted: June 13, 2016, 8:03 pm 

davew wrote:
You should really talk to someone who has already gone thru the NJ inspection process! I had fab'd a lot of parts and made several modifications needed, per the MI inspection list. The trooper never even looked at half of the items or checked there function. Could save you a lot of $ and time knowing what is really needed.
Another option is to intall a couple electrical outlets and use MC heated gloves and vest.
Dave W

I've actually gotten to know the Asbury Park guy pretty well. The vehicles are not inspected by a Trooper, or a bureaucrat, but rather a dedicated group, Asbury Park being one of them. Talking with them, they are obviously car guys, so skipping required equipment is not really a good idea. I'm not concerned with the effort or the cost, which really is minimal on the heater, but rather if people that installed them felt that they make a difference on a cool or cold day. Adding defrost to the heater is no big deal either.

Nothing like hitting the submit button twice... :roll:

PostPosted: June 13, 2016, 8:24 pm 

JPS Europa wrote:
Is not NJ similar to many other states in that the vehicle only has to comply with the safety items of day for the year in which the vehicle is similar? My car ended up being titled as a '64 Lotus Seven and that made a big difference in which areas it needed to be compliant. For instance, as I recall (it has been 3 years since my car was legal so some of the dancing around regs is not fresh in my mind), washer mechanisms were not required until 1968. I did show up at my State Police inspection with the federal rules printed out for everything that I was going to claim an exemption for, but I did not need it. He wanted to know if some of the major parts would be interchangeable with the car that was the "similar". Of course, the answer is yes. He just made sure that the parts that needed to be there were there...did not even check if they all worked. It all did work though. I had receipts for every single part on the car laid out neatly in an excel spreadsheet so that any receipt could be immediately accessed, and I think that I making their job easy in this respect helped me out. Not having stolen parts was really the biggest part of the initial inspection.
Also keep track of parts that you have paid state sales tax on otherwise you will pay tax on your whole stack of receipts if the sales tax in not indicated on them. Again, keep it really organized and easy to access the information.
As far as subsequent safety inspections have gone, its really more about checking the mileage, tires, and lights.
My '74 Europa, which looks much more like a real car...even though its not...gets a much more thorough checkout...and yes, the last time they did check to make sure the windshield washer worked.

I think you are referring to the SEMA model legislation that they have gotten passed in more enlightened states. That was up for a vote a couple of years ago, but to date has gone nowhere. The basic stuff they require is really a no brainer, and I would not consider building without them. Dual circuit brake system, seperate parking / emergency brake system, Safety glass for Windshield (if it has one), etc. The biggest pia is the emissions, which are tied to the engine / trans combo installed. I was careful to save all of the '87 Corvette and '88 Camaro emissions stuff that was on the car, with plenty of pictures and a manual as well. Since I will probably have a windshield, it looks like I will be installing a heater / defroster!

PostPosted: June 14, 2016, 1:50 am 

Made a box with a heater core in it, have a hole through the firewall to let the heat in. the high pressure under the windscreen pushes air down through the matrix and out to my feet. used a cheap heater switch that I just turn on manually in winter and off in summer,
can see it in this pic
john