LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 14, 2010, 11:18 pm 

I haven't really seen this discussed at all so far. Your bound to get caught in the rain sooner or later, have you taken any special precautions on your car or do you just pray that you'll be able to find some cover?

PostPosted: May 14, 2010, 11:23 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Huh? Locosts are open-top cars.... so no, they aren't. Or, do you mean "resistant" as in waterproof switches, waterproof fabrics?

PostPosted: May 15, 2010, 12:32 am 

Yes I mean switches, gauges, fabrics/seats that can with stand a little water

PostPosted: May 15, 2010, 8:16 am 
Locostering Legend

Gauge cluster is protected by windshield. Drill holes in seats and floor to drain water. Seat upholstery is marine vinyl.

My skin is waterproof.

PostPosted: May 15, 2010, 9:37 am 

Short answer: No.

My car is not road ready yet but I have taken NO real precautions for weather protection. All real electronics are under the scuttle so they should be well protected. I am using the RX7 donor instruments and switches so it shouldn't be any more susceptible to water than the convertible version of the RX7. My seats are foam and breathable fabric. I do plan on scotchguarding them. That's about it.

Based on my 10 years experience with my other play car (MGA), in a light drizzle I should be OK. In a real downpour, on the other hand, there is no protection. Just grin and bear it. You won't melt. I really don't know what to expect as far as spray from the tires other than it won't be good. I've been thinking about some form of tonneau for water protection while it is parked. I might even add a few floor drains.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 15, 2010, 9:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, McCheese-
Are you still mayor of McDonald's?

In the Production class MGB in my avatar, I have non-water resistant switch gear and gauges. I used cheapo plastic rain bonnets from Wal Mart to cover them when I was towing. If it rained on track, airflow kept the dash area dry while I was moving. If I headed for the paddock, soon as I parked, on went the bonnets. Looked tacky, but it kept things dry.

Floor drains and seat drains are a good idea. Grab the upholtery off the Kirkey when the cars out in the weather on the trailer or in the paddock. Otherwise, you can catch a serious case of damp-ass the next day. Not at all comfy, well, except on really hot days when any form of cooling is welcome... But, it'll make your firesuit smell all funky afterwards... Let's not talk about that...

This time around, I've been thinking of using water resistant switches and gauges like you mentioned. I'll keep ya posted...

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 8:52 am 

I drilled 1/4" drain holes in the corner of each of the floor panels. The upholstery is vinyl. The instruments and switches are protected by a short overhang on the scuttle, but are otherwise just stock Lucas items. So far the only issue has been the air intake. I've had to move it to prevent the filter from getting soaked.

I've been caught in several afternoon sea breeze thunderstorms, which in semi-tropical Central Florida can be pretty extreme. Kind of like having a fire hose turned on you! Frankly, the car always seems to fare better than the driver. But the real problem is that, at least around here, when the rain starts coming down everyone else suddenly seems to lose the ability to drive their SUV and worse, a Locost takes on the property of invisibility!

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 9:23 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

I share your concern. My stock Miata seats take days to dry out. Ask me how I know. I'm going to seal my wooden dash...some day. Other than that, I don't think I'm in much rain jeopardy, other than my own sugary self melting away.

I drilled 3/16" holes in corners of various floor panels. I then slid a punch in the hole from below and torqued the punch to the rear of the car, forming a sort of micro-louver to keep it from collecting any spray.

I know, I know...by the time there's rain splashing up from the tires, I've got bigger problems than a half-dozen holes in the floor taking on water! But, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

-dave "soggy bottom" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 9:41 am 
We are Slotus!

Maybe we shouldn't be such wussies about all this. Note the image that Dave Hempy had previously posted in another thread:
Attachment:
Orange7-1_MG_5065.jpg

They don't seem all that concerned...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 11:06 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Maybe we shouldn't be such wussies about all this. Note the image that Dave Hempy had previously posted in another thread:
Attachment:
Orange7-1_MG_5065.jpg

They don't seem all that concerned...

Fear of dying usually overcomes any concern of a soggy bottom.

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 3:07 pm 

dhempy wrote:
I share your concern. My stock Miata seats take days to dry out. Ask me how I know.

Oh miata seats really don't like water, the bottoms of mine are rusty just from the occasional soft top leak!

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 3:53 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

As far as the dash goes, you can buy little screw-on rubber caps for toggle switches.

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 4:06 pm 
We are Slotus!

kb58 wrote:
As far as the dash goes, you can buy little screw-on rubber caps for toggle switches.

:thmbsup: Kurt! That would be a very good idea, based on my personal experience(s):

My MGB has a four switch/four fuse "box" mounted on the tunnel, forward of the shifter. IIRC, it came from "Painless Wiring". There's an instantaneous start as well as ignition, fuel pump and fan on/off switches. I let the little bugger get wet on two different occasions and every time I had to replace a switch within two weeks.

On those same occasions, the guages got wet as well, but no problems. The tach sits on the steering column and the OP, WT and Voltmeter are on the front cross bar of the roll cage, all equally exposed to the weather.

JDK

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 4:52 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I got the caps from digikey.com... http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=360-1750-ND

PostPosted: May 18, 2010, 5:25 pm 

The boots are also available from Napa TG6570 and TG6571 and you can also get water resistant push button switch STB6301 that can be used for horns or a starter button.