LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently October 16, 2018, 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 26, 2018, 9:38 pm 

Hey guys,

Wondering what you are running for high-mounts? I'm looking to hang on my rollbar, and intend to put a dashcam ahead of the light to keep it less visible and out of the sun.

Cheers.

PostPosted: July 27, 2018, 1:43 pm 

I did it the hard way. I bought a strip of red LED's (encased in clear rubber - definitely a Harbor Freight-type item), acquired a chunk of 1"X 1" black ABS roughly a foot long, and routered out (using the small milling attachment on my lathe) a groove for the LED strip. Pressed the LED strip into it, ran the wire through a small hole in the roll bar & down into the trunk area, where it connects to one of the brake light wires.

To hang it on the underside of the roll bar, I welded on a couple of small L-shaped brackets (1/16" steel) onto the underside of the bar, so the L's hook under each end of the ABS. Two screws up through the L shapes into the ABS secures it all.

It makes a REALLY bright high brake light, and uses virtually no measurable amount of power. Because the LED's are completely encased in clear rubber (vinyl? PVC?), they're totally waterproof.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: July 27, 2018, 4:29 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078C5H4R5/re ... 59f0dbaf2c

Here is a link to the brackets. It should also show you the lights that go in the bracket. These are common trailer lights. They are bright, and can be used as a running light as well.

Ken

PostPosted: July 28, 2018, 10:16 am 

I originally had a strip of LED's. maybe 21 LED's all in a row. I was very unhappy with the light intensity and light directionality. IT mattered a lot if the following car was a raised pickup truck vs Honda Civic. However the installation did look stealth(ish).I swapped it over to one of the ubiquitous LED trailer lights discussed above. Mine had a chromed plastic trim rather than being encased in rubber WOW that grabs attention.

Attachments:
3rd.JPG
3rd.JPG [ 27.49 KiB | Viewed 1204 times