LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 11, 2020, 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 31, 2010, 11:43 am 

Has anyone heard of this company or dealt with them? They are in California and make lots of custom trailer fenders. I got a quote for $75 each for fenders for my locost and am probably going to order them as long as shipping is reasonable. http://www.fendersnmore.com/index.htm
They have lots of widths available and it looks like you can get any length and radius you want.
Kristian

PostPosted: August 31, 2010, 12:16 pm 
-the man.

WOW!!!, wonder how well they will hold up. Wonder if stuff hitting them from the bottom would make a dimple? I like the look. Get some and keep us posted.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: August 31, 2010, 12:18 pm 

You might want to ask how much their fenders weigh. Especially for the front which will be unsprung in the typical locost.

PostPosted: August 31, 2010, 7:39 pm 

vroom wrote:
You might want to ask how much their fenders weigh. Especially for the front which will be unsprung in the typical locost.

I just talked to a rep there and she said they can make them from .063, .080, and .090 depending on style, with .090 being standard. I think I might get the fronts in .063 and the rears in .090. I hammered out a front fender on the weekend to the same dimensions as what I will order and it weighs 1 lb 7.3 oz out of .063 aluminum. It looks kinda crappy because I have no way to shrink the edges to get a deeper fender.
The fenders these guys sell are part of a circle looking at them from the side, so for rear fenders mine will be more than 180 degrees of a circle, if that makes sense. Same idea as Jack's steamroller fenders, but mine will be smaller diameter, 28 inches as opposed to 30 inches. They figured shipping to Canada would be about $115 for all four fenders, so US shipping should be pretty reasonable. $415 for a set of four custom aluminum fenders sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Kristian

PostPosted: August 31, 2010, 9:14 pm 

Does anyone know what a typical GRP fender weighs? I'm not sure how thick they are normally made so cannot calculate a comparison.

PostPosted: August 31, 2010, 11:19 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

I would avoid a steel fender on the fronts. The weight will play hell on any but the stoutest fender brackets. We've seen this played out too many times, by experienced builders like Mark Rivera and Chet. Plus, the unsprung weight will be very high. Stick with glass (or plastic?) for the moving fenders. Rears (non-moving) are not so critical.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: September 1, 2010, 12:35 am 

I used steel trailer fenders on the front of my Locost and I had to beef up the fender brackets when they started to crack from the weight of the fenders. That being said, no more cracks developed after adding some gussets to the brackets. Given the low cost of the fenders, I would do it again.

Also, I don't like how many of the fiberglass fenders don't wrap very far around the back of the tire. I prefer the look (and the added stone protection) of the trailer fenders that I bought that wrap further down the back of the tire.

You can see some pictures in my photo gallery.

Mark

PostPosted: September 1, 2010, 5:40 am 

mainlandboy,

Dito on the fenders that come down further in the rear. I would rather not have a rock hit my arm and have the lower fenders. I think when I get mine going I hope to have nearly no fiberglass parts. As for my brackets, I plan to consult with a blacksmith shop thats right down the road. I saw some of the guys work and his forged motorcycle fender brackets are some kinda tough, and good looking. I also plan to get him to make me some good looking forged windshield brackets. I just love ornamental(but functional) forged iron.

Mark.

PostPosted: September 1, 2010, 11:44 am 

If my calcs are right, it looks like 0.063 aluminum weighs about the same as 3mm thick fiberglass. These certainly look viable, nice find Kristian!
A bonus for me - they are just a couple hours drive away.
I reckon if that rubbery paint stuff was applied to the inside then the risk of dents would be minimized.

PostPosted: September 1, 2010, 1:21 pm 
The voice of reason

If you got some extra of that fender material, you could cut up a few slices to bond and double it where it gets bolted or front/back edges. Then it would be hi tech composite or something. :)

PostPosted: September 1, 2010, 4:31 pm 

hassleweed wrote:
If my calcs are right, it looks like 0.063 Aluminium weighs about the same as 3mm thick fiberglass.

So I just weighed a fibreglass front fender that is pretty much the same size as the aluminum one and the fibreglass was not quite 1 oz lighter. 1 lb 6.5 oz for fibreglass and 1 lb 7.3 oz for the aluminum in .063.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 2, 2010, 2:10 pm 

Fenders are ordered, so we'll see how they are in a couple weeks. I got them extra long for the front, they wrap around more than 180 degrees, so I should be able to trim them to get two sets of front fenders.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 2, 2010, 7:43 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
Fenders are ordered, so we'll see how they are in a couple weeks. I got them extra long for the front, they wrap around more than 180 degrees, so I should be able to trim them to get two sets of front fenders.
Kristian

How did you place the order - using their website?

PostPosted: September 2, 2010, 10:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

hassleweed wrote:
turbo_bird wrote:
Kristian

How did you place the order - using their website?

Yo-
I'll second that question. Been lurking in the background on this thread, thinkin' I might be interested in some allie fenders myself. The website didn't seem to have a way to order...

So... Spill the beans, Bro...

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: September 3, 2010, 12:28 am 

[Part quote]
They figured shipping to Canada would be about $115 for all four fenders, so US shipping should be pretty reasonable. $415 for a set of four custom Aluminium fenders sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Kristian[/quote]

C'mon you "Lo(w)cost builders" this fender buyin' business is contradictory to the spirit of Lo(w)cost tradition.
(Don't know now) but Harbord Freight Tools used to sell in-expensive gizmo called a "Shrinker" with which
a truly Lo(w)cost builder could make his (hers) own fenders, cowl, plus other parts of the body.
We are using 0.40 thou thin utility aluminum for fenders
and the rest of the body , except nose cone, which is
done with f-glass.
A shrinker shouldn't cost more than 80.$ a sheath of 0.40 Thou aluminum costs about 60.$. With that you can make two sets of fenders (for two cars) and the
money saved could be given to Salvation Army.

Low-cost minded Ewhen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3-FdyrW_U