LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 3:20 pm 

I promised to post this for Jack many weeks ago, but with baby arriving etc. etc., well no more excuses - here it is. I ordered a roll bar from Jack based on what I'd seen on his web page. He advised he had a new supplier that would fabricate the roll bar, and hence wanted me to share the result on this forum.

The roll bar came in pieces, including pre-bent hoop, cross-diagonal brace, horizontal bar and two rear stays. I had my own base plates. Everything arrived all taped together, shipped by fedex. The fish-mouths came out really well. I had to modify them on the rear stays, but that was to suit the car. Some minor tweeks of the diagonal brace were required, but that was basically as a result of where I wanted the horizontal bar to finish up.

The bends in the hoop show very slight decrease in diameter - I assume they were mandrel bent, but there's a small 'crease' nonetheless. Nothing that I'm concerned about.

I was nervous about welding this as it would be on show, but I was delighted with the outcome. I cannot comment yet on value as I haven't paid for it yet (or the nosecone) - I still need an invoice from Jack. Hi did assure me of a rough cost, and if true, then this turned out a great deal. Here's some pics:
Attachment:
S2010055.JPG

Attachment:
S2010063.JPG

Attachment:
S2010078.JPG

Attachment:
S2010085.JPG

Martin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 14, 2011, 3:31 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Very nice on both your part and Jack's.

That looks nice and should be easily removable.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: August 19, 2011, 12:25 am 

Thanks for posting that, Martin. Roll Cage Components is making these five bar rollbar kits for Kinetic now, and compared to doing these in house, well, they do so much of this kind of work (and buy so much more steel) that they can do it for significantly less than I can--thus the new price of $179. Woohoo, the opposite of inflation.

PostPosted: August 19, 2011, 8:20 am 

Jack, when I saw Martin's post, I was wondering if Jimmy and you finally hooked up. Jimmy does great work. As you know, he built mine.

Great news!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766