LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 5:29 pm 

I really dig the vintage look of the Edsel Ford model 40 speedster, I've been messing around in photoshop doing some major sectioning etc. to get it into more of a 442E vein.
Here are the results. Supposedly this is one of the first cars designed in a wind tunnel, so may have better aero than a seven. Also if you look at the steps in the body it looks like a frame could be tweaked in areas to fit the body panels this way. Headlights are too low to be legal, but I like the old hotrod look. Thanks to whoever's car that is for the scale comparison.

Here's one with a '63 vette style hardtop (not sure how you'd get into it);

If you google edsel model 40 speedster you can see what the original looks like.

-ER

PostPosted: March 9, 2012, 5:50 pm 

Great looking car and very forward thinking for an almost 80-year old car. Here is a great video from Jay Leno's Garage when this car was featured at Pebble Beach.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-ga ... speedster/

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 2:54 pm 

the head light problem could be resolved by fitting 40 ford head lights in the front fenders

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 10, 2012, 9:09 pm 

[quote="soulkraft"]I really dig the vintage look of the Edsel Ford model 40 speedster,

If you google edsel model 40 speedster you can see what the original looks like.
I like the lower line you adapted from the original. with the newer engines and a dry sump it probably can work.

I quite like the coupe design. Reminiscent of the maybe the BMW coupe.
I'd build it!
944Tim

PostPosted: March 13, 2012, 2:39 pm 

soulkraft wrote:
Supposedly this is one of the first cars designed in a wind tunnel, so may have better aero than a seven.
Ya think? Even better than a Se7en? I need a little time to process the possibility...

Okay, I'm back. I find the distinctive headlights particularly loathsome, but dig the rest of it. The headlight height is specified in all the US vehicles codes (center of headlight no less than 22" or 24" above the ground, depending on the state) but width is generally "as wide as possible", so if you lifted that hammerhead headlight holder to the upper sides of the nose you could keep the feel of the original at a modest cost to authenticity...not that all that many folks will recognize what inspired your design. If somebody rags you about it, say, "Oh, you must be thinking of the '34 Edsel Ford model 40 speedster. This is a '35."

As for the coupe concept, your door choices are gullwing, GT40 style swing-out with a big notch in the roof, or modern exotic butterfly. My next car will be a roadster with a removable coupelike enclosure; pure roadsters are just too limiting in the Pacific Northwest. Either way I say GFI, and yes, I think you'll find it an aerodynamic improvement--probably enough improvement to notice at the gas pump.

PostPosted: March 16, 2012, 11:27 am 

I'd like to see the coupe from this view