LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 5:03 pm 

Hi, it's JackMcCornack butting in and abusing my power as a mod. Unfortunately, due to software limitations (or more likely, my skill limitations) I can't get Run87k's name and icon off the first post of this topic, but it's me here, all right, and I do apologize.

Instead of hogging Run87k's latest build log <1930s Style Sports Car in Non-Traditional Builds> where he's going with something of a Chevy motif, I decided the irrelevant (to his topic) Airline Coupe info should be copied to the Exterior forum.

A bit of background: MG made 51 units of a two place sports coupe in the mid-30s called the Airline Coupe. In 1938, HRG made a version of it with a 55 horse Triumph engine; they made exactly one and it changed hands for about twenty bucks in 1965 and $253,000 in 2013 (note that the owners had spruced it up considerably in the interim). The MG never rang my chimes but I think the HRG look has some potential as a foul weather Locost. Yeah, it would need some sort of non-period entry and exit accommodations (Gullwing doors? Lambo-style butterfly doors? Scratch that; I didn't say that) but otherwise the look appeals to me, and without something much better than I have now, I can't get passengers to ride with me in the rainy season (which in Western Oregon, runs for most of the year).

PS--the link below this line takes you to Run87k's Locost build log.

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 7:32 pm 

One car that I have always liked was the MG Airline Coupe. I submit this as a design concept.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 12:46 am 
We are Slotus!

I like that Airline Coupe too, Chuck. Great lookin' little car. Probably about the size of a Se7en chassis too...

What you tink, 87K?

:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 4:38 am 

I like this also. I imagine there was a time that it was considered a "two seater"........

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 1:39 pm 

There's an MG PB Airline Coupe here in Vancouver, and I can tell you its very small. There are a ton of details on it that are amazing given how old it is. If I were to ever stumble across a PA or PB chassis it would be a tough decision whether to build a Airline Coupe or a Q-type body.

Rod

PostPosted: December 4, 2014, 7:47 pm 

Cool build and I would vote for the Airline Coupe but you are right they are tiny Spridget axle might be too wide :shock:
I'm not sure about your view on 30s car's side panels being flat in fact I'm pretty sure the only way to make them look flat is to roll a little crown in them. This also makes them a lot stiffer. I don't want to discourage you though after all if you can build a car you can easily build an ewheel.

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 9:30 am 

vroom wrote:
I'm not sure about your view on 30s car's side panels being flat in fact I'm pretty sure the only way to make them look flat is to roll a little crown in them. This also makes them a lot stiffer.

I've read that too. I'm hoping Santa brings me an English wheel then I'll get out the Ron Covell dvds. I have a feeling that the place where I get sheet metal will see a lot of me in the future.

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 6:35 pm 

Another thought on the Airline Coupe: the trick that made it possible to be so tiny was that the seat was very upright and the clutch was back next to the drivers feet, I would bet the WB wasn't any longer than 80".
I'm not sure why you are interested in a steel body. It is more work and if you use the 19 ga. most custom fabricators use a lot heavier. But stronger and requiring less support. Of course you can't weld the Al to steel but you can bond it with urethanes, or so I am told.

PostPosted: December 10, 2014, 2:28 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
One car that I have always liked was the MG Airline Coupe. I submit this as a design concept.
One I liked even better (and as long as the subject title is "1930s Style Sports Car" I'm not guilty of hijacking) is the HRG Airline Coupe, which used an MG Airline Coupe cabin and a firewall-forward rebody to fit a bigger engine and longer (and better suited to road racing) chassis/wheelbase.
Attachment:
AirlineCoupe38HRG.jpg
Lots of photos and info at <http://www.conceptcarz.com/z20983/HRG-Airline-Coupe.aspx>, including...

"The frame for the HRG Coupe was constructed from the chassis of the Halford-Cross Rotary Special race car. The chassis was widened to accommodate the coupe body and was then given chassis number WT-68. The fenders and bonnet were the work of the Crofts Coachbuilding firm which also handled the body assembly. The rear section of the car was a second series of the MG Airline coupe manufactured by Carbodies. The result of the work made its debut at the Brooklands Race Track in England in 1938, but never went into production due to the onset of World War II and the departure of its proponent Halford.

"After Halford left the company, the partners decided not to continue with the project. The car was modified to accept the second-series Carbodies, Inc. MG Airline coupe body. Crofts Coachbuilding assembled the car, and formed the unique fenders and bonnet. Power comes from a Triumph Dolomite four-cylinder, 1,496cc engine offering 55 horsepower. The exterior is painted in Dolomac Ivory, while the interior is done in custom green leather with Brazilian Sapplewood accents. It was intended to be shown during the 1939 motor show season, but those plans were interrupted by the outbreak of World War II and the body style never went into production."

I find it far more attractive than the MG. I'll try to scale some comparison photos and append them to this post when done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 10, 2014, 4:24 pm 

Here's a comparison attempt. I don't have the scaling perfect but it gives you an idea of the difference in size. The MG is the top one, the HRG is below.

A lot of closed cars of that era (including these) had windshields that pivoted slightly at the top and opened at the bottom for additional airflow--I wonder how well that would work on a Locost. It's not at all necessary on the traditional version, but whenever folks (myself included) start messing with bodies (even roadster bodies), hot days get kinda hot.

PostPosted: December 12, 2014, 11:38 am 

Jack, Very nice find. I'm not a fan of the front wheels being so much further forward of the rest of the car. I do like the longer hood, or should I say bonnet? And I like the way the rear fenders wrap a bit further around the tires. From other pics that I have seen, it looks like most of that longer hood was used for extending the legroom. It appears that the driver sits in a more reclined position than in the MG, thus requiring the more legroom.

For those interested, here is the story of the "reconstruction" with pics. http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/201 ... ture8.html

the body wood was made new, Then re-skinned in aluminum to replace the steel. from that article: " Only one part of the original body was reused: the aluminum spare tire cover." and regarding the original chassis : "Wes fabricated the front two-thirds of the sidemembers from stronger steel, boxing the stressed front part of the rails and the forwardmost factory gussets." I wonder how much of the original car is really left there? Not to discount the wonderful work that was done in preparing this car.

Funny how things work though. One company makes a one-off years ago and later someone "reconstructs" or "recreates" it. It becomes such a unique "example" and a collector's item. We each make our own one-offs and nobody breaks down our door with stacks of $$ to purchase our creations. We can only wish. Maybe in another 80 years....:cheers:

Thanks for bringing my attention to this other "airline coupe". I had never heard of it before.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 12, 2014, 12:23 pm 

I keep looking at the Airline Coupe and wonder what it would look like with cycle fenders. There's a guy here in town with a pre-war Aston Coupe with cycle fenders and it looks very cool. I wish I had photoshop skills....

Rod

PostPosted: December 12, 2014, 2:09 pm 

The MG airline coupe was based on the PA, PB, NA, NB and TA chassis.

Take a look thru the triple m register website photos. http://www.triple-mregister.org/pictures_members.aspYou will see some cycle-fendered versions of these chassis', albeit, roadsters. You will have to use your imagination or Photoshop to see what an Airline coupe would look like with cycle fenders.

PostPosted: December 12, 2014, 3:14 pm 

I wish I had photoshop skills. But, just to be an anorak, the P types never came stock with cycle fenders (other than the handful of "Cream Crackers" team cars), nor did the TA (my former boss has TA 0251, the prototype). The early J2's had cycle fenders, but later switched to the swept front wings. I'm not too up on N types, I was more of a K3 fan (same owner of the PB Airline here in town has a K3 too).

But, I will have a look at the triple-M register and see if I can figure out the photochop and see what I can come up with.

Rod