LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fender mounts
PostPosted: March 3, 2016, 5:32 pm 

I have been looking around and it looks like people are saying to stay away from 1/8 strap style mounts so do you guys have any suggestions on how to mount them?

this is what i came up with but i am not sure how small of a tube i could get away with.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

Post subject: Re: Fender mounts
PostPosted: March 3, 2016, 7:36 pm 

Here is from my build log. I'm sure there are nearly as many ways to do it as there are builders. I can say that these have held up for 5 yrs now. Now that I have said that, I'm sure they will die on the first drive this year. :mrgreen: They were eventually welded full-length.

Quote:
They are made of a continuous piece of 1/8 x 1” steel from the upright mount, up and under the fiberglass fender. Then I split a 1” tube and welded the ½ tube to the 1/8” forming a “D” shaped tube. The upper end of the “D” is chamfered and closed. The “D” shape allows for a flat surface to fit flush against the brackets and a close fit to the tires. Four ¼” bolts unscrew from the upright bracket to remove the fender with stays. None of this share any suspension or brake bolts or nuts. This was an important design goal for me. I don’t like the idea of using structural hardware doing double-duty as mounts other things. As of now I have only one side tacked together. I have about 1/4" clearance between the fender stays and the tire. I hope this will be enough.

None of this “fixes” the traditional weak point at the transition of the tube to the 1/8” steel. I guess I’ll just have to learn the hard way, like so many before me. SO go ahead..... I can take it...... Of course, any ideas on how to make this a bit more robust short of tearing it apart an doing it over are welcome.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 12:47 pm 

It's hard to argue with success and Chuck's (rx7locost) have been hanging on for 5 years. The general problem over time seems to be cracking due to vibration as I'm understanding the issue. Looking at your proposed design, I'm wondering if having the fender essentially cantilevered off one mounting location might aggravate the problem? Having a wider base and more than one mounting location might increase your chances of success.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 2:13 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
It's hard to argue with success and Chuck's (rx7locost) have been hanging on for 5 years. The general problem over time seems to be cracking due to vibration as I'm understanding the issue. Looking at your proposed design, I'm wondering if having the fender essentially cantilevered off one mounting location might aggravate the problem? Having a wider base and more than one mounting location might increase your chances of success.

Cheers,

yeah i am not sure but it "should" be ok.

As a second option:
The fenders are actually reinforced at the transition from the top to the side so that they could be side mounted without having the bar going under the inside of the fender, of course with a backing plate. I would need to epoxy studs to the inside like i did for the cars side panel mounts. Again not sure how the vibration would affect this area.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 5:36 pm 

I like the idea of straps going under the fender, and particularly like the tubes welded to the straps the way you've done, avoiding any bend in the straps that could eventually fatigue and crack. That's what I did, and 20K miles later the fenders are rock solid. I'm not as sure about the bend in the tubes, but mine are bent a little and they seem less prone to fatigue than a flat strap.
Attachment:
turnsignals.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 8:13 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Looks like you’ve done what you can. I’d use windshield urethane glue seal (usually available in a caulk tube from autobody paint suppliers for around $10) to glue the fenders to the frame, extending down the inboard flange to let the fender add to the rigidty. No fasteners sticking out and you can cut it off with a razor.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 10:49 pm 

The windshield glue sounds like a good idea.

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 7:16 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
I have been looking around and it looks like people are saying to stay away from 1/8 strap style mounts so do you guys have any suggestions on how to mount them?

this is what i came up with but i am not sure how small of a tube i could get away with.

I've seen you're build log, you definitely have the skills...........save some weight and integrate the fender stays into your composite fenders.
See my build for what I hope is a good solution.
Attachment:
fender-out.jpg

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 8:11 pm 

My Indian Chief style mounts. Not quite 2,000 miles on them.

PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 9:19 pm 
Toyotaphobe

benny_toe wrote:
My Indian Chief style mounts. Not quite 2,000 miles on them.

That looks like it would also limit, somewhat, the water and sand spray.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 15, 2016, 12:14 am 

I don't have the accumulation of small rocks on my cockpit floor like others I've seen. Don't know about water. Don't drive it when it's wet out.

PostPosted: March 15, 2016, 9:16 am 

How thick are those inner panels, Larry?

PostPosted: March 15, 2016, 9:53 am 

@benny_toe

That's an interesting solution, Larry. From what I can see in the photo, it looks like the black strip of metal is the only place the fender sheet metal attaches to. Where does the black part get attached to the spindle?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 15, 2016, 10:18 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Looks like the black strip of metal is welded to a tab which is under the head of the top upright bolt.

PostPosted: March 15, 2016, 9:30 pm 

Mike,
The backing panels are 1/4" aluminum. Contoured, drilled and tapped to match the Fenders 'n More ally fenders. You can see the bolts in the first picture I posted. The panel was cut with a router. We tried a snowmobile but it left too ragged of an edge.

Lonnie,
KB58 is correct. The black 1/4" steel strap is welded to a 5/16" tab that is attached to the bottom of the UBJ. The UBJ was long enough for it to fit just right. It's also flanged to the upright so it wont turn on it's own.

This design was created (and insisted on) by my mentor, welder, landlord, electrician and occasional assistant, James. He is the owner of the mobil electronics shop where the car was constructed so his thoughts carried a little weight.

Attachment:
IMG_0589.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0590.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0592.JPG

We tried a couple of others but they were way too flimsy. I wanted to do something akin to what Bill Bernard (Tailwind) and Chuck Schaefer (RX7locost) did but James lobbied so much for the 'spat' looking thing that I relented. And it's not very heavy. Plus I think it looks kind of cool.

All the steel runs are short and to date show no signs of fatigue. I check the steel pieces and welds regularly. The aluminum supports are in great shape so far.
I keep thinking I'll be carrying a fender home in the cockpit one day but not yet.