LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Windshield seals...?
PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 2:58 pm 

blownmiata91 wrote:
Hello Zetec7
I am at the same stage as you, getting ready to do the windshield. I will go next week and pick up some of this:

http://www.allglassparts.com/glazing-ga ... -32-width/

I'll let you know if it will work for me. If so, I believe that they will ship to you. If not, I can send it to you. Where in BC are you located?

cheers
Doug
(Edmonton)

Doug -

I'll be interested to know how well that fits the channel. Are you using the same size aluminum channel as I am (3/4" X 3/4" outside, 1/2" X 1/2" inside)?

This is the stuff I got from California: http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac845026.html

Turns out, it's waaay smaller than my channel. I'm guessing that the dune buggy windshield material is only 3/8" or so aluminum as, even with 1/4" stock inside the rubber, the whole thing just falls into my channel without even touching the sides, much less gripping the frame & glass :BH:

It looks like the stuff you're looking at is the same idea, only a fair bit bigger...which might just work!

The site in your link has prices in $CDN, so I'm sure they would ship to me.

Let me know how it fits!! It might be a BIG plus for a whole bunch of us who are at this stage...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 6:17 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
I've just sent Jack an email about this...

I appreciate he's in the business of selling entire windshield kits, so I'm not sure if he'd be willing to sell me a length of seal material on its own. I don't want to put him in an awkward spot! We'll see!
Good heavens, it wouldn't put me in an awkward spot--I'm happy to sell bits of things used in kits, and when I've learned about something available cheaper elsewhere*, I'm happy to tell everybody.

Our channel is 3/8” inside, and the best thing (that I’ve found—there may be something better) is a black sticky and stretchy tape that the glass shop will have, that’s used in the channel at the bottom of roll up car windows to hold the glass in place. I think that’s mentioned on the KineticVehicles.com web site. For a half inch ID channel, I don’t know. Maybe doubling up the tape?

[EDIT]
benny_toe wrote:
,Jack McCornack has a write up on installing the glass on his Kinetic Vehicles web site. Under the Complete Windshield tab is a write up on using setting tape and his bottom trim piece.

The shop that cut my glass threw in a length of setting tape and it worked great. A little daunting at first but worked out fine.
What Benny Toe said. Right, it's called setting tape. I forgot. [END EDIT]

*Which happens a lot. Sometimes I'll find something cool but I can't afford to stock it (like I can't get a break that will cover shipping, or each Locost needs two of them and I'd need to buy 500 of them to get a discount) so I just pass along info on the best source I've found so you can get it yourself--e.g. Fay Curtis for clamshell fenders, Rock Auto for ball joints for UCAs...

PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 7:58 pm 

Thanks, Jack!

I suspect the setting tape may be a little small for my application, as the rubber I got from California is 3/8", and with 1/4" glass (well, a piece of aluminum as a facsimile) in it rattles around in my windshield frame like a penny in a bucket. I'm still going to keep the idea on one of the front burners, though, as I'm thin on other options!

- Mike

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 9:06 am 

I had my side windows redone with tinted glass. The guy used multiple layers of plain setting tape to fill the gap and it pulled apart. I redid it and superglued the setting tape to the glass and to itself. So far, very good.

Bill

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 4:03 pm 

zetec7
The All Glass glazing spline will work, I bought a piece today.
Sorry, but I am not sure how to post a picture.

If an order is less than $25 they have a $5 handling fee. If you buy 20 feet, then you will be just over the $25. They said shipping to you would be $12 to $15.
cheers
Doug

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 4:58 pm 

What's the advantage of a fully-framed windscreen? Seems like extra work, and you still need a seal under the bottom of the frame.

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 7:51 pm 

No real advantage, probably, other than the appearance (and maybe a little more rigidity for windshield glass support).

I'm a little old-school, and want my car to look as much like the originals as I can...and all the originals had full-framed windshields.

And, you're right - it's a LOT of extra work!! Darned expectations, anyway!!! I have this picture in my head of how I want the car to look & perform, and it would be a LOT easier if I could change it. Unfortunately, the picture's been in my head since the 1970's - my buddy and I decided we wanted to build these cars back in '76, but we didn't have the time, tools, space, expertise, etc. to accomplish it back then. And, along came wives, families, careers, etc. that postponed our goals for another, oh, 30-35 years.

Now that we're almost too old to do it, we're doing it! At least we have most of the required tools, shops, experience, etc. to make it happen. And we both have pretty much the same picture in our heads...

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 9:45 pm 

Hey guys, to add to your windshield building, blownmiata sent me a couple of pictures to add as he's having some issues loading pictures/editing profile. Does anyone know where to find that bottom seal?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 7, 2017, 5:02 am 

Wow! If that's 3/4" X 3/4" aluminum channel, then that's the seal material, right there!!

As for the bottom seal, well, that's still an issue. It needs to be a weird shape. In the Cat***hams, the bottom piece of channel has a groove in it, and the bottom seal has a key that slides into the groove. Our plain aluminum, of course, has no keyway. My thinking is to use an H-shaped piece of rubber, and trim off some of the rearward-facing legs of the "H", letting the bottom legs flare out onto the top of the scuttle, sealing it at the front and rear.

The only stuff I've found that's remotely close is the Manx dune buggy windshield-to-cowl seal.

Attachment:
ac845025_2.jpg

Unfortunately, it fits a maximum 3/8" wide frame. I'm going to try trimming one of the upper "H" arms off completely on a small sample piece, cut out the keyway in the middle, and glue the horizontal bar of the "H" to the underside of a sample piece of aluminum frame material (probably using 3M 5250 or similar), in the hopes that it will still seal well at the bottom, as well as having the top vertical section of the "H" seal up against the front of the windshield frame. If it works, I'll post a pic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 7, 2017, 11:16 am 

zetec7 wrote:
Wow! If that's 3/4" X 3/4" aluminum channel, then that's the seal material, right there!!

....... I'm going to try trimming one of the upper "H" arms off completely on a small sample piece, cut out the keyway in the middle, and glue the horizontal bar of the "H" to the underside of a sample piece of aluminum frame material (probably using 3M 5250 or similar), in the hopes that it will still seal well at the bottom, as well as having the top vertical section of the "H" seal up against the front of the windshield frame. If it works, I'll post a pic.

That is what I would do. Maybe even cut the entire rear part of the seal off, leaving just a sideways "T" shaped rubber seal.

However, you did make me chuckle a little bit. Nothing in a Locost would be considered to be "sealed". IMO, if you go for a look of fitting nicely to the cowl in front of the windshield, that will be about as good as you can hope for in the "sealing" department. YMMV :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 7, 2017, 12:41 pm 

:D Good point! It IS a little like plugging one hole in a sieve! Mainly, it will be to keep at least some of the rain (I live in the Pacific Northwest, after all!) from sluicing across the top of the scuttle into my water-absorbent Smiths gauges... :roll: