LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Kurtis body
PostPosted: March 27, 2017, 6:58 pm 

My Kurtis body is starting to take shape. Working on it every wednesday at Wray Schelins Shop www.proshaper.com . We are using the classic italian superleggera techniques (wireform template, shrinking and stretching). Using sand bags, stumps and english wheels to shape, rather than the italian maglio (helve) hammer which leaves a rough finish.

Once you take his 4 day fabrication class, he offers to let you work on your car in his shop, with his guidance for a reasonable hourly rate.

It is a lot of fun seeing it come together and learning new skills. With proper tools and instruction, it is easy to make some nice stuff - i never made a panel before last month!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Kurtis body
PostPosted: March 27, 2017, 7:23 pm 

That looks awesome! I wish I had access to that kind of shop. Are you gas welding the aluminium or TIG welding?

PostPosted: March 27, 2017, 7:45 pm 

Wow!!!!

PostPosted: March 27, 2017, 10:28 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Using sand bags, stumps and english wheels to shape,

I think I see your secret weapon in the background - a Comfy Chair!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnS49c9KZw8

PostPosted: March 28, 2017, 4:27 pm 

I bought a shrinking disk from Wrey. He was very helpful for even that modest buy. Wish I lived near him so I could take the classes, etc.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 28, 2017, 4:36 pm 

Looking great Sean. I'd love to be able to do that kind of work. :thmbsup:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 28, 2017, 5:06 pm 

That is just super, Sean. I've seen some of his YouTube videos and he really seems to know his stuff, and as importantly, seems to be interested in teaching others.

I have aspirations to do a stylized set of body panels for my build too, but as a "Phase II or Phase III" project. I'll be following you efforts with great interest. Please do post photos as warranted.

Regards,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 28, 2017, 6:21 pm 

tig welding the panels. Using 1100 wire leaves a nice finish They are doing a 1920 indy car replica with a polished body -amazing!

Wray offers a 4 days class ($1500). it is 40+ hours. He is really good at teaching metal shaping. I encourage everyone to take it. There are so many myths and misconceptions - he takes the magic out and teaches fundamentally sound concepts and techniques - that don't require super $$ tools. Even if you never build a body from scratch, the techniques have tremendous value.

Seattle Tom - your car DESERVES an aluminum body!

PostPosted: March 28, 2017, 7:34 pm 

Sean in CT wrote:
Seattle Tom - your car DESERVES an aluminum body!
Thanks, Sean. The body will be aluminum, but mostly just flat panels with some rolled edges and a couple of ruled surfaces. Not the neat compound curves you are forming.

Hmmm, an aluminum nose cone would be interesting though...

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: March 28, 2017, 9:33 pm 

Tom - i was thinking nose and fenders - would make a good class project. A glass nose could be copied fairly quickly....

PostPosted: March 28, 2017, 11:55 pm 

Sean in CT wrote:
Tom - i was thinking nose and fenders - would make a good class project. A glass nose could be copied fairly quickly....
An ally nose that was a copy of my modified fiberglass nose would be really nice...but I'll probably leave that until after the car is on the road. Fenders, though, are still needed.

I previously purchased a HF shrinker/stretcher and bead roller along with some extra aluminum sheet to attempt Ewhen's approach to fender building. Haven't progressed beyond thinking about it, though. But Fenders N More is getting pricey.

PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 6:29 pm 

I recall one of those YouTube metal working exports showing us how to do a 30-something Ford front fender. While the video was, I dunno, 30 minutes, the author admitted that it took him 40 hours.

I suspect that the first thing we need to learn for such projects is that even the experts take 40 hours on a fender, and that the TV shows don't begin to show us the work and false starts and swear words involved?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 8:42 pm 

Very cool!

PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 6:58 am 

Wray just put up a youtube video of making a cycle fender using a hammer, stump and modified Harbor Freight English wheel. He now sells kits to make the HF wheel produce quality work They don't work as well as his giant $12000 wheel, but once modified, they do work really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQU4ZFSlYk

Spent 6 hours yesterday refining the rear shape of the kurtis. Next step is to make a flexible shape pattern, so we can make the finished pieces in aluminum. The flexible shape pattern is a technique to both copy and mirror panels - it is really easy, accurate, cheap and effective - i.e. Locost! Ill post pics when i do it.

Geek - Those 30s/40s fenders are a LOT of work. They have reverse curves (like a Pringles chip) as well as edge beading and the edges are wired. Plus, they need to fit the car exactly. Making Locost aluminum cycle fenders is a lot easier. I am going to wire edge mine both for strength and to learn the technique, although a simple 180* flange is probably sufficient.

PostPosted: March 30, 2017, 10:15 am 

The guys like Wray are TRUE artists/craftsmen! I believe 'patience' is actually their most useful tool. I recall, some years back, one of the 'Cobra' kit producers offered the option of an aluminum body to their buyers. The standard 'glass' bodied kit sold for $15K. The 'alloy' kit was $50K! Looking forward to watching your project as it progresses,Sean!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next