LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 9, 2018, 9:50 pm 

Hey guys,

My DD Yaris has a weird water leak. I think it must be the seam sealer in the roof gutter. There are tiny little cracks through the paint in a couple spots, and maybe some at the edges. It's hard to believe they go all the way through, and are large enough to pass the amount water that comes through, but there really is nowhere else for the water to come in. Is there a way to remove the seam sealer w/o damaging the surrounding paint? The gutter is only about 5/8" wide, and about that deep. I was thinking tape and use my 3" cutoff wheel to gouge out the cracks in the middle, then just seal over top rather than try to remove all. Not sure what to do about the cracks at the edges though.

Not my car, but this is the best pic I can find. Thanks for any help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 9, 2018, 9:57 pm 

Better pic. Again, not mine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 11, 2018, 8:00 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
VW Passats had/have the same issue. Same effed up design. To get rid of rain gutters, and get that "aircraft fuselage" style (and wind noise reduction), they put that weak seam sealer strip down both sides of the roof. It's gonna be extremely difficult to identify exactly where it's leaking. IMHO, if it were my (paid for) car, I'd whip both strips out and fill the gap with flex seal. It's not gonna make the car look any worse.

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 5:30 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

It looks like a plastic strip tape covers the seam, wrapping around the ends through the windscreen frame and hatch. I'd use a razor blade to remove as much as possible, a wire wheel to clean the grooves, then Eastwood seam sealer. It is a one-part sealer that is easy to work with and clean up. It also hardens enough to be painted and appears machine grey. Otherwise I'd use loctite's urethane sealer in caulk form (p40, ps40 or something like that). Warm the tube in hot water before trying to use it for easier flow. Sticks to everything so wear latex disposable gloves, have paper towels, and acetone for clean up. I suggest you do not use silicone or latex caulk.

To find the leak, raise the car at one end to slant the roof, place a water hose with a nozzle only slightly open on the lower end and check the interior. Move it up, check again, and so on. Your are looking for where it enters on top rather than where it drips inside, which can be far away so go slow.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 14, 2018, 11:43 pm 

I used to work in a body shop and we used the "clean and strip" disks and a putty knife to remove seam sealer.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Cle ... Z3VCJS3APS

PostPosted: July 15, 2018, 12:12 am 

Try putting a positive pressure in the cabin and looking for the source of the leak with a spray bottle of soapy water.

PostPosted: July 23, 2018, 11:01 pm 

Thanks guys. I had a closer look and it turns out the seam sealer is just a tiny bead that has been flattened out. I'd though the entire gutter was covered. I should be able to scrape and use the edge of a roloc and make it happen. There are some cracks in it, and there really is nowhere else for the water to be coming from so it's the next step.

Cheers.