LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 3, 2024, 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 11:51 am 

I'm working step-by-step to get a Megasquirt II installed. I need an O2 sensor at some point and plan on installing a wideband unit. These can have a display, or not, associated with the controller. Is there an advantage to having a 'real-time' display on the dash?

I'm leaning towards the AEM 30-2310 controller, mainly since I have the wires pulled into the engine compartment. Anyone have experience using this unit with a MS-II?

Thanks for the insights.

Bill

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 12:17 pm 
Always Moore!

I was having the same dilemma earlier this week when I was ordering a LC1. I went with the gauge since it seemed like a nice piece of information to have available on the dash especially during tuning. Plus its a quick indication if something goes wrong.

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 1:49 pm 

I'v got a 14point7 wideband with a PCB mounted digital display. I have that temporarily mounted (double stick tape) to the cross member under the dash. I use it all the time to verify the tune. Good to look at when the laptop is not connected. I am about a year into the tune and still refer to it now and again. I guess I'm not too into tuning.:roll: I planned on eventually running the MS2 open loop to save the O2 sensor after getting the perfect tune. Then I'd remove the display. But for starting out a tune, I'd recommend the display.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 2:02 pm 

hi as your megasquirt can record and or show on your computer the ox2 readings, megasquirt can be set to shut down your engine if the fuel mixture varies too much.
so a dash display is not really needed, but might impress your passinger .
i got mine from 14point7.com
good price, great product, help if needed.
you will never look at the display when you accererate anyway

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 3:48 pm 

Yeah, I find you never look at it when you actually need it, since you're concentrating on driving. Just set up the safety in megasquirt so it protects the engine from super lean conditions, and datalog so you can look at it later.

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 5:19 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

After the initial tune I'd say no... BUT, if it's a turbo engine, it's a lot more important. A compromise would be to turn on a warning if it gets out of range.

PostPosted: January 8, 2012, 6:51 pm 

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll be the first to admit that there is a LOT about this fuel injection that I have yet to learn. I suspected that the display was mostly "nice to have" or "cool to look at" but not really required. If it did show something really abnormal, there isn't anything one could do about it without a laptop handy.

I did look briefly at the documentation for the installation of the unit from 14 point 7. That unit seemed to be the most complex installation of any I have seen. (Admittedly, not too many.) While it could display information from a great many sensors, it couldn't SHARE sensors, so there was probably a need to duplicate things, if you wanted more than just the AFR displayed.

I suspect that if one wanted a display, something like the Megaview would be possibly a better way to go. It would display what the Megasquirt is seeing and display it for the user. It also hooks up to the RS232 port in the MS box. Finding an enclosure for it might be a problem, though.

So far, I think I'm going to take my chances with the AEM 30-2310 controller. It doesn't have a display, although I think it has an RS232 output so something might be possible. It also looks like a pretty simple installation.

Thanks, again, for the comments

Bill

PostPosted: January 9, 2012, 2:24 am 

Tailwind wrote:
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll be the first to admit that there is a LOT about this fuel injection that I have yet to learn. I suspected that the display was mostly "nice to have" or "cool to look at" but not really required. If it did show something really abnormal, there isn't anything one could do about it without a laptop handy.

If you were to notice a sudden persistent lean condition, it would give you a chance to get off of the gas or shut off the engine before you do any damage.

PostPosted: January 9, 2012, 11:08 am 

While tuning, I have found the hardest nuts to crack to be transitional events. That is the area where a visual readout is useless. In order to diagnose and correct a problem, you need to know rpm, manifold pressure, Lambda and who knows what else. Short story, you can't monitor all that info while driving. Hell, even when riding shotgun. Logging is the only way to go.

If you are interested in what is going on while cruising, a multimeter and narrow band sensor is probably as good as anything.

Bill