LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 12:41 am 

I have gone through the entire category looking for how the radiator mountings relative to the nose ect. My rad is coming tomorrow and its time to start with this aspect. I am getting the civic rad so a vertical mount should fit in the nose. I am sure that I am not the only one that could benefit from seeing mounting solutions ect.

Having pictures and descriptions as to what parts where used would be really helpful to me an others who are reaching this stage.

Thanks.
WAX

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 4:09 am 

Been thinking about posting a thread covering this very subject. I too am using the double row, all aluminum radiator for a Civic/CRX. Curious as to how Honda mounted it I did a little research (very little was needed). They use just 3 mounting points, each insulated with beefy rubber bushings. Two pegs on the bottom and a peg on the top. These bushings are available from your friendly Honda parts dept.

The bottom mounts were pretty simple. A couple of small plates welded to a cross member with a cup to hold the bushing. The scrap tube from the rack shortening fit the bushings perfectly to make the cup.

Attachment:
IMG_0493.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0494.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0586.JPG

The top mount was more involved. Had to make a stout brace that the Honda bushing would fit and hold the radiator in place.

Attachment:
IMG_0484.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0588.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0590.JPG

The stock fan bolts right on. Cheap from a pick and pull. Seems just about any year will fit.

Attachment:
IMG_0664.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0666.JPG

I'm very satisfied with the results. Using the stock Toyota sensor the fan kicks in around 210*, turns off around 180*. All was straight forward and works great.

Attachment:
IMG_0706.JPG

Hope this helps any one using the Civic/CRX radiator. Any questions or particular photo requests gladly accepted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 9:31 am 

Thank you bunches Larry!

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 9:50 am 

That's pretty cool that you got the rad back in the frame like that. I used a much bigger rad that barely fit in the nose, but it's supposed to be good for 400hp. I'm not sure what car it comes from, but it might be a drag racing one. I had to turn it sideways to fit. Here's a couple pictures of how I did it.
The lower tubes pretty much match the slope of the nosecone, and it attaches to the small plate in the middle with a dzus. The channels shape pieces at the front are 16ga sheet, and the bottom tank sits in them with a bit of thin foam rubber to issolate it. There's another piece made of 16ga steel that bolts on top of the frame to clamp the rad in place.

Here you can see the angle of the rad.Image

Here's a shot of the rad and fan. I think the fan is a 12" or 14" generic aftermarket.

If I were doing it again, I would try to tip the rad forward instead of back, it would make getting air out of the system a lot easier, and I could have a duct coming out the top of the nose to evacuate the hot air from the rad.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 11:35 am 

I also use the 2-row aluminum, eBay Civic/delSol radiator. These little things are great and cheap! BTW, they come in 2 different hose sizes so select the one that best suits your use. Like Larry, I used the lower posts. Unlike him, I mounted them in plain ol' rubber grommets inserted into some 1" sq. tube horns extending from the frame. I mounted in front of the frame and used an eBay 14" (?) electric fan mounted using the plastic tie wrap thru the fins thingies. It was a tight fit inside the Kinetic nosecone, even with the tilted radiator. For the top restraint, I offset it so I could get the rad hose on/off the inlet.

That piece of cardboard is protection around my oil cooler. It is mounted on the cross brace behind the radiator to get some exhaust airflow from the electric fan.

This pic is from my old build photos.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 11:51 am 

I used the popular Honda radiator that I got from Ebay. It came with an electric fan. I have a sheet metal mount that uses the fan mounting bosses not the Honda pegs. The sheet metal is fairly flexible so I don't think the lack of rubber will be a problem. As of last night I had 176 miles on it so I can't say if this will last long term.
Attachment:
DSC01431.JPG

Attachment:
DSC02456.JPG

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 4:03 pm 

You can find some pictures of my mounts at the end of this post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16114

I used refrigerator seal foam tape at the bottom of the radiator and let it rest on the front skid plate. Two holes in the skid plate accept the bottom radiator mount posts with rubber hose shoved over them. The top of the radiator is mounted using the fan bosses and the fan is mounted to the front using welded brackets at the bottom and another bracket at the top fitted over the radiator's top mounting post. Take a look at the pictures - it's a lot easier to see it than say it.

John

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 5:21 pm 

This mounting system has some interesting aspects that may be useful to V8 locost builders. The pics are from the repro Scarab build in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13273&hilit=scarab
Attachment:
emailIMG_7184.jpg
Attachment:
EmailIMG_7167.jpg
As Car9's front bulkhead is in line with the front wheel centers, I'll be doing a riff on this radiator mount/substructure approach, but without the Scarab's hood support and lower "aero" lip.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52