LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 29, 2015, 2:01 pm 

I'm looking for a way to be able to monitor Intake air temperature and boost on my blow-through Weber set up. There's no AIT sensor, no ECU, or other electronics. And I don't want to add any either. I also do not want to add sensors and wiring to this car either.

Would a gauge like this new work?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#4013k62/=zkw8lq

Anyone here try something similar?

PostPosted: October 29, 2015, 2:38 pm 

The first thing I would ask is, how much boost do you plan on? The 1st mark on the 75 psi gauge is 10 psi. That doesn't leave very much resolution, let alone accuracy. 2nd question is: do you plan on reading this while driving? This type gauge would need to be mounted directly to intake manifold somewhere, Not remotely. reading this from drivers seat with the engine vibrating and torqueing will be extremely difficult. Not the best type gauge for your needs IMO.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 29, 2015, 3:06 pm 

A mechanical gauge is going to have a fairly long lag compared to an electric one. OEM Manifold Air Temperature gauges stick the thermocouple out into the airflow for fastest response.

Some of the digital gauges will read a MAT sensor; the cheap ones use the VDO/SW style temperature probe originally designed for water temp. The heavy brass jacket would make it too slow to be useful for monitoring the inlet temp.

Are you planning to leave the temp gauge on the car permanently, or will it just be for help while tuning?

FYI, if you're using an intercooler, put the temp sensor downstream of the core; for tuning you're primarily concerned with temperature at the carburetors, not upstream where the turbo is. If you're planning on track days, note that once the intercooler is thoroughly heat-soaked it is much less efficient than when cold.

FYI2; the early Esprit Turbos used blow-through Dell'Orto DHLA 40 or 45 carbs. I'm not ept enough to compare Dell'Orto and Weber naughty bits, but the factory Lotus jetting for them is here: http://esprit.driestone.com/index.php?p ... arburetors and might give you a useful starting point.

FYI3; for all the dislike some tuners have for blow-through, the factory setup on my Yamaha Turbo worked flawlessly for 40,000 miles, even when I cranked the boost up from the factory 6 PSI.