LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 6, 2015, 9:34 pm 

TRX wrote:
Motorcycles and early VWs just came with an odometer. You filled up by mileage, not fuel level.
I had 3 mid 70s Bugs and all their fuel gauges were inaccurate. I lived and walked by that odometer!!!

K "hoofin it" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: November 7, 2015, 1:07 am 

I was going to put a site glass on my` fuel tank because I don't have a fuel gauge either, but then I pneled in the back and built a trunk, so I won't be able to see the site glass anyway. So far so good, just have to remember to keep it filled. I did run out at autocross once and didn't figure out why it wouldn't run until I got home. Didn't think to add gas to it at the event. Things might have to change once I start putting more miles on it though.
Kristian

PostPosted: November 7, 2015, 1:07 am 

I was going to put a site glass on my` fuel tank because I don't have a fuel gauge either, but then I pneled in the back and built a trunk, so I won't be able to see the site glass anyway. So far so good, just have to remember to keep it filled. I did run out at autocross once and didn't figure out why it wouldn't run until I got home. Didn't think to add gas to it at the event. Things might have to change once I start putting more miles on it though.
Kristian

PostPosted: November 7, 2015, 3:13 am 

I think one of these spiral gauges would be the best option, core drill a hole in the tank and install 4 blind rivnuts to hold it down. Good enough for boats,trucks and plant. I think its the same principle as the one on my Harley.

http://www.rochestergauges.com/products/8684.html

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: November 7, 2015, 9:18 am 

Those Rochester twisty gauges look like the ones used on older lawn mowers. They were built into the filler cap. I had one on a Sears mower back in the day. Even some plastic outboard motor tanks had their version. they worked pretty well.

But that reminded me of the earlier gauges used on steel Johnson and Evinrude outboard motor gas tanks. Those would be easy to "calibrate" by modifying the lever arm.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766