LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 21, 2016, 9:14 am 

I am working on the EVAP system for my build and I need to include the emissions equipment. I will be using the stock 96 Miata purge solenoid and charcoal canister. On the Miata fuel tank, there was the roll over valve and then series of check valves, a three way check valve and a two way check valve. I will be using the Miata roll over valve in place of the vent on my JAZ fuel cell, but do I need the check valves? Why are there two check valves? Do they need to be oriented exactly like they were on the Miata?

I think the two way valve is just a liquid check valve to keep liquid fuel from making it to the charcoal canister and the three way is a diaphragm check valve that only allows flow when there is a vacuum on the line. Is this correct? If I plumb it in to my JAZ tank just as it is on the Miata, will the charcoal canister catch all the fumes yet still allow the fuel cell to vent properly so I don't get exhaust fumes or fuel starvation from not allowing air back into the tank?

Attachment:
20160420_165753.jpg

Attachment:
20160420_165747.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: April 21, 2016, 5:00 pm 

Glad to see this post as I am in the same situation with fabricating my fuel tank. I was just planning on installing the vent/valves assembly just like it came on the Miata unless someone has a clever idea to remove all the components associated with this vent system and replace with generic simple tank vent / rollover valve. I'm just afraid something will trigger the computer to do something if it thinks there is an issue with the original setup.

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 8:42 am 

I put all of the Miata tank parts on my car for inspection. Turns out I didn't have to, so they magically fell off one day. All I have left is the rollover valve and the vent tank. I have an aftermarket ECU so this did not cause any computer issues.
Attachment:
IMG_0627.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 12:24 pm 

Run87k wrote:
I put all of the Miata tank parts on my car for inspection. Turns out I didn't have to, so they magically fell off one day. All I have left is the rollover valve and the vent tank. I have an aftermarket ECU so this did not cause any computer issues.
Attachment:
IMG_0627.JPG

How did you plumb the roll over valve and tank vent? Both to a charcoal canister to keep the fumes down?

Chris

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 12:54 pm 

I should have said in my reply that the green foam is wrapped around the charcoal canister. I attached it the way I did because it was causing a vibration when I hard mounted it. It was one of those temporary fixes that became permanent over time.

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 4:11 pm 

Run87k wrote:
It was one of those temporary fixes that became permanent over time.
"This is just temporary, unless it works."
~Red Green

PostPosted: April 23, 2016, 10:08 am 

Run87k wrote:
I should have said in my reply that the green foam is wrapped around the charcoal canister. I attached it the way I did because it was causing a vibration when I hard mounted it. It was one of those temporary fixes that became permanent over time.

Do both the vent and rollover valve go to that charcoal canister? What keeps fuel from flowing out of your vent in case of rollover or are you not worried about that? What charcoal canister are you using? It looks like it is on its side?

Chris