LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 2, 2024, 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 9, 2010, 10:59 am 

Hey all,

Looking to narrow down a muffler choice sooner than later (ordering this week would be grand) and have a few options in mind.

Setup is the following:
-1.8l Miata powered 7
-Naturally aspirated
-No engine mods what so ever
-Header is yet to be built

What I'm looking for:
-DEEP. Not looking for a whiney, high strung "ricer" sound. I know it's a 4 banger but let's have the deepest 4 banger sound. More Camaro and less Civic.
- Under 60 bucks. Let's keep things relatively locost.
- I'm fine with loud. I love loud. Ears bleeding is fine...to a point. I don't want to be kicked off track or get headaches after a long track day (this car is not street legal). Hillclimbs I'm looking to enter are a 96db max...some tracks (Lime Rock) have an 84db max (I don't see this happening).

Here are some options I'm considering, feel free to give as much input as possible -even if it's just "that one looks cool"- and suggestions are very welcome...

1. Moroso 94050 - 2.5'' in/out, 12'' case length (too short?), 16'' total length - $51
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-94050/

Sound clips on various cars as a starting point:
LS1 GTO with LTs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMo77wV ... re=related
SRT-4 mystery exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Mf6L2G-Qg
Porsche 928 mystery exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtid5PBte-Y

2. Jones Full Boar JEX-ATT18S-3 - 2.0" in/out, 18'' case length, 24" total length (too long?) - $26
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEX-ATT18S-3/

From senor Rust Buckets thread:

Sounds clips:
Caddy ETC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGuXoroykgU
Dodge Challenger (might be different style mufflers, not sure): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdKusQlQf-k

Leaning toward the Moroso...I think it will be quieter and I have worries that the Jones might be too long for the 7. Thoughts?

-Ryan

PostPosted: June 9, 2010, 12:41 pm 

You can order just about anything Jones makes (and they make it to order) from Summit. I used Resonator (AR4011S-3) followed by a Turbo Tube muffler (ATT5018) from Jones (aka Full Boar). I too was concerned about the OAL so I got the muffler with no inlets/outlets and added my own. You can make a system more compact by DIY'ing the I/O's. The entrance and exit can be done at some angle rather than straight in. The more volume in the muffler, the quieter and more throaty it is. Since I was limited on the length, I chose the 5" dia muffler over the 4" one. Obviously, it increases the volume of the muffler, but also the inner perf tubes are larger diameter and should make less restriction (more area for holes I think). As you can see in the photo, I managed to get the resonator and the muffler wedged in starting at the front edge of the scuttle.

Study the Full Boar catalog and decide what you want. Then do a search on Summit's website by part number.
http://www.fullboarexhaust.com/PDFgallery1.htm

I was concerned about the "ricer" sound of my "ricer rotary". I ended up with a nice tone. It is a bit loud. Rotarys are notorious for noise. I can't say how your 4 cyl boinger engine would sound.

Not good audio but I have a clip of starting and running on youtube. It was taken in a garage so....keep that in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q-UQ3zLccc

If you are seriously considering the Jones, I could get another video with maybe better sound. Just ask.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 9, 2010, 2:30 pm 

Thanks for the post rx7...

Jones does seem to make a quality product and they have a lot of options on summitracing.com however, at the moment a lot seem to be on about a 3 week back order. Normally fine but my builder and I are shooting to finish this for a hillclimb in early July.

I'm planning on just header and muffler, no resonator or cat...for now. So volume levels are going to be high for sure.

Hmmm.

PostPosted: June 9, 2010, 4:07 pm 

217 Racing wrote:
1. Moroso 94050 - 2.5'' in/out, 12'' case length (too short?), 16'' total length - $51
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-94050/

had a competitor/drinking buddy that ran these, sounded pretty wicked midpass and he claimed more power than an open pipe.......... possible i suppose but i dunno. also used to know a guy who ran stainless ones in his drag boat and they held up there too. you could hear him whack it open from the other side of clearlake but that was after all a 455 olds dual carbs etc etc etc.

PostPosted: June 9, 2010, 10:31 pm 

I have always used glas packs on my Brit 4 cyl. I have never used a Smitty's but have often wondered?? http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Smithys-Glass-Pack-Muffler,1703.html

Just a thought.
Joe Garrison
Crescent, OK

PostPosted: June 10, 2010, 9:35 am 

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I could research this more but all in all it's just a muffler and only 50 bucks said and done.

I'm going with my gut and getting the Moroso pipe. Once all is said and done I'll post up a sound clip and some pics of fitment.

-Ryan

PostPosted: June 10, 2010, 10:21 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Please do, 217. I'm in the same boat as you, and will be interested in your results. Is this a "next week" thing, or "next fall?" If soon, I might wait on your results before ordering something.

-ave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: June 10, 2010, 10:40 am 

dhempy wrote:
Please do, 217. I'm in the same boat as you, and will be interested in your results. Is this a "next week" thing, or "next fall?" If soon, I might wait on your results before ordering something.

-ave

Hola ave, ;)

Ordered the Moroso unit about 30 mins ago, knowing Summit it'll be on my door by this afternoon.

I'm gunning to have the car up and running for a Hillclimb in Vermont on July 10th and 11th. So hopefully if all goes well I'd be able to get you a sound clip within the next month. Time will tell.

-Ryan

PostPosted: June 10, 2010, 11:35 am 
-the man.

If we're doing sounds, this is about the best I've heard. It's Jack Bankers stalker 2.8. I don't know if maybe a lot has to do with my speakers but I sure Hope I can get this sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ladwVji5g

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: June 10, 2010, 12:37 pm 

217 I'm anxious to hear how yours comes out. As far as 24" OAL being too long, if basing that conclusion on my pictures you should know my chassis is about 4 inches shorter than a book frame, and my long-tube collector comes quite a ways back too. It's going to be very snug but on a book frame+ it should be just fine. - I believe Summit has Full Boar's with a 12" can and 18" overall length too.
I plan to have an elbow for now, but eventually once I get plates on it and running around I plan to take it to a decent muffler shop, cut a mouse-hole in the driver rear fender and have them snake it out the back.

I'll post a clip once I get the last couple flanges and gaskets I need.

--- I'll let you hear mine if you you'll let me hear yours. :wink: :lol:

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: June 10, 2010, 12:55 pm 

Good luck! I will definitely be ineterested in hearing your thoughts on this muffler, both initially and after having run it for a while. I've been somewhat intrigued by the spiral flow design mufflers, espesially for an external side exhaust type exhaust system like the 7's have...Although I unfortunately don't recall seeing anybody offering them in stainless.

I do wonder a bit if the split-spiral style the Moroso Spiral Flow uses offers any performance benefit over the continuous spiral used by the Flo-Pro Twister, or vis versa. Then again I could see where the split style could hamper flow and/or where it could improve noise cancellations, by allowing the spiraling flow to interact with itself.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 9:18 am 

Well, Hempy and I did the same thing with our setup and it's pretty loud.

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 1:21 pm 
Louisville's luckEseven Lauds Locosts

rx7locost wrote:
I was concerned about the "ricer" sound of my "ricer rotary". I ended up with a nice tone. It is a bit loud. Rotarys are notorious for noise. I can't say how your 4 cyl boinger engine would sound.

Hey rx7locost, how do you think 2 of those mufflers would sound as opposed to one and a resonator? I'm definitely concerned with mine being too loud for the wife to enjoy a ride in, and it seems like there'd be room if you made the manifold shorter. I was thinking I could run two of those mufflers with a v-band quick disconnect between them so I could remove the second one for track days and install a 90 degree turnout in it's place.

What do you think? Does a passenger need earplugs to ride in your car? I'm anxious to hear what you think.

*Make way for the luckEseven!

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 4:11 pm 

ER....

Exhaust design was first a guess and then a trade-off. I chose what I did following the "recommended" calculations for header lengths. Then tried to calm things down acoustically. I fit in what I thought I could. I followed the resonator/muffler approach as the factory did with no other reasoning. My resonator is a straight-thru similar to a glass-pack, the muffler is a turbo-style in a round casing ending up right next to the passenger's ears. I really don't expect my wife to be riding too much, so I designed accordingly. I suspect that if she did ride, she would need earplugs. Mine is not a quiet machine. I may end up resorting to adding a transverse muffler across the rear of the car. I have a long way to go before I get to that though.

If my primary concern was noise, I would try fitting a std N/A exhaust maniflold then, maybe a pair of mufflers, keeping the exhaust pipe to a minimum size.

Wish I could provide more definitive info.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 25, 2010, 9:16 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

I just ordered what I think is the same muffler.

JEX-ATT18S-3 Muffler, Turbo Tube, 2 in. Inlet/Outlet, Steel, Aluminized, 24 in. Length, Each $26.95

Let's hope it does better than my cherry bomb in the muffling department. I also sprang for a flex pipe...I've never been comfy with a solid exhaust pipe 6' long hanging off the rock-n-roll end of the engine.

We'll see how it goes. I'll try to shoot some video before/after for comparison.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]