LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hanger Find
PostPosted: November 3, 2013, 2:15 am 

I visited the strangest museum that I've been in. It's in a small town in the Southern Alps on the South Island of New Zealand. I can't begin to describe the contents; 4 large hangers packed with everything from fire engines, army stuff, cars from A-Z. It's like a wealthy hoarder gone wild.

Stuff is packed in as if it's in deep storage. No attempt has been made to provide space between exhibits. For most of the stuff you have to turn sideways to get close to items several rows back. In this case, because a low Triumph was in front of it, a familiar shape caught my eye otherwise I'd never have seen it. A large army truck shielded it on one side, a large car on the other and it was under the wing of a large turboprop.

It's a 7 but a little different. The back end design seems a little harsh. The hard top had quick pins on it for easy removal. Also has a trailer hitch. Don't know how much of a trailer I'd want to tow with that weight of car. Could just see inside, looks like it has an automatic tranny!!!! On the left side of the hood I could see two mesh air cleaners so I don't know what the hood scoop is for.

Lots of unanswered questions including how it came to be hidden away here. Given the narrow twisty roads in this part of the world if it could talk it would probably have a few stories to tell.

Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Hanger Find
PostPosted: November 3, 2013, 6:19 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Looks like the 7 replica named Chevron. I like the hard top. I think the box shaped rear was designed to hang the spare.

PostPosted: November 3, 2013, 7:54 am 

Little tow bars are quite common on cars that are taken racing so you can tow a small trailer with 4 tires a bike, tools, a tent, food anything you might need for a track weekend.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: November 3, 2013, 1:48 pm 

yup a chevron, kit made in Auckland New Zealand. I have one in the shed right now getting re built.
john