LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 29, 2010, 6:00 pm 

I was up at a localish machine shop today to meet the owner and I told him about my project and he said "I have a Lotus over here" and so we went and looked at it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: these pics are from when he bought it, now it is stripped down for restoration/ rebuilding.

PostPosted: April 29, 2010, 10:23 pm 

That is cool. Its amazing how few tubes there are in the frame.....

Thanks for sharing!

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: April 29, 2010, 11:28 pm 

maxlessca wrote:
I was looking at it and thinking the same thing!

Makes you wonder what we all get so worked up about sometimes when we get to arguing about frame strength considering what these really started out with for strength and what they were capable of doing in their time!

Be neat to get some side by side comparisons of the new/old (frame, a-arms...). See just how far we've come in some aspects and what we've forgotten on others!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: April 29, 2010, 11:31 pm 

Here are some pics of the only real 7 I've ever sat in and made the vrooom vrooom sounds. Didn't get a ride in it.

PostPosted: April 29, 2010, 11:36 pm 

When I get mine done and help the owner of the one in the pics get his restored and put back together we'll have a photoshoot at the track :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 30, 2010, 1:54 pm 

Quote:
Makes you wonder what we all get so worked up about sometimes when we get to arguing about frame strength

Agreed, until you look at the size of the tires/wheels and start to realize just how much greater the laterial and longitudunal loads that we are putting into the chassis are. Remember, the early 7's were built when drivers were (race drivers) fat and the tires were skinny.

Even seen a photo of Juan Fangio? That guy was not small by any strech of the imagination and won 5 World Championships. Now he probably wouldn't fit into the transporter for the cars. He certainly would not fit into a modern F1 car. (NASCAR easy, F1 or Indy Car, nope)

PostPosted: May 28, 2010, 6:17 pm 

16vvincent wrote:
Quote:
Makes you wonder what we all get so worked up about sometimes when we get to arguing about frame strength
Agreed, until you look at the size of the tires/wheels and start to realize just how much greater the laterial and longitudunal loads that we are putting into the chassis are. Remember, the early 7's were built when drivers were (race drivers) fat and the tires were skinny.

Also the early 7s didn't have anywhere near the hp that we think we have to have now. Although my 165 hp is -more- than enough!! Especially so when you consider that the early 7s raced here with ~120 hp. And they could beat small block Corvettes on road courses.

I sat in an early RHD 7 once and the bucket seat that someone put in it was so narrow that when I first sat down my butt didn't even touch the bottom of the seat. I had to bounce up and down for awhile till I crammed myself down to the bottom. I weighed about 155# then.

Even seen a photo of Juan Fangio? That guy was not small by any strech of the imagination and won 5 World Championships. Now he probably wouldn't fit into the transporter for the cars. He certainly would not fit into a modern F1 car. (NASCAR easy, F1 or Indy Car, nope)
Fangio: Taxicab driver makes good. :lol:
He is one of the great ones.

Notice that the bonnet opens from either side (piano hinge down the center line). I've never seen one like that before. Must be a customer mod. Also notice that you have to take the nose cone off to check the radiator water level.

PostPosted: May 28, 2010, 7:03 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

maxlessca wrote:

Owners often found out that Colin was seriously scraping the bottom of the design envelope, with cars often cracking in critical places. It was common to add a couple tubes to patch his slightly overzealous weight-savings.

Some of the Lotus race car drivers were scared of his cars, as more than a few physically broke on-track... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/lotusf1/7224561/Lotus-F1-set-for-Formula-One-return-with-the-focus-on-reliability.html

Here's a good one, from Sir Stirling Moss:
Quote:
"The Lotuses I drove were quick, but they did make you a bit nervous at times," said Sir Stirling Moss, who broke both legs and his back at Spa in 1960 after a wheel made an unscheduled departure from his Lotus 18. I remember once they gave me a birthday cake in the shape of a car. I told them to cut off the wheel and give it to [Lotus founder] Colin Chapman. But he didn't laugh: he had no sense of humour about it at all."

About the thin tubes, as was noted above, we now have tires with far more traction than Colin could have imagined for the street. My buddy has an original Seven and I think he said it had about 50 hp or so. With 3-5 times that amount, and the above chassis issues, I think we're doing right by "overbuilding" the chassis, and probably making them about where they need to be.