LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 12, 2019, 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i just need that part
PostPosted: October 24, 2019, 9:22 pm 

i cannot believe that parts are soooo hard to buy!!!
i have a 1994 box van built on a Chevrolet C3500 chassis with a 454 big block engine.
i think i will have a tee shirt made that says i"i don't have it in stock but i can have it tomorrow" just to wear when i am parts shopping.
this engine remained unchanged until 2002 regarding external parts, simple things like a coolant temperature sender or the plugs to connect to it.
it would seem that every auto parts store i visit says the same thing, i had to go to 5 different stores to get what i wanted and as for 20W-50 engine oil well that is almost impossible.

but you say order it on the net, well this is a Chevrolet not a Jaguar or BMW, a Chevrolet that they made thousands of.and the price of the parts, that is about double that Rockauto charge.
i live 65 miles from any parts store so to go back and get it the next day is another 30.00 dollars or more on the price.

you would think that a national chain who brands their own parts could match the price, at least a nominal additional charge but more than double is out of order and they don't even have the part.

today i needed a coolant temp sensor, the plug to connect to it and 6' of vacuum hose, that cost me $57.75, i also needed a plug for the oil pressure switch and two exhaust sealing rings, 6 quarts of cheap oil to flush the engine and 6 quarts of good oil to put back in after flushing,that cost me $131.23, and lastly an other coolant temp switch plug at $8.13 plus the cost of gas to do the 130 mile round trip.
i know, the oil was $60.00 so without the oil it was $137.11 but still expensive and all day to get.

if i were to buy these parts on the net, $72.07 from rockauto including shipping that is almost half the price and no gas.

so why did i not buy them on line, i needed them today, not tomorrow or some time next week especially when the post office don't deliver to any of the 1000 plus houses in my town and i have to pick it up from the post office that doesn't open until 11.00 a.m. and the post doesn't arrive until 3.00p.m. and closes at 5.00 p.m.

these are simple items all listed in the 5 stores in my nearest town for a very common vehicle but no, all they seem to sell is 1000,000 types of car polish!!!!

don't get me started on ignition coils for my Jaguar, from an independent Jaguar supplier 8 coils were $145.00 for all 8, autozone wanted $108.00 each and i have two Jaguars, that would have been north of $1600.00 for a tune up.

hopefully i will be moving to Florida soon as i sell my house, where the parts store is only 20 minutes away and the postman or woman or anything else they identify as delivers to my door.

p.s. both my range rovers, my jaguars and my chevy box truck identify a priuses except when they demand gas.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: October 24, 2019, 11:04 pm 

Well, at least you are not rural AND job hunting, as I am. :(
Castrol still makes 20-50 if you can find a supplier.
Since I keep running into the same issues I try to get my parts ahead of time.
I've actually found it less expensive and even faster to order from the UK than the US Rover parts bandits.
Glad my XK6 does not use multiple ignition coils, and the old Lucas unit will probably last as long as the car.

PostPosted: October 31, 2019, 8:55 pm 

part #14103124 is an exhaust stud, made by ac delco and is a pack of 5, took me 6 hours to track down the part number and i do need all 5 in the pack if i want to fit the plug boot shields to my exhaust manifold.
attempting to buy from any parts store proved unsuccessful as GM is on strike and parts cannot be ordered and of course none had them in stock.
i eventually found them on parts geek under the GM part number for $5.97 plus $9.50 shipping and the picture actually shows 5 so would think that as the ac delco part number is for a pack of 5 and the picture shows 5 then you would think that 5 would come wouldn't you.
ordered on saturday and they arrived today, or should i say IT arrived today, only one in a pack!!!!
i have since found a GM dealer who has them in stock in a pack of 5 for $16.30 and $9.50 shipping, you can only buy them in a pack of 5 which is what that GM part number calls out, there is no part number for one.
i have ordered the pack of 5 from the GM dealer so i will now have to wait another week for them to arrive.

i will be having a word with parts geek tomorrow!!!

this is a mid 90's chevrolet not some obscure part for a motiverdi or spiker its a chevrolet pickup folks.
bare in mind that you can still buy parts from the factory for delorians and i mean every part.

but we in it shall be remembered.