LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2017, 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ford F-250 overhaul
PostPosted: April 19, 2017, 11:51 pm 

Probably newer than most would expect​, but I'm going to be doing a few major repairs on my 2010 F-250 this summer. It's my work truck, and it's led a tough life. It's been basically a bush truck since new, and working in the oil patch is hard on equipment. Most guys doing the same work as me only run their diesel trucks to about 150,000 kms, so I'm way ahead of the curve on that. Mine has the 5.4 gas engine, and currently it has 348,000 kms. Considering the usage, this truck has been amazingly trouble free. Up to now it's only needed oil and filter changes, brake pads, and last fall it got treated to new springs. I was planning to just change the tires, sparkplugs, and a worn tie rod end this set of days off, and figured while I had the plugs out, I'd do a compression test. #8 plug was pretty black, and it only went to 30 psi, so I guess that's where the oil has been going. The rest of the truck is mostly pretty solid though, and I would rather fix this one than buy another, so here we go. I hate car payments, and don't really want to buy someone else's headache for something that has to be reliable in some pretty crappy conditions. This will be my first time getting into anything this new, and the second engine I've put together, so it should be fun. I've ordered a factory service manual dvd and a book on rebuilding Ford's modular engines, and doing as much reading as I can about people rebuilding these engines, so hopefully it goes well. I'm torn between ordering a rebuild kit now so it's here when I'm ready for it, or waiting until after I tear it down and check the condition of the cylinders and bearings. Apparently the bores might still be good enough to avoid boring them out. If anyone here has any experience rebuilding these newer 3 valve engines, I would definitely appreciate any advice. I'm probably going to use a DNJ rebuild kit, OEM phasers, and a Melling high volume oil pump. I'll leave the engine rebuild for later this summer, and look after some of the less time consuming stuff now. I ordered new mud terrain tires at Christmas in preparation for the spring time mud, so I put them on yesterday for a bit of lipstick on the pig. Today was replacing the loose tierod end and checking wheel bearings. The front right was loose and noisy, so I'll pick up a new one tomorrow and replace it. $650 a piece for the unit hub/bearing assembly, ouch. That's from SKF, Ford wanted $950. While I had the Ford parts guy on the phone, I asked what a reman engine from them is worth, just for giggles. $6500 isn't actually that bad, but doing it myself should still be way cheaper. Here's a picture of the beast all covered in mud at work. With all my tools and equipment in it, it weighs about 9500lbs, and gets beat on pretty hard on some pretty bad bush roads.

Here's the kind of roads it mostly sees, and this is during dry weather and good road conditions. Pavement is less than 10% of my driving.

Pulling the hub/bearing unit.

The old tierod end. The threaded part where it's bent is 1.25" solid steel. I went off the road a few years back and hit a stump hard enough that I had to cut the tierod to take it off. I guess the tube wasn't the only thing that got bent.

That's all for now, but this should be interesting. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to do much with the locost this summer.
Kristian

Post subject: Re: Ford F-250 overhaul
PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 7:02 pm 

> $650 a piece for the unit hub/bearing assembly,
> ouch. That's from SKF, Ford wanted $950.

Gee, and I thought bearings for my Mustang were expensive at $12...

Considering the expense, how about looking for some used hubs at the local yard or eBay? They're easy enough to change if one fails in 50K or so.

> rebuild

Ford has many many many variants of the Mod motor. Some cross over at year/model, some by application, some by VIN, and some are apparently random. Even if you give every bit of information to the parts guy, you may still get wrong parts, so don't mung the packaging in case you have to send some of them back.

The most expensive bits are the timing chain and tensioners. Ford has a $1,500 alignment tool you're supposed to use to install everything, but you can find cheap DIY workarounds on the web.

Post subject: Re: Ford F-250 overhaul
PostPosted: April 23, 2017, 8:53 pm 

I hadn't thought of a used hub, but there aren't many junkyards around here anyway. I don't think I'd want to spend the time to pull one anyway, I fought with the snap ring that holds the stub axle in the bearing for most of a day, and ended up improvising with tools because none of the snap ring pliers I tried would fit properly. It would have been even less fun in a junkyard.

I replaced my tie rod end with a greasable Moog unit, but I don't know how good an idea that was. The grease nipple will probably get torn off as soon as I get in some mud, and it looks like I'll have to take the wheel off to grease it anyways, even at full lock. I might just pull it and put a plug in instead.
Kristian