LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently January 16, 2019, 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 11:01 am 

carguy123 wrote:
They already have a twin turbo V6 464 hp/430 torques which is optimized for 6000ish rpm. If they were to tweak that for higher revs, as it sounds like in the video, it would probably have 500ish hp and would be an awesome engine.

I've talked with some GM people and begged them to make a baby vette with that engine and bring the weight in under 3000 lbs and size down to something smaller than the Camaro. The present Vette, while awesome looking, is just WAY too large. I've put down money on the last 2 versions and gone back and cancelled because it's just too damn big.

I agree with you that a smaller, lighter, simpler, American sports car is an actual market need, but it will always be a relatively low-volume vehicle. That appears to be the big issue with GM management - numbers. Costs are critical. It should be something young people (and old retired farts) can afford. The Solitce/Sky was a step in the right direction.

I'm not familiar with this new twin turbo V6. I know they have a killer Indy car engine. Is there any relationship between the two?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 3:49 pm 
Toyotaphobe

The engine has been around since 2014 I think, but in any case several years. I have no idea if it's related to Indy. I do know the LFX & LGX V6 is quite a bit overbuilt for being used in pedestrian cars and you can see it was designed to be a performance engine.

The unturbo'd model is the same engine that's used in almost every model they make which makes it very common and inexpensive. It makes 335 hp in the Camaro & Caddies.

I have 2 cars with that engine and love it

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 11, 2019, 5:48 pm 

@carguy123

Hmmmmm, probably the same V6 we have in Mama'a Caddy CTS, which I like a whole lot.

The Chevrolet Indy V6 is a high-rev'ing (redline 10,500-12,200 depending on boost), twin-turbo for racing developed about 2012. It doesn't have the cylinder block infrastructure for street use, but you could use the design logic in a street version, suitably outfitted and detuned. It's probably not related, though.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886