LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F1 in 2011
PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 5:28 am 

I just caught the F1 rule changes summary for 2011 at Jalopnik (link). Most of the changes seemed like normal the normal F1 mix, but there was one change that felt too contrived (at least to me) to be part of part of the "pinnacle of motorsports".

The problem for me rests with part of how the "driver" controlled rear wing will be used.
Quote:
3.18.2 The adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed a minimum of two laps after the race start or following a safety car period.

The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics (see Article 8.2) that it is enabled. It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit. The system will be disabled by the control electronics the first time the driver uses the brakes after he has activated the system.

The FIA may, after consulting all competitors, adjust the above time proximity in order to ensure the stated purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met.

In essence, this seems to be saying that FIA control will be actively deciding, in the middle of the race, who will benefit from the technology and specifically when (on what part of the race course) they will be allowed to use it.

That feels like an incredibly poorly conceived version push-to-pass. I can't see how this will end well. Unless it is delivered without a human in the decision making process, there will always be questions about fairness & favoritism. I don't like push-to-pass but compared to the proposed F1 solution, PTP seems like a considerably more well thought out solution. At least with PTP, the team & driver need to manage a finite resource and that can be used as part of a racing strategy. My concern is that if WTP (wing-to-pass) is poorly managed it could definitely upset both race and championship results.

Post subject: Re: F1 in 2011
PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 8:27 am 

Relax, this is probably just another regulation that either won't be enforced, enforced sporadically or enforced with no penalty. I love that part of F1. It's all pretty stupid, either let the guy diddle with the angle of the dangle or "lock it down". Personally, I think wings should be removed from all racecars.

Bill

PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 9:13 am 
-the man.

The new engine rules for 2013 (I think) are a stretch. Going from 2.4 V8 to 1.6 4cyl., lowering the rpm from 18K to 12K and not decreasing HP. Also reducing the number of new engines from 8 to 4. I don't think they can improve engine longevity by reducing displacement and rpm while maintaining the hp output. These are NA 4 cylinder motors.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 1:17 pm 

Wouldn't you just love to see the cam profiles that will generate?

Bill

PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 1:27 pm 

The new F1 4cyl engines will be turbocharged in 2013.

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: December 16, 2010, 3:44 pm 

I agree WTP seems too complex for its own good. Why not let them use it X number of times a race, and let the TV viewing public know how many they have left. It adds a level of fairness, and a level of spectacle without adding a level of unfairness.

PostPosted: December 17, 2010, 3:38 am 

BBlue wrote:
Wouldn't you just love to see the cam profiles that will generate?

Bill

Who needs cams? F1 engines use valves that are operated pneumatically.

Oops! Guess the cams are still there, just the springs are missing.

http://stason.org/TULARC/sports/motorsport/23-How-do-pneumatic-valve-return-systems-work.html

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3124