LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 1, 2010, 6:08 pm 

I only refer to my project as a “Locost” when on this blog, otherwise I refer to it as a Lotus 7, or Lotus Super Seven. Cheating you say? I don’t think so. But let me take a step back.
We’ve all been there. The conversation goes something like this… “I hear you are building a car in your garage?”
“yes”
What is it?
“It’s a “Lotus Super Seven- inspired car”
“Oh, cool, so it’s a kit car?”
“Well no, I’m building it from scratch.”’
“But you started with a frame, right?”
“Well, no. Actually, I started with a set of blueprints and bunch of steel tubing”
It is usually at this point that the polite questioner gives you a quizzical look, somewhere between, "your putting me on", to "this guys off his rocker", and they change the subject, or more commonly, wander off to find someone who will talk with them about the last episode of “Lost”.

The idea of a person building their own car from scratch is bizarre in the extreme for most people. But more vexing than any engineering challenge can be deciding what to call it. I’ve tried them all. “Locost” only works with people who know about this cult of shed-builders, so the audience for that term is limited. Besides, I’ve never liked the term, it seems kitschy to me, like people who want to spell “car” with a “k”, as in, “Oh, so it must be a kit-kar.” Call me a snob but the word “locost” diminishes the whole experience in my mind. I’ve tried “Lotus-inspired car”, but that prompts the whole series of kit car questions as well. I’ve tried “scratch-built car”, but “made from scratch” seems to imply cake baking skills more than car building in my suburban circles, so this does not help much either. So, I’ve just settled on calling it a “Lotus” which is a nice compromise. Using the term “Lotus” produces better outcomes as well. People who know next to nothing about cars, and don’t care to, will recognize the Lotus name, raise appreciative eyebrows and simply say “ooh, isn’t that nice” or some similarly gratuitous remark, which is ideal because it usually ends the conversation right there. A modestly interested person might show some genuine interest, and ask which model?, or what year? Which is okay, because in either case it starts the conversation off on a different footing than challenging the provenance of one’s frame.
However, this approach is not bullet proof. My Japanese CEO said… “You call it a Lotus, but it does not have a Lotus engine, what part of it is a Lotus?”
“ That’s true,” I replied sneering inwardly with contempt at his question, [which is the only approved method for sneering at your CEO], I then added… “It’s a Lotus frame design.” Which I made up, but it quieted him down. I didn’t want to get into the fact that most original Lotus 7s came with ford engines, and it wasn’t until years later that Chapman made his own engines.

And what about this business of being a “kit car?” Well, you history buffs don’t need to be reminded that Colin Chapman practically invented the concept with the original 7, sending “knock-down kits” to export markets to avoid paying taxes on automobile imports. By every reliable measure there were many times more Lotus 7s sold as kits than as turn-key cars. Have you ever heard of any owner of an original Lotus 7 refer to his car as a “kit?” I didn’t think so.

So most original 7s were kits, and few had “Lotus” engines, so what makes our cars so very different from the pedigreed cars? Is it the amount of engineering time that goes into its design and manufacture? Is that what makes a Lotus a Lotus? I don’t think so. Multiple biographers have made it clear that Colin Chapman designed the 7 as a necessary commercial enterprise, something to pay the racing bills, but that he quickly grew bored of the car and was disinterested in developing it beyond its original design. I don’t think he spent more than 2 years on it from start to finish. With 6 years on the clock, I have way more time invested in my Lotus 7 than Colin had in his!

And what should we make of all the replica manufacturer’s, the Robin Hoods, Daxs, Donkervorts, and of course the Caterhams. Are these cars any more entitled to the Lotus moniker than my shed-built special? Is a Caterham more of a ”Lotus” than a Coveland? If you are like me, you have your favorites, the manufacturers who “got it right,” or at least “more right,” than those who didn’t. And clearly there are cars that are better built than others. I’d venture to say that a great many of these are better built than the original Lotus7. But do any of these cars deserve to be called a Lotus? No. I don’t think they really do, and of course legally they can’t. I say this because if you manufacture something you need to be at peace with what it is. I think the Donkervort people are quite content to make donkervorts, as well they should be. They are beautifully crafted machines. But answering my own question, I’d fudge a little and say that a Caterham is not a Lotus, but, it is more of a “Lotus” than a Factory Five is a 427 Cobra. That’s for sure.

So then this issue of “provenance” really boils down to a badge on the hood right? Well hang on. Who here looks at a Lotus Cortina and in their heart of hearts really believes the Cortina deserves to wear the green and yellow Lotus badge? Not me, I can assure you. The thing looks like a turd in the punchbowl. But, it is in fact a bona-fide, documented, legitimate Lotus, no less real than Jimmy Clark’s type 23. That’s a harsh bit of reality to swallow. A bit like putting a Maserati trident badge on a Chrysler LeBaron! That kind of sacrilege would never happen… wait what’s that your saying? It actually did happen? Never mind.

I’d contend that my hand-built special is way more Lotus, than the Lotus Cortina, at least spiritually, if not by pedigree. Today the practice of re-badging cars has grown epidemic. I don’t think there is a car company that does not engage in it. So if that’s that case, if a car company can say this Korean car is a Chevy, simply because I choose to call it a Chevy, then all bets are off. Provenance means nothing, or more accurately it means what you want it to mean.

Here’s my ultimate justification. Instead of asking Jesus what he would do, I asked Colin Chapman what he would do. The other night I had a dream, I was hosting a dinner party, and I have invited some of my favorite automotive historical figures, Nikolaus Otto was seated next to Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, chatting away in German. Raymond Lowey was talking streamlining techniques with Zora Arkus-Duntov, and so on. After the guests have all gone Chapman was the last to depart. Putting on his scarf and tweed cap, I walk him through the garage out to his car. We stopped and chatted about my project. He was amazed to learn that a cult of Lotus 7 devotees actually builds these cars in their garages all over the world as part homage, and part obsession, with little more than a book and each other for inspiration. I ask him if he thinks it’s cheating to call it a “Lotus”. He pauses, then wordlessly walks out to his own car, does something to the hood, and a moment later he flips me what looks like a silver dollar through the darkness. I catch the familiar enameled badge with its green and yellow logo, and he says. “Put it on. You’ve earned it.”
So it’s a Lotus.

PostPosted: June 1, 2010, 7:59 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Baldguy-
Wonderful essay, and I agree with pretty much everything you said.

However, that whole "conversation with Colin" in your "dream sequence".... Dude, are you maybe sniffing the laquer thinner again???

In my case, it really doesn't matter what I call the car I'm building, because that bunch of whack-noodles I race with in Dixie Region SCCA has christened it a "Slotus" (Pronounced "SLOW-tus") and no matter what I tell them to call it, or how much I argue, Slotus it seems to be. Oh well... At least they're not ignoring me!

:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 1, 2010, 8:08 pm 
The voice of reason

When the Slotus starts to get FTD trophies, you might not mind the name so much anymore! :cheers:

Baldguy, I think you should say your building a Super Seven from scratch. If someone wants to go and count rivets on it, say you modified it for extra power and traction. No reason to hedge at all. The lotus engines were just ford xflows with their own cylinder heads (chain drive). If your CEO doesn't look impressed tell him your saving up for a "beltdrive". That's a Ford xflow with a Cosworth head ( BDA ). Also mention you need a raise!

Colin was notorious for a pats dept. full of stuff scavenged off everything available with wheels. They really tried to avoid custom stuff when possible.

PostPosted: June 1, 2010, 9:30 pm 

As one builder said, "It's a kit car without the kit!"

PostPosted: June 1, 2010, 10:39 pm 

Well done, enjoyed the read. How about Lotus Super Seven I? As in Improved.

Geoff

PostPosted: June 1, 2010, 11:05 pm 

"So, like a kit"

"Nope - I bought a book of plans and a couple hundred feet of steel and had at 'er."

I call it a "Replica of a Lotus Super Seven." "Locost" is too much of a "cult" term.

PostPosted: June 1, 2010, 11:31 pm 

You should have informed your CEO that period Lotus engines are utter crap compared to the engines available now. Nothing wrong with embracing the good of technological advances while shedding the bad. (that came with more rigorous emissions and safety requirements)

When I got the utterly clueless "what the hell kind of car is that?" question I answered: "It's a 1969 Lotus Seven."
That's not really a lie, it is the "kind" of car it is and is pretty much the answer the person posing the question is after. End of conversation.

When around other car enthusiasts I might be asked, "what kind of kit is that?" to which I would answer: "It's not a kit, it's a Lotus 7 replica I built in my garage, frame up. Most all of the mechanical bits I sourced from the same totalled Miata. The niche group of wackos that build these things call them a Locost, a term coined by Ron Champion, the author of a book that gave instructions on how to build one from a British Ford." Usually the conversation went on and on from there with me showing build pictures on my cell phone or digging the little 5x7 photo album out of the "glovebox" and showing pics of the car in various stages of completion. I can't tell you how rewarding it was when people would look at the pics of my tacked together frame and say, "Damn! You really did build this thing from scratch."

So I guess the answer I gave about my car depended a lot on the person asking. If I thought they were the type of person who "got it" they would get the whole truth. If it was just some big boobied blond at the gas station she got the abbreviated albiet less truthful response. (since I'm married and all :wink: )

Edit: and to all you guys who don't like to call it a Locost. At some point you gotta pay homage to the guy who blazed this path for us. If not for good ol Uncle Ron we would likely not be building these things. We might have ended up building Mallock replicas or something equally silly. ( :P GR)
Besides, if you want to learn how to build one of these things you need to know the term. Try Googling for info on building one without using the term and you will have a much harder time finding the information you seek. The term is necessary and IMHO actually defines the spirit of the car. I don't see it as a negative, but a positive. I'm much more impressed by someone who built a Locost than someone who put together a kit. It's not some sort of automotive herpes that you have to hide or be ashamed of. I'm proud to say name is Chet (insert any name here- but not until you've built a car) and I built a Locost. This site has lots of members but how many can say that?

PostPosted: June 1, 2010, 11:35 pm 

Baldguy I also have a dislike for the term "Locost" and simply never use it. As far as I am concerned it is a Lotus Seven, sometimes with the word replica tacked on although there are probably more non Lotus Sevens, aka replica, around the world than proper ones, so it has become a more generic type term. They were even built here in New Zealand for period of time, officially that is.
Bruce

PostPosted: June 2, 2010, 12:08 am 

Thanks for the essay baldguy, which echoes a lot of my similar experiences. For me, it's even worse because my design is mid-engined so calling it a Lotus 7 replica is pretty far off the mark (and I dislike calling Locosts that too). The term commonly used in the car community here is Clubman (and also see this link or this one) although calling it that then often causes confusion with the Mini Clubman :( I've resorted to describing it as "a race car with number plates" more than once :roll:

At the end of the day however, it'll be all mine, all built by me, and I can call it anything I want :)

Dominic

PostPosted: June 2, 2010, 2:38 am 

well said. i second the notion that the name is dependent on how much of a car guy (or girl if you ever find one) the person is. if its what i call a civilian, which is a 'i like cars' type that doesnt know a camero is same as a firebird or eclipse is a talon and couldnt drive a manual transmission to save a life. or the backyard mechanic type that can change their own oil or brakes but not much real understanding of cylinder squash volume or bump steer or more than remove and replace knowledge, although we all started here to get to where we are now in fairness. or the more understanding, and usually older although i know i'm not the youngest at 28 so not always, DIY'er type that understands welding isnt just for TV stars making choppers and that building something with your own 2 hands is worth more than the fastest time slip or biggest price tag.
ok :rant:
it does help me that i live in farm country where a welder is more common in most garages and barns here than a push mower.

as for nomenclature i like the term 'LoCost'. my main goal is cheapest speed i can get without risking life and limb completely so it embodies that spirit to me. but it is a cult term that i rarely speak as i'd have to explain it all. otherwise if its a type one person i concede its a kit car and dont explain or if i'm feeling lazy with a type 2 person i do the same. often times i'll tell them its like the british equivalant to a the old shelby AC cobra roadster. a lotus super seven isn't very understood or known around here but every good old boy here knows the old cobra roadster. and i think its fair to call it a Lotus. even a middy. as i understood it lotus was to be based in the less is more principal and most of us have that here. some to more of an extent than others but my goal is to cut 50% weight from donor car weight but still try and keep a heater and cloth top. not too extreme but a major improvement from most "sports" cars that are ever closer to 4000lbcurb weights or otherwise cost more than a house.

just my .02 cents

mitsu 4g63 powered 442e - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7317&start=0

PostPosted: June 2, 2010, 7:18 am 

You guys should try to explain to someone that you are building a reverse trike.

Quote:
wander off to find someone who will talk with them about the last episode of “Lost”.
That rings so true.

PostPosted: June 2, 2010, 8:24 am 

camAro......

PostPosted: June 2, 2010, 10:51 am 

a reverse trike that you sit in and not just a harley with 2 front wheels isnt something i would want to explain. i'm sure you get a lot of my brother's mother's cousin's friend said this and that about trikes. all of which is typically way off base.

and i knew camaro wasnt camero but neither way looked right when i was typing last night. just started going to back the gym. i think i was still catching my breathe from being on the treadmill. this is my secrect weapon to keep the locost's curb weight w/ driver under 2000lbs :lol:

mitsu 4g63 powered 442e - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7317&start=0

PostPosted: June 2, 2010, 2:17 pm 

I don't see anything wrong with calling my car a Locost. The problem is that a majority of people just haven't heard the term "Locost" (including most gear heads) and it adds to the confusion of what it is. Unless you are at a car show etc most people haven't encountered someone who could actually build a car from scratch. It seems that in most cases they then assume it's a kit car with a strange name.

I usually tell people, "It's a replica of a 1963 Lotus7 race car."

That makes more sense to most people and we can go from there depending upon their reaction.

PostPosted: June 2, 2010, 2:25 pm 

Thanks baldguy for posting a topic that brings a smile to everyone's face that's "been there".

I pretty much give the same answer as SkinnyG, "Lotus Seven replica" and then answer the inevitable kit question with the "No, 200' of tube...." answer. But as others have said, a lot depends on the person doing the asking.

I was getting to the point where I thought that I'd pretty much heard all the variations of the kit car question so this guy who walked up with his girlfriend and knowingly said "So you built this using a VW pan?" kind of left me speechless. "What makes you think that?" I said. "I can tell from from the large tunnel that goes down the center" he said proudly. :roll: "Well no" I said, "VW's didn't have a space frame like this" and I pointed to the exposed tubes. At this point I decided to start the engine with its' loud exhaust which pretty much ends quiet conversations. This didn't seem like a conversation that had any future.

Ron, Lotus 7 replica builder, the car that puts a big smile on your face and most everyone elses