LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost Texan...I got bit.
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 1:11 am 
Professor of Composites

Hello, let me start by explaining that I have wanted to build something from scratch for as long as my little heart can remember. I started with the planning of a Diablo, but the price of parts, and fabrication materials, was too much for me. I began looking at other ideas, then it hit me, I remembered a little sprinter that my High School shop teacher built...but couldnt remember the name. Then I stumbled across Mcforleys design...and almost left the house in search of a donor. I am in the planning stages of a 442, the only real reason is my height, 6'2", long legs. I only chose this because from what Ive read I will not fit into a book chassis(length wise). The only thing I can not seem to figure out in my planning is the right donor to use. I have been researching this for about 5 months, but I still can not make up my mind which is best. I have some experience with welding, definitely no pro. And Im extremely good with composites(fiberglass and carbon fiber). Again, just thought I would say that I got bit the the locost bug. Hope to see ya around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 2:22 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Welcome aboard LostTexan
By your location in your profile I would say you are a bit lost.

If you are new.....
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1030

The donors of people here range from very mild to very wild....v8s, supercharger/turboed v6s, bike engines, rotaries, four bangers, maybe a turbo three cylinger or diesel in the works ....
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1086

Too Tall?
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1083

Lots of reading...Welcome aboard (again)

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 9:34 am 

Welcome to the LocostUSA gang. As for what is the perfect donor I'm not sure what to tell you. That depends on things like your budget, your plans for the car, (autocross, track days or just a cruiser) and your ability to fabricate and make things work together in places they weren't meant to.

The perfect donor for me turned out to be the Miata. It is small, (easy to tear down in my small garage) relatively new, (not some 20 year old rust bucket) and has a relatively well documented history as a Locost donor. I didn't want to be the first person to do anything, I wanted something that would be relatively easy. The only think on the Miata that leaves people scratching their heads is how to properly set up the independent rear suspension and how to deal with the power plant frame (PPF) that holds the diff to the tranny. Some say using a solid rear axle simplifies the build and I imagine it would. Some people will combine parts from different cars to suit their needs. For example there are builders using an S2000 drivetrain and Miata suspension and others using a Miata drivetrain with and RX7 SRA rear end, etc.

Just don't get in too big a hurry. A slow well thought out and planned approach will minimize frustration and increase the likelihood of a completed build. We see lots of enthusiastic folks who show up and burn bright but burn out fast. I'm on the "slow burn" plan. I do a little here and there but I don't make it "work" for myself and I don't feel guilty if I am laying on the couch watching a ball game when I could be working on the car. I'll get it finished when I get around to it. Don't let it put pressure on you. Be realistic with your goals and you should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 9:56 am 

Welcome Lost Texan!

As one of the people who has been recently bitten, I feel the same way you do. I just want to start something. I'm trying to do what chetcpo and mr. peabody advise. Plan-research-plan somemore-research.

Welcome aboard, you will like it here everyone is very helpful and encouraging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 11:49 am 
Professor of Composites

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am going to plan it out, probably wont start to even look for a donor for quite some time. I read the beginners post, and the 442 seems better for me in terms of size because I played with an 86 MR2 in the SCCA SOLO1 events, now, I just want something to drive, in style. Ive been leaning towards either a MR2 donor (cause I have tons of parts in Texas that my family could ship to me) or a 79 2.3l turbo Ford Mustang, as I have a wrecked one in Texas as well. Like i said ill be planning for a while, studyin pictures, and reading others buildup pages. Im lost because I was born in Texas, lived in Del City, OK for seven years, lived in the Philippines for two years, Moved back to Texas for 5 more years, now im in PA, came up here for college. So, yea, Im lost.
Youll be seein me around alot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 12:59 pm 

Where in PA are you Lost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 1:26 pm 

LostTexan wrote:
Del City, OK for seven years

That is minutes from me, I live @ I-240 and Sooner road just south of the base.

You in the AF or a military dependant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 10:30 pm 
Although I didn't use a Miata donor (I didn't really use any donor, just the parts I liked from several donors and about a jillion dollars' worth of new, high-end parts), I think it's probably the one you can use the most bits of in a build. It probably turns out the most user-friendly all-around sports car with the minimum of outside (i.e. additional) sourcing of parts. An, there are a lot of incredible Miata-build resources here in this forum (especially, but not limited to, Keith, who did indeed write the book)... :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 11:17 pm 
Professor of Composites

Quote:

Bradford, about 15 minutes south of Olean NY.

Quote:
You in the AF or a military dependant?

Military dependent, my dad was in the air force, retired at Tinker AFB. My older brother still lives in Del city, hes into the offroad scene(76 Bronco Explorer).

Quote:
I think it's probably the one you can use the most bits of in a build

Even with the widened chassis, as far as steering rack and rear end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26, 2006, 7:56 am 

LostTexan wrote:
Quote:

Bradford, about 15 minutes south of Olean NY.

really? I grew up in Allegany! haha Small world!

I'm in Corning NY right now... about 1.5 hrs from Allegany. There is another locoster in Binghamton NY another 1.5 hrs east and another in Buffalo.

I'm really suprized that there are this many in the area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 1:19 am 
Professor of Composites

Im glad there are so many around here, makes it easier to find answers for my endless questions. Are there any meets in this area?

Off Topic>>Also, anyone doing a middy, Ive got a FWD Ford Festiva that runs great, frame is falling apart. Not real sure on the wheel base, but has got to be close to a Miata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 1:58 am 
In another life I did consulting and worked twice in Houston, twice in the Philly area and did some work at Corning Glass in Corning, also OK City. I started planning a 2.3 turbo but was drawn to the dark side. :lol:

Best is to determine what use you want (monster or put around town), then a realistic budget (double and add 100%), then start looking realizing that as you plan you will face scope drift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 2:18 am 
Professor of Composites

I want something thats a little quick, but considering most of the roads and expressways in the area are only 55mph, and it probably wont see a track for high speed, probably am leaning towards a 4 banger. But that all depends when the chassis is 80% done(as far as fitment), and what kind of deal I can get at the salvage yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 9:06 am 

The Festiva you mentioned has what, about 50hp? If a middy is what you want then pick up a first gen neon with a manual tranny and you could have nearly an extra hundred HP. Those cars are dirt cheap and plentiful, parts are cheap, and there is an aftermarket for go fast parts. If I were doing a middy, I would look for one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2006, 10:04 am 

LT there are some meets, in the area... Arround the Rochester and Watkins Glen area. The group is http://www.lotusowners.com/ There are not any Locost meets that i know of. However i will be attending the Carlisle Pa show of Kit cars, may 18-20th. There are generally a few Locosts, or atleast that is what i hear.

I "personally" would not bother with the Festiva powerplant. If i wanted a small and midengine setup i would be looking into Honda powerplants. I know that you can get a B16 engine and tranny for arround $1000. That is 1.6l and 160hp. That would move a 1000lb Locost very nicely. There is a section on here for "non triditional" locosts. I would read there if you are looking into this. There are a good amount of Auto-x within 1.5-2 hrs from you. Buffalo, Erie, Corning. There are also regions in Binghamton, Rochester. I tend to stay in Corning region (Glen as i'm the solo chairman) and i try to hit Rochester and Binghamton regions. And also WGI that i will be hitting at least once a year with the locost.

I would try to decide on which powerplant to use before you start the frame. You don't want to rebuild the frame if you change your mind on a engine. I'm going to be using the GM L67 (3800 Supercharged) and i can get the engine with arround 50K miles for arround $500! So it would not fit into a frame built for 4 cyl.

Good luck!