LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 17, 2024, 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 16, 2013, 7:12 pm 

Hi all,

This is my 87 Supra, I thought I would share and introduce my self. It is my second Supra and my favorite so far! I bought it about three - four years ago. It started life as a non-turbo automatic car, by some chance I sold the wheels that came off it and bought the first 1UZ-FE. A few months later the head gasket blew, so I (with help from a friend) put the 1UZ in and got it running! The V8 fits in the engine bay like a glove, after putting that engine in I almost don't want to mess with the I6 engines, at least in a Supra. It has come a long way since I bought the car, and I have future plans for it but this stage of the cars life is almost done.

This is how it was when I bought it:

This is it today:

I have put almost 30k miles on it since I put the 1UZ in, I have loved every second. Currently I have the interior mostly out. I found a leak from the heater core, so out came the interior and all the sound deading. I have replaced it all with Dynamat and I really like the stuff.

After the car is back together, I'm going to put in the AEM EMS in and then these:

1987 Toyota Supra - NA Hard Top - 1UZ-FE In, Hit the 25,000+ Mile Mark - ITBs, AEM, and a V8 Burble
- http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92849

PostPosted: January 16, 2013, 10:03 pm 

Nice! I've owned more than a few MKIII's and I'm going to be helping a guy with a W58 swap into his SC400. When is your locost build starting? :cg:

PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 1:11 am 

My dd is an sc400 with k&n intake and magnflow exaust, its a great car

PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 8:53 am 

Glen wrote:
Nice! I've owned more than a few MKIII's and I'm going to be helping a guy with a W58 swap into his SC400. When is your locost build starting? :cg:

Thanks, I really like the comfort of the MKIII, I would love to have one right off the lot.

I ran a W58 with the quantum-auto kit for about 22K miles. It was a great gearbox paired with the 1UZ and installation was easy by my self. Now I have the R154 in, its good, but its a pig. I'm using the TV8.com kit with a ACT clutch.

One word of advice, stay away from the Howe throwout bearing, I blew four or five of them before I swtiched to the Quarter Master. Each time it blew the trans had to be removed...

I'm hoping to start the Locost build in the next couple months. I just moved into a new garage and now I have the space to do a build like this. I have been drafting ideas in auto cad about frames for the past few months, I looked into all sorts of stuff, but after I came across the Locost by chance I knew it was somthing I needed to look into.

wayne-o wrote:
My dd is an sc400 with k&n intake and magnflow exaust, its a great car

Yea, I have never drove a SC400, but I know a couple of people who have them and they say they are great too.

Some more photos:

Both trans:

W58 with the QA kit:

R154 with the TV8 kit:

The only down side was to fit the throwout bearing the front bearing plate needed to be modified:

The exhaust fit both the trans other than the R154 crossmember, a rolled edge/lip hit the pipe, so a tap of the hammer solved that issue:

Here is a video of the exhaust note:

1987 Toyota Supra - NA Hard Top - 1UZ-FE In, Hit the 25,000+ Mile Mark - ITBs, AEM, and a V8 Burble

PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 4:02 pm 

wow! that sounds pure sex!

Now, i have put my 4AGE 20v in my Locost, and soon to be doing Mercedes Diesel swap in my Land Rover Discovery, I will have a perfectly good 4.0 Aluminum Rover V8,.... and an AE86 chassis......hmmmm :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 10:11 pm 

Nice wagoneer behind the supra in that first pic! Love the

PostPosted: January 18, 2013, 8:26 am 

toyotus wrote:
wow! that sounds pure sex!

Now, i have put my 4AGE 20v in my Locost, and soon to be doing Mercedes Diesel swap in my Land Rover Discovery, I will have a perfectly good 4.0 Aluminum Rover V8,.... and an AE86 chassis......hmmmm :mrgreen:

Thanks! I didnt know what to expect when putting that exhaust on the V8, but I love the sound.

Wow, I know the guy from QA who put a 1UZ in his AE86 was running 12's down the 1/4 mile, a light frame and big engine, its a good combo! :mrgreen:

Nick1224 wrote:
Nice wagoneer behind the supra in that first pic! Love the

Well, that one wasnt so nice haha. That photo was taken at my friends farm who helped me do the swap.