LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 4:01 pm 

1055 wrote:
I've been contemplating a school bus, or 17' box truck, and ripping the walls off the box truck and using it as a flat bed. Not too practical for anything else than, but I wouldn't have to worry about a trailer.
Get a Crew Cab version of the box truck and you'd be set for extra room for gear or to stretch out in!

Used Penske Trucks can be had for dirt cheap around here!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 5:27 pm 

If you do get the 6.9 idi ford with manual make sure the firewall has been reinforced. There were 2 kits as I recall from ford for the repair. Without it what happens is you step on the clutch pedal and instead of sending fluid to the slave cylinder you just move the clutch master and firewall forward first. I found that out when mine was acting up back in the 90s. The other thing I highly recommend is making an insulated shield to go on the front side of the fuel filter on the engine and it doesn't hurt to run your heater hoses around the filter too to help keep it warm. I did both those things as I had jelling problems in winter and that was with additive. Oh and if you have a dually make sure your wheels are all the same style as there were more than one type of rim and they won't work with each other. Mixing them will cause them to come loose going down the road. Don't take this as me bashing the ford I have owned or used daily a 6.9 a 7.3 and the 6.0 .The 6.0 has some problems with the egr cooler and with the movable vanes in the turbo if you don't accelerate hard regularly giving them a chance to move. I don't think you'd go wrong with a 6.9 or 7.3. I also liked the 6.0 once the problems were solved. Hope that helps. Joe

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 5:49 pm 

factorypartsjoe wrote:
If you do get the 6.9 idi ford with manual make sure the firewall has been reinforced. There were 2 kits as I recall from ford for the repair. Without it what happens is you step on the clutch pedal and instead of sending fluid to the slave cylinder you just move the clutch master and firewall forward first. I found that out when mine was acting up back in the 90s. The other thing I highly recommend is making an insulated shield to go on the front side of the fuel filter on the engine and it doesn't hurt to run your heater hoses around the filter too to help keep it warm. I did both those things as I had jelling problems in winter and that was with additive. Oh and if you have a dually make sure your wheels are all the same style as there were more than one type of rim and they won't work with each other. Mixing them will cause them to come loose going down the road. Don't take this as me bashing the ford I have owned or used daily a 6.9 a 7.3 and the 6.0 .The 6.0 has some problems with the egr cooler and with the movable vanes in the turbo if you don't accelerate hard regularly giving them a chance to move. I don't think you'd go wrong with a 6.9 or 7.3. I also liked the 6.0 once the problems were solved. Hope that helps. Joe

From the amount of body off 6.0 "bulletproofing" jobs I've done.. I can tell you that i'll never even consider a ford past the 7.3. by far one of the best diesel engines ever made. They all have their issues, some just have much fewer than others. 6.0s were EGR cooler/headgaskets, the successor after the 6.0 was oiling issues, the 6.6 duramax had weak oil pumps, after 100k miles they'd only make 5-6psi at idle. Aside from the drive gear for the mechanical fuel pump on the 5.9 cummins, I cant think of anything that routinely went majorly awry with them.

I've been hunting for a crew cab box truck now. something like a c5500, or the equivalent. I wish I could find a 7.3 manual for 4k! Maybe its just CT, but lifted diesel "brodozers" are all the rage now, causing them to spike drastically in price. the 2004-2009 5.9 manual 4x4 cummins trucks are still holding steady in the 20k + range.

I may consider a 460 F350, but would prefer a 454 chevy, or an 8.0 dodge. I don't trust any of their automatics all too well, particularly the dodge, but manual gearboxes are hard to find.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 11:16 pm 

It's my side of the country but a cheap plane ticket and a looooong drive might be worth it.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5386696852.html
Quote:
1988 ford e 350 diesel dually , runs great new tires,just replaced injectors, all the lights work even in all the compartments.clean no dents, clean paint... Tow hitch, no leaks..$5000. Or best offer, great camping rig, fits motorcycles and stays cool in the heat.650-892-4767

1988 ford e350 van / ambulance

condition: excellent
fuel: diesel
odometer: 66000
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: van

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 11:18 pm 

I literally just came across an ambulance here! [PooPoo] that may be perfect!

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 15, 2016, 11:21 pm 

Or this one? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5404423321.html
Quote:
1994 ford f250
fuel: diesel
odometer: 170000
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
1994 ford f250 extra cab 7.3 turbo diesel automatic transmission 170 k original miles runs and drives great.. has power windows and locks cold a/c and heater just put 4 new tires.. very well taken care of very clean inside and out never abused. Has current registration call 530 844 3535

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 19, 2016, 12:14 pm 

1055 wrote:
I literally just came across an ambulance here! [PooPoo] that may be perfect!
I drove an ambulance for several years and always thought they'd make a great conversion platform!

The other one I have been stuck on is old "Frito-Lay" delivery trucks. My advertising buddy just got one he found in a field (yeah, he drove it away) for $1500. The dimensions look great, but I'll have to get my car back to gether to confirm if it'll work.

Here are the interior dims for it. I think this was a bread truck version as it has dual folding rear doors. One set opens for ease and a second fold can be opened for loading. Perfect for car oriented things!!

Just don't know how close the side walls would be. The wheel arches only intrude a few inches vertically and it'd be easy to ramp over them and use the under for storage or lighting!!

K "frito" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: January 19, 2016, 2:06 pm 

Well you seen mine in my new ride thread. The largest thing I have now is a old starcraft aluminum boat that wont take much to tow, and a dirt bike. My jeep and 18 foot four winn boat is gone now so no need for such a large truck any more along with a few other very good reasons. So for sale it is.

PostPosted: January 25, 2016, 1:54 pm 

So, vettecedes is finally gone. finally.

I inquired with a gentleman about his 136k mile 97 Ram 1500 318/5 speed truck last week. Its a 4x4, 6ft bed and he had no pictures in his ad so I assumed it was an extended cab, being that it had a 6ft bed. Well, I showed up and it was a regular cab/6ft bed. Not a deal breaker, but I can't put a car seat in a regular cab.. well I could if I had to, but would prefer not to.

Fast forward to today, he texted me this morning and told me he would cut me a stupid deal on the truck as he desperately needs the cash. he was only asking $2k before, so I'm going to swing by on the way home from work and see what kind of ridiculous deal he's offering. I told him it would have to be stupendous for me to ignore the regular cab issue.

Otherwise, there is a 2wd, 460, crew cab, 5 speed 130k DRW F350 for sale two towns over that may be what I'm looking for.

So.. we shall see.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 25, 2016, 2:17 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Eh... even if it was free, would you still take a standard cab. I think the lack of storage and/or backseat space will drive you nuts.

PostPosted: January 25, 2016, 2:41 pm 

Realistically, all I need is something to pull a trailer. Between my Baja, and TWWTFM's pathfinder, we have plenty of "storage space" vehicles.

I've been on the hunt for a 97+ Silverado/sierra extended cab. they tend to be the cheapest around these parts, but also the most prone to rot. It seems like every one is either immaculate, and the owner wants 5k+ for a 240k mile truck, or is rotted to hell and they want $1k.

I came to the conclusion that I wont touch a gas ford. I don't have it in me. the 5.4 is junk and the 4.6 is anemic.

we'll see what he says tonight, but the hunt continues.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 26, 2016, 2:22 am 

1055 wrote:
I came to the conclusion that I wont touch a gas ford. I don't have it in me. the 5.4 is junk

Don't say that around my truck, it might take offense. 2010 F250 with a 5.4 that's loaded to the gills with tools and parts, last time I went across the scales it was 9700lbs with just me in it. It's been an oil patch work truck since day one on all kinds of bush roads at near highway speeds, and has a bit over 315k kms now with nothing but oil changes. They even fixed the self destructing spark plugs for 2009 or 2010, but apparently regular oil changes are key to keeping the cam phasers from screwing up. It does like lots of fuel though.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 9:45 am 

let me rephrase - The 5.4 in my price range is junk :lol:

timing chain issues, spark plugs launching themselves out of the heads.. or into the heads.. oil pump issues from self destructing timing chain guides..

bleh.

I think the only gas fords I'd entertain the idea of owning are a 460/390.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 3:10 pm 

Get the Dodge cheap and put a camper shell on it and call it a day. I'm a Ford fan and have close to a quarter million miles on most of them but the best vehicle in the world is the one keeping me from walking at the moment.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: January 27, 2016, 4:35 pm 

Her in doors has a Scania 26ton horsebox littered with lockers and storage compartments for the nags. Now with some careful modifications a couple of race cars could stack in the back, I may lose some bodyparts doing it but ............ :)

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave