LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 10:52 pm 

Hi all,

Do you know any good reference book for super 7 build? I already have the British published "Build your own sports car for as little as 250 pounds and race it" by Ron Champion. I am wondering if there is anything better out there.

I want to have the information about standard frame dimensions. Do you guys try to build "standard frame" or you usually improvise? I understand you will have to re-design a little bit to make the engine and transmission fit.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: July 19, 2016, 4:23 pm 

Everyone's different. For the first ten years or so most builds were book frames. Then Champion Cars came along and made IRS frames. Then Jim McSorley came along and posted plans for larger frames. Haynes Publishing also came up with their own slightly larger design, and put out a book by builder Chris Gibbs. As time goes on. more and more variants appear, and a lot of designs are nothing like the original Locost. So you have lots of choices. I think most people in the U.S. now tend to opt for the larger McSorley frames, or the Haynes, but I prefer the tried-and-true book frame myself. The McSorley website has detailed plans for the book frame, a great resource. As are the build logs here.

PostPosted: July 19, 2016, 5:32 pm 

Personally, I also like Keith Tanner's book "How to build a cheap sports car". I bought one a few years ago, when they were available everywhere, and quite cheap. Now, they've gone the way of Champion's book...rare, and breathtakingly expensive! Amazon has used ones from $95USD, and a lot of other places have them for $250 and up. That's a lot of money for a paperback, but it IS extremely good, with a lot of stuff that the original Champion book simply omitted. It would be an excellent choice, IMHO. Keep an eye out at used bookstores - you may find one cheap... :cheers:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: July 19, 2016, 6:19 pm 

All the books mentioned thus far are good. The most easily (Cheaply?) obtained one at this time seems to be the Haynes book by Chris Gibbs. Keith Tanners book is excellent, I have one, but it contains nothing about building your frame. Keith bought a CMC kit, and the book is about the completion of it along with some tips on sorting it out after the build. So keep your Champion book, get the Tanner book only if you can find one cheap somewhere, but DO get the Gibbs book. Jim McSorely's plans are available from his website. For everything else you'll find that your best source of info is right here on this forum.

PostPosted: July 19, 2016, 6:25 pm 

I would highly recommend Jim McSorely's plans for your frame - they're sized more appropriately for full-sized North American folks (the Champion "book" plans are simply too small for me - I'm 6'2" & 210 lbs., and I have major difficulties getting into a "book"-framed car). While that might not seem like such a big deal, it is when you're trying to fit all the stuff you need to into a limited space (we're talking "building a ship in a bottle", here!). If you have a little extra room, it's more forgiving when you inadvertently forget something & go to add it later...only to find out there's just not enough room to do so.

PostPosted: July 23, 2016, 3:09 pm 

Last I looked, Keith Tanner's web site had pretty much all of the content of his book.
http://www.cheapsportscar.net
I bought the book after I read the site, and its handy to reference and show people what you are working on. If you can't find one to buy though check his site to see what you get (and more) from the book.

You can't beat a a book for a bunch of info in one place for you to flip through, but honestly this site has all of the info you'll need, and and you'll be back here again and again no matter how many books you pick up. For me the books I have are mostly used for me to take to work or other people's houses to show what I'm working on at home. I'll assume most of the younger world just does this on their phones.

Sam

PostPosted: July 28, 2016, 9:01 am 

S27sam wrote:
...but honestly this site has all of the info you'll need, and and you'll be back here again and again no matter how many books you pick up. Sam

^+1

Besides that, I don't know of any book where you can ask it a question and get 7 different answers; let alone post progress photos and brag a little. :mrgreen: Seriously, the knowledge here and the willingness to share without condemnation is rare on many websites today.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 28, 2016, 12:21 pm 

^^^Yup! And I, for one, appreciate the chance to show off my mistakes...uh, revelations...for the good of the group! People here are truly innovative, and come up with solutions to problems that are sometimes sheer genius - a great help for the rest of us! :cheers:

PostPosted: July 28, 2016, 1:05 pm 

Midlana and Car 9 are two more recent additions, which are likely both very good, depending what your looking for.

PostPosted: July 28, 2016, 1:28 pm 

Welcome
Please read
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1030

Build log http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12374
Completed build showcase http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16865