LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the next step
PostPosted: September 24, 2016, 4:46 pm 

So you finished your 7? Move on to the next step - a pickup truck!

http://smclassiccars.com/other-makes/11 ... mouth.html

Search "Powell pickup" and find pictures of some in better shape; this photo set is interesting because it shows the truck is made mostly from single-curvature bent metal. The nose is fiberglass. I haven't found a site that says how the roof was made; it's either fiberglass or domed steel. All the glass is flat. Door hinges are external, the split hood is held down with Jeep latches.

It's a 1950s design contemporary with the 7, so lacked a heater, had simple slider door latches, and apparently no door gaskets or fender lips. But it had optional hubcaps and some really cool optional storage bins...

Looks like, if you can bend a 7 hood and make a nose cone, you'd have all the skills to make a pickup truck like the Powell...

Post subject: Re: the next step
PostPosted: September 24, 2016, 6:40 pm 

Or a Land Rover ...

PostPosted: September 24, 2016, 8:42 pm 

The original Land Rover actually had compound curved panels for the front fenders. But it had a Jeep-style flat grille and no roof, so it comes out the same as the Powell overall.

Besides styling, compound curves avoid "drumming" noises which can happen with flat panels.

PostPosted: September 28, 2016, 11:52 am 

I think if I were building a truck is rather build something like this. No curves at all really. 3000lbs, 18" suspension travel, ~ 400hp. It's not a kit though, just my brother's solid axle swap For Ranger that kinda snowballed just a little bit.

Kristian

PostPosted: September 28, 2016, 12:36 pm 
We are Slotus!

Oddly enough, I've been daydreaming about a pickup-based build. Kinda the polar opposite of what Kristian just posted. I got the idea from a picture somebody put up somewhere of an artist's concept... Far as I know, it hasn't been built. (Haven't really done much research on that.)

I'm thinking a Ford Ranger or even a Courier cab/fenders with some kind of transverse FWD drivetrain in the back. I'd love to transplant a FWD 4.6 aluminum V8 from a Lincoln Continental into it... Heehee.... Just at the daydream stage right now, but when I finish the Slotus... (And is that EVERRR gonna happen?)
Attachment:
Mutant.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 28, 2016, 12:57 pm 

I always thought my next step was to build a custom period retromod flat bed car hauler for taking. Like a 50s or 60s dully flatbed diesel commercial truck with a modern diesel drivetrain.

Like this:

http://www.autoquid.com/car-detail/other-pickups/Chevrolet-Other-Pickups-Custom-1948-chevrolet_322164581067.html

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: September 28, 2016, 2:17 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I'm thinking a Ford Ranger or even a Courier cab/fenders with some kind of transverse FWD drivetrain in the back.

There was a guy who showed up at the local SCCA autocross with a Datsun pickup with a midships Toronado transaxle and 455. Very well done build.

PostPosted: September 28, 2016, 10:19 pm 

TRX wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
I'm thinking a Ford Ranger or even a Courier cab/fenders with some kind of transverse FWD drivetrain in the back.

There was a guy who showed up at the local SCCA autocross with a Datsun pickup with a midships Toronado transaxle and 455. Very well done build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuHIemMF4kY

Build Log

PostPosted: September 29, 2016, 1:06 am 

FieroReinke wrote:
I always thought my next step was to build a custom period retromod flat bed car hauler for taking. Like a 50s or 60s dully flatbed diesel commercial truck with a modern diesel drivetrain.

Like this:

http://www.autoquid.com/car-detail/other-pickups/Chevrolet-Other-Pickups-Custom-1948-chevrolet_322164581067.html

I've got similar ideas involving my grandpa's old 1948 Mercury M-68. Mechanical C model Cummins, an 8 or 10 speed Eaton, 19.5 wheels, full air ride, deck on a hydraulic ram so it's easier to load and can haul cars bigger than the deck would normally allow. It would probably be easier to put the cab and front sheet metal on something like an FL70 Freightliner than to build it all from scratch. And I'd probably get a lot more use out of a bush beater 4x4. The Mercury has been sitting behind the barn since my grandpa bought his new truck, in 1966. A few more years won't hurt it any.
Kristian