LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeepers Creepers!
PostPosted: November 16, 2016, 9:10 pm 

I was under the car last night on my creeper. As usual, the creeper wheels got tangled in the trouble light cord and I couldn't move to exactly where I needed to be to undo a bolt. Too lazy to clear the cord from the wheels, again, I just rolled over way over on the creeper to my right, stretched out, got the wrench on the bolt that I needed to remove and gave a mighty yank. At the same time I yanked I heard and felt a "pop" from one of my right ribs. "Crap, I've felt that before, when I broke ribs playing hockey. I couldn't have done it to myself could I?", I said to myself. Sure enough. A broken rib from lying on the creeper's wheel mount (circled in yellow in the picture) and point loading the rib. Who'd a thought that a creeper was dangerous?

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 6.59.16 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Jeepers Creepers!
PostPosted: November 16, 2016, 10:41 pm 
We are Slotus!

OUCH! Damn, I bet that hurt... Got it all taped up now, or are you just gonna tough it out? Either way, take it easy for a while, no picking up Fiat 500's or anything else semi-heavy, OK?

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 17, 2016, 8:08 pm 

I've broken ribs twice, and once was while wrenching under a car. Too little space, too much effort on the wrench.

PostPosted: November 18, 2016, 1:10 am 

arg. I hate hurting myself doing inane things. I'm just finishing up 2yrs of injury from pulling on a breaker-bar with my guts against the hoist (hernia).
Hope you heal quick! Time to buy a pad-lift or something to get off the creeper.

PostPosted: November 18, 2016, 1:14 am 

I never understood why creepers had to be so narrow. My shoulders are wider than any creeper I've ever used.

I finally took to spreading an old blanket out to keep from getting concrete rash and worming my way underneath.

A friend put one of the fancy epoxy "coating systems" on his shop floor. He left it smooth instead of applying a textured finish. He demonstrated how slippery by laying on the floor, putting one hand under his Plymouth, and pulling himself under. Oddly, I didn't have any problem walking on the stuff...

PostPosted: November 18, 2016, 2:26 am 

Makes me appreciate my old fashioned flat wood creeper all the more.
No funny bumps to create pressure points.

I've go a two-post lift but it seems there is always something on or under it so the creeper remains in use.