LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Locost Magazine?
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 4:18 pm 

@Evlshnngns
I don't have access to that kind of data about this site, but my model would be less commercial than the Mustang sites in any case.

@nick47
Well, thanks for the offer of a subscription, Nick. I certainly do agree with you about having something to look forward to. Also, I think it's great when a publication gives you enough information to let you successfully try something new, something that you wouldn't have done on your own because you thought it was too difficult.

Sadly, you are correct about the level of writing these days. It seems like writing is all dumbed-down now, and the PC desire not to chance offending anyone in any way by what you write has further limited candid, humorous writing.

@KB58
Given your two books (Kimini & Midlana), you have an interesting perspective, Kurt. Although I'm not thinking of a book, there are some similarities between book and magazines. I'm not thinking of trying to replace Locost.USA as a source of information or community. Instead, I'm thinking of a publication that would serve as a complementary resource, going much further in depth on subjects, collecting valuable information in one place versus the 5, 10, or 20 threads you might have to read here on Locost.USA to get a complete perspective.

This thread certainly has been helpful. I thank everyone to responded. My thinking has changed already and I'm thinking of other models like a website with downloadable content, some free, some with a modest charge ($2-$5 say) and maybe a quarterly publication in print or print on demand.

So, for now, I'll get back to completing my own build. Without it, I wouldn't have the level of credibility I need and want to do the other things I've been thinking about.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:46 pm 

Lonnie, keep us posted as you flesh out some of these ideas! :D

PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 12:11 am 

OK, it's been almost 5 months since the last post (mine) on this thread.

Lonnie, Just found a new magazine out there that is carrying on where the old "kit car" mags left off. The title is "ReinCarNation" http://www.rcnmag.com. Editor is Steve Temple, formerly of the old guard of home built car mags. Instead of kits, RCN focuses on "CONTINUATION, REPLICA AND LOW VOLUME AUTOMOBILES". Not sure where Factory 5 Racing fits in with that description, but there's an article on FFR's big Huntington Beach whoop-de-doo!

Thought you might find this interesting. :wink:

PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 2:17 am 

The "Fine Woodworking" and "Fine Homebuilding" magazines might be a better model for a magazine serving this community. They both contain detailed "how to" articles, comparison tests for tools and short tips for assorted tasks. Over time, some of the tips seem to be for how to do the same thing but they can also be seen as different ways to skin the cat.

PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 10:46 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Lonnie-S wrote:
@KB58
Given your two books (Kimini & Midlana), you have an interesting perspective, Kurt. Although I'm not thinking of a book, there are some similarities between book and magazines. I'm not thinking of trying to replace LocostUSA as a source of information or community. Instead, I'm thinking of a publication that would serve as a complementary resource, going much further in depth on subjects, collecting valuable information in one place versus the 5, 10, or 20 threads you might have to read here on Locost.USA to get a complete perspective.

Understood. My feeling is that the Web has caused a fundamental shift in the ground rules - in an unfortunate direction. Young people (who've never not known the Web) seem to be of the mindset that everything should be free and feel no compunction - or even guilt - that the creator of said information should be entitled to any sort of compensation. Faced with that mindset, I don't see how print magazines can last in this age of entitlement. An e-magazine might succeed if it's cheap enough but even then there's that sense that it shouldn't cost anything at all.

FWIW, a few times a year I do a search to see if anyone's put up a PDF version of my book - I expect it to happen eventually. The "good" thing is that neither book sells in the millions, so people are too lazy to hack them!

PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 11:33 am 

The problem with magazines is they eventually succumb to serving the advertisers not the target audience.

Perpetuating the producers salary takes precedence, ethical boundaries become fuzzy, National Enquirer here we come!

And what about the trees? We have to save the trees!

So "we" can put more on boats and sell them overseas.

PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 1:34 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Yeah, that^. You hit the nail on the head, that the publications degrade into "articles" which are simply wordy ads for whatever product is being presented. Objectivity becomes highly suspect when the manufacturer is also an advertiser.

PostPosted: August 14, 2017, 2:33 pm 

I'd subscribe, even if there was a fair bit of advertising. Heck, if the ads were for Locost-appropriate products, I'd be all over them!!

I can get my Road & Track (which I've subscribed to for over 30 years) and other magazines online, but I still prefer the print version.

http://zetec7.webs.com/