LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 9:00 am 

After considerable discussion, Barb and I have decided it is time to ditch the five speed and go with automatic transmission. Our declining physical abilities are at odds with the desire to continue driving and the manual trans complicates driving, especially under stressful conditions, such in traffic in cities we are not familiar with.

This is in the Duratec powered Alpine. It pretty well limits our transmission choices to a Duratec bell housing equipped A4LD or a stock 5R55. The 5R trannys are computer controlled, which means an after market computer controller. I Have difficulty with computers, especially the installation phase.

Anybody have any experience with these things? How difficult are they? Which would be most appropriate for our situation? Would we be better off with a converted A4LD?

Bill

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 9:48 am 

I don't have any direct experience with an aftermarket TCU, but I can recommend the "MegaShift" controller.

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L60e.html

It's able to control up to a 7 speed, and has a great following.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 6:55 am 

Uhhh, no. That thing is my worst nightmare. A science fair project that has no demonstrated success with a Ford 5R55 transmission. I wouldn't know where to start and no one to ask.

Bill

PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 10:26 am 

BBlue wrote:
After considerable discussion, Barb and I have decided it is time to ditch the five speed and go with automatic transmission. Our declining physical abilities are at odds with the desire to continue driving and the manual trans complicates driving, especially under stressful conditions, such in traffic in cities we are not familiar with.

My wife and I are in the same boat. I've been looking at some of the Japanese and Euro market light trucks which had vacuum-over-hydraulic power clutches. They look like repurposed Girling remote power brake mechanisms out of older British cars. I've also considered using a honking big stepper motor and a thumbwheel on the shifter... it'll be a while before I have to make a final decision.

Quote:
This is in the Duratec powered Alpine. It pretty well limits our transmission choices to a Duratec bell housing equipped A4LD or a stock 5R55. The 5R trannys are computer controlled, which means an after market computer controller. I Have difficulty with computers, especially the installation phase.

For that motor in such a light car, why not just go to an ordinary non-electronic three speed auto?

The Ford C4 is actually lighter than a T5 and clutch, and smaller. There were bellhousings for the 2.3 Pinto and Cologne V6 bolt patterns. Aftermarket support for the C4 is huge. The only electrical components are switches for the back-up lights and neutral safety.

The little Borg/Warner box was used by a zillion Japanese and British cars, and is about the same size as the C4. If it was a small foreign car with an automatic in the 1960s or 1970s, there was a 75% chance it was made by Borg/Warner or a licensee. (Aisin, for example) Way more bolt patterns than the C4, parts still reasonably available.

There are adapter plates for the Duratec; surely *something* would cross to a non-electronic box you could use.

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 6:02 am 

How about an early A4LD? A Duratec auto bell housing is supposed to be a bolt on. They can be built to be nearly bullet proof and the only electronics is the solenoid engaged converter lockup.

Bill

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 1:05 pm 

Bill, just an FYI. According to Wikipedia, the later A4LDs also had "electronic shift" to 4th gear. Still, seems pretty minimal on the electronics!

PostPosted: October 12, 2017, 3:48 pm 

BBlue wrote:
Uhhh, no. That thing is my worst nightmare. A science fair project that has no demonstrated success with a Ford 5R55 transmission. I wouldn't know where to start and no one to ask.

Bill

Understandable, it took me a while to find the forum post where someone verified they used one on that transmission, and they never posted a detailed log of it.

I did find a verified compatible controller option you may like, but it's quite expensive.

https://www.powertraincontrolsolutions. ... ontroller/

The TCM-2800 is $750, with an additional $190 for the 5R55E harness.

No affiliation, but figured I'd drop it in as an option.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 7:46 pm 

Thanks everyone.

I'm leaning toward the A4LD, my driving style has matured over the years, a simple, old fashioned unit will suffice. But there are still issues. Switching to an automatic for such a car is a pretty traumatic event in this household. My wife and I realize it is best for us, even though we prefer manual transmission. Our sons, who will probably end up with the car, don't seem to care about our needs or automatic transmissions. Event to be worked out.

Does anyone know how the solenoid shifting is controlled? Does the switch keep the solenoid continuously engaged? Are they latching solenoids, so only momentary switching is used? On the dual solenoid units, can the converter be locked up while in 3rd gear?

Can anyone know where I can find this kind of info?

Bill

PostPosted: November 1, 2017, 2:36 pm 

Wrap all the manual transmission bits in plastic and put them in a box, and let the kids convert it back if they have a mind to.